Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, less than one month till the start of the biggest event on the planet and it seems TSN is the only host broadcaster in the world who hasn't announced their TV schedule yet.

That said, we don't really need an official announcement from TSN to know what they are going to do:
  • TSN will have nobody at all in Russia and all pre- and post-game shows will be done from their studios in Toronto with a panel of three British-speaking hosts
  • All matches will use commentators from the world feed
  • All weekday matches will be on TSN because heaven forbid CTV doesn't air their terrible morning and daytime shows lest they upset the demographic that still pays for cable
  • Most weekend matches will be on CTV because no one cares about their weekend programing and TSN will be too busy showing the same CFL replay on all five channels
  • All matches will be streamed live on the piece of sh*t platform that is TSN GO with no additional feeds available like tactical cam, iso feeds, etc

Feel free to post your own predictions below :p

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have a feeling that TSN/CTV will mess up somewhere daily.

As with other sports I watch that are not the NHL/MLB/NFL/NBA/CFL - TSN will cut the games off, have feed issues, and would rather have 5 channels of Sportscentre going then any pre-game or post-game coverage.

They will list a game on TSN2, but then move it to TSN4 at the last minute to make sure the 3rd replay of a CFL game doesn't get the last few minutes cut off, or make sure they fit in as much Jay and Dan on instead of any World Cup coverage.

If you are PVRing the games overnight, always check what may move before you go to bed. If you have enough tuners available, use as many as you can to cover all the TSN channels.

·
Registered
124 Posts
[*]TSN will have nobody at all in Russia and all pre- and post-game shows will be done from their studios in Toronto with a panel of three British-speaking hosts
[*]All matches will use commentators from the world feed
I'm fine with this. Match analysis is mostly a waste of time. If a really want decent analysis I will get it online.

[*]All weekday matches will be on TSN because heaven forbid CTV doesn't air their terrible morning and daytime shows lest they upset the demographic that still pays for cable
[*]Most weekend matches will be on CTV because no one cares about their weekend programing and TSN will be too busy showing the same CFL replay on all five
Yup. Channel confusion is the big worry for me. Rogers picked an awesome time to remove their PVR scheduling feature from AnyplaceTV!

·
Registered
224 Posts
when are they going to post the schedule? so far CBC 2 , TSN 0 (one for sending at least 2 people to Brazil, and 1 for posting the schedule earlier)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also just realized I'm going to have a bitch of a time watching this at work.

Last time, I could AirPlay or Chromecast the CBC stream onto a TV at work and their stream had full DVR controls so if I had to take a call or something, I could rewind it if I missed something.

From what I've seen, TSN GO has none of these functionalities.

·
Registered
224 Posts
TSN go needs an update badly, but I think CTV has chromecast ability. Last world cup had amazing timing for us, we better get used to it since the next one is as bad as Russia's timing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
CTV and TSN have finally announced their TV schedule:

https://www.tsn.ca/fifa-world-cup-on-tsn-and-ctv-broadcast-schedule-1.1095011

We get 24 games on CTV out of 64 whereas FOX shows 38 games (over-the-air). CBC had all the games for free with a free app.

I also didnt see anything about 4K.

The only games on TSN2, are the ones that play at the same time which is stupid. just divide TSN 1,3 and 4,5.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Pretty soon TSN will be like other cable networks and resort to sitcom re-runs such as Coach, Who's the Boss, Cheers, Webster, or any other show with a loosely sports connected theme to fill the daytime schedule between lengthy coverage of Toronto sports teams by college student interns.

·
Registered
224 Posts
TSN did an amazing job with Euro 2016 but they're falling behind in Apps and on-demand options. Plus you cant get TSN without Cable subscription unlike Sportsnet NOW and CBC.

CBC had an app which you could watch the game (chromecast to TV) with the news. I just checked TSN GO and there is not even a section dedicated to World Cup !!!

PS. Friday feeling lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
I made a schedule for "cord cutters", if the schedule stays the same then you can watch a lot of games without cable:

Thursday, June 14 Russia vs. Saudi Arabia - CTV
Friday, June 15 Egypt vs. Uruguay - XXX
Friday, June 15 Morocco vs. Iran - FOX
Friday, June 15 Portugal vs. Spain - FOX
Saturday, June 16 France vs. Australia - CTV
Saturday, June 16 Argentina vs. Iceland - CTV
Saturday, June 16 Peru vs. Denmark - CTV
Saturday, June 16 Croatia vs. Nigeria - CTV
Sunday, June 17 Costa Rica vs. Serbia - CTV
Sunday, June 17 Germany vs. Mexico - CTV
Sunday, June 17 Brazil vs. Switzerland - CTV
Monday, June 18 Sweden vs. Korea Republic -XXX
Monday, June 18 Belgium vs. Panama- XXX
Monday, June 18 Tunisia vs. England -XXX
Tuesday, June 19 Colombia vs. Japan- XXX
Tuesday, June 19 Poland vs. Senegal- -FOX
Tuesday, June 19 Russia vs. Egypt -FOX
Wednesday, June 20 Portugal vs. Morocco -XXX
Wednesday, June 20 Uruguay vs. Saudi Arabia -FOX
Wednesday, June 20 Iran vs. Spain - FOX
Thursday, June 21 Denmark vs. Australia - XXX
Thursday, June 21 France vs. Peru -FOX
Thursday, June 21 Argentina vs. Croatia -FOX
Friday, June 22 Brazil vs. Costa Rica -XXX
Friday, June 22 Nigeria vs. Iceland -FOX
Friday, June 22 Serbia vs. Switerland -FOX
Saturday, June 23 Belgium vs. Tunisia -CTV
Saturday, June 23 Korea Republic vs. Mexico -CTV
Saturday, June 23 Germany vs. Sweden - CTV
Sunday, June 24 England vs. Panama -CTV
Sunday, June 24 Japan vs. Senegal - CTV
Sunday, June 24 Poland vs. Colombia - CTV
Monday, June 25 Uruguay vs. Russia - FOX
Monday, June 25 Saudi Arabia vs. Egypt- XXX
Monday, June 25 Iran vs. Portugal -FOX
Monday, June 25 Spain vs. Morocco -XXX
Tuesday, June 26 Denmark vs. France- FOX
Tuesday, June 26 Australia vs. Peru -XXX
Tuesday, June 26 Nigeria vs. Argentina -FOX
Tuesday, June 26 Iceland vs. Croatia -XXX
Wednesday, June 27 Korea Republic vs. Germany -XXX
Wednesday, June 27 Mexico vs. Sweden -FOX
Wednesday, June 27 Serbia vs. Brazil -FOX
Wednesday, June 27 Switzerland vs. Costa Rica -XXX
Thursday, June 28 Senegal vs. Colombia -FOX
Thursday, June 28 Japan vs. Poland -XXX
Thursday, June 28 England vs. Belgium -FOX
Thursday, June 28 Panama vs. Tunisia -XXX
Saturday, June 30 1C vs. 2D - CTV
Saturday, June 30 1A vs. 2B -CTV
Sunday, July 1 1B vs. 2A -CTV
Sunday, July 1 1D vs. 2C -CTV
Monday, July 2 1E vs. 2F -XXX
Monday, July 2 1G vs. 2H -FOX
Tuesday, July 3 1F vs. 2E -XXX
Tuesday, July 3 1H vs. 2G -FOX

Friday, July 6 Quarterfinal 1 -XXX
Friday, July 6 Quarterfinal #2 -XXX
Saturday, July 7 Quarterfinal 3 - CTV
Saturday, July 7 Quarterfinal 4 - CTV
Tuesday, July 10 Semifinal 1 -CTV
Wednesday, July 11 Semifinal 2 -CTV
Saturday, July 14 3rd Place Match -CTV
Sunday, July 15 Final -CTV

XXX means you need cable to watch those games and Quarterfinal 1 and 2 are probably the most important games that cord cutters might miss.
By the way, there might be a lot of mistakes here !!!

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Italy did not make it this year so I'm naturally not going to be watching it. I will find something else to do during this time unfortunately while I wipe away my tears.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anyone seen any information on whether TSN will have the alternate camera feeds available via their app like CBC did in 2014 and like every other international broadcaster will be offering this year?

I emailed them and as usual I got zero response and couldn't find any info on their site. I also won't be shocked if they don't offer it considering how terrible their digital service is.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Everyone I spoke to will be watching it via the TV Broadcast Feed and 99.9 percent of the people I asked had no clue what an alternative camera feed is and nor do they care. so it looks like its probably not going to happen any time soon, it costs money, no one is willing to pay a premium service for that, we live in a society where we are already taxed to the max, so no one is willing to spend more on this than they should

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No one should have to pay a premium. It should be additional second screen content as part of my cable subscription. This is what ESPN and Fox Sports are doing for their big events.

To answer my question, there are no additional streams from TSN. Seems to be plenty of HD streams offering the alternate angles so f**k Bell.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
no one wants additional second screen content, its a "nice to have" but not a necessity, at least not in this country, if people want it, they need to pay more for it at this time. this is canada, not england. we love the world cup but not as much as they do in europe, thats why europe has more choices for watching the game than we do.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts