Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Based on other sports I watch with second screens, I'm sure the TSN broadcast is at least 20-30 seconds behind what you would get through a second screen (especially if not from a Bell/TSN source).

I'm not sure if you would want to know about a goal 30 seconds before it happens on the TSN feed.

Canada is so far behind other countries for content. It's sad that all this exists, and TSN probably has the rights to distribute it, but chooses to take the lazy/cheap way again.

Hopefully, in the next few years various Internet based providers (such as DAZN) will up there game significantly and put TSN out of business in 10 years.

·
Registered
119 Posts
meanwhile in the US

In the US there are a variety of ways to access 4K World Cup matches. Hisense is delivering 4K HDR streams of every World Cup on its H6E, H8E, or Laser models, with the Fox Sports World Cup app (for cable subscribers). AT&T’s DirecTV network is broadcasting all games in 4K HDR, and Dish is showing 56 of the 64 games live in 4K HDR. Comcast Xfinity X1 customers will be able to watch on-demand a day later in 4K HDR, and Layer3 TV / Altice will also be broadcasting in 4K.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/15/17467958/world-cup-4k-hdr-streams-broadcasts-us-uk-opinion

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
just watched the portugal spaign game where christiano ronaldo got a penalty shot 2 mins into the game and scored for portugal, by the way im watching this on tsn4 (toronto)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Has anyone seen any information on whether TSN will have the alternate camera feeds available via their app like CBC did in 2014 and like every other international broadcaster will be offering this year?

I emailed them and as usual I got zero response and couldn't find any info on their site. I also won't be shocked if they don't offer it considering how terrible their digital service is.
TSN started advertising their new VR system. Search TSN VR and it has 3 different viewing angles plus some other options like Highlights and more.

I'm really enjoying it and the app works really good on my ipad. The only thing that I dont understand is that why TSN didn't advertise this app before!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
25.8 Million Canadians Make the FIFA WORLD CUP on CTV, TSN, and RDS a Resounding Success

A total of 25.8 million viewers watched the FIFA WORLD CUP on CTV, TSN, and RDS, it was announced today, accounting for 72% of the Canadian population.

An average audience of 3.9 million viewers watched the FIFA WORLD CUP Final on Sunday. Audiences peaked at 5.4 million viewers at 12:53 p.m. ET as France secured their second-ever FIFA WORLD CUP victory. That was the most-watched match of the tournament, with a total reach of 9.3 million unique Canadian viewers, or 26% of Canadians, tuning in for the Final. Canadians watched a total of 200 million hours of coverage during the tournament on CTV, TSN, and RDS.

You can read more in Bell Media's self-congratulatory press release.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Two takeaways from the press release:

1/ The fact there is no mention of previous World Cups means this tournament didn't rate as good as 2014.

2/ "TSN Direct users accounting for 38% of all live streams" – either TSN had a huge number of people sign-up for TSN Direct (whether they continue their subscription after the World Cup would be interesting to see) or not a lot of cable subscribers used TSN's streaming because it is garbage.

When streaming TSN, I mostly used the Bell Fibe app/site so I wonder if or where those viewers figure into ratings numbers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
CBC numbers in 2014 were better.

30.7 millions tuned in at some point, vs 25.8 for TSN.

4.93 millions for the final vs 3.9 for TSN.

It's a significant difference, although for the final I understand that the 2018 teams are not as sexy as 2014's.

There was a 15% drop in the USA too. Ratings in Italy and Germany were higher though. Weird, one not qualified, the other eliminated in the first round. Go figure...

Best world cup ever??? Not so sure.

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/worldcup/cbc-fifa-world-cup-watched-by-canadians-in-record-numbers-1.2706905

·
Registered
989 Posts
TSN first showed the World Cup in 1986 and as recently as 2006. There was a thread on this forum about the history of World Cup coverage in Canada, but I don't think the archives go back that far.

·
Registered
989 Posts
CBC numbers in 2014 were better.
That's not a surprise. The time of the games wasn't as good for Canadian audiences as the Brazil World Cup. Also CTV and TSN aren't in as many homes as CBC, but that's not as big a factor.

There was a 15% drop in the USA too.
They had the same time zone issue and USA qualified for Brazil 2014.

Ratings in Italy and Germany were higher though. Weird, one not qualified, the other eliminated in the first round. Go figure...
I find that hard to believe. What's your source?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Those articles give the ratings in Germany and Italy for the 2018 final with no comparison to 2014. The numbers are both significantly lower than what I've seen for the 2014 final in those countries.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts