Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to get the ball rolling for the upcoming playoffs. We can add a poll when we know all 16 teams who are in. Remember, here is the breakdown for who gets to pick what games...

1) CBC
2) CBC
3) TSN
4) CBC
5) TSN
6) CBC
7) TSN
8) TSN

Unless Toronto somehow finds a way to run the table and get into the post-season, I would think CBC goes and uses its first two picks on Vancouver (west coast games) and Montreal (east coast games). TSN probably then goes with WAS or PIT unless the Habs wind up playing one of those two teams, then the decision is easy. From there CBC gets another pick, and I am looking at either the remainder from WAS/PIT or going with DET/BUF (if they get in, and they probably get preference because it will primarily be all 7pm starts unless NBC picks up a game) since they both have boarder followings. After that it's probably a crap shoot until we know all the teams that are in...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
This hope that whoever made the first round picks for the CBC last year now works in the mailroom.

Shameful decision.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The other nite in Boston, the Habs played like a team that lost their soul. I can easily see them drop out of the playoffs. With all the hype for that game, they didn't amp up the energy one bit. Shameful.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With 14 points on the table, its a +/-7 won by the Habs or lost by Carolina for Montreal to clinch. Being 7 points up, it would be a colossal collapse and I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have. They aren't playing well. But it will be too much of a fall from grace for them to miss the playoffs at this time. They just need to win 3.5 of their remaining 7 games to earn getting in. Considering any help they may get from Carolina to make that number even smaller, I just don't see them not making the post season.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Originally posted by james99
This hope that whoever made the first round picks for the CBC last year now works in the mailroom.

Shameful decision.
Agreed. It was a terrible decision. All of CBC Sports should have been reprimanded severely.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hey alebowgm, do not forget about the fact that the Flames still have a chance to make the playoffs. Since the third pick goes to TSN, Calgary would definitely be chosen by TSN. The same scenario happened two years ago, Canucks and Habs were picked by the CBC followed by TSN choosing the Flames.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Based on the math, longshot as it is for Calgary to make the playoffs, they would end up as the 8th seed most likely, thus would play Vancouver, which would fall under CBC's first pick.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts

Shameful decision.
Agreed. It was a terrible decision. All of CBC Sports should have been reprimanded severely.
We had this discussion last year as well.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=123447

How is picking the Canucks (Canada's best team to win the Cup) and Pens (the defending Stanley Cup Champ) as bad choices for this first two picks?

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Since I assume you're not joking. Montreal is in Canada and is Canada's most popular team and the most famous and successful team in the world.

Like somebody passing over the NY Yankees.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Habs are Canada's most popular team despite the fact that last season, then Sens/Pens series had more viewers than the Habs/Caps series.

Only game 2, the Sens/Pens series had less viewers than the Habs/Caps.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1095635&postcount=131

And Ottawa is Canada's capital.

Like I said last year, CBC picked the Canucks first and they had a tough choice between picking the defending Stanley Cup champions and the one of the best players in the game and their opponents and the Habs and their opponents led by another of the best players in the game.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey alebowgm, do not forget about the fact that the Flames still have a chance to make the playoffs. Since the third pick goes to TSN, Calgary would definitely be chosen by TSN. The same scenario happened two years ago, Canucks and Habs were picked by the CBC followed by TSN choosing the Flames.
Your right, I meant to make mention of that and forgot to... but as others have said, it doesn't look great.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Originally posted by leaffan1967
Based on the math, longshot as it is for Calgary to make the playoffs, they would end up as the 8th seed most likely, thus would play Vancouver, which would fall under CBC's first pick.
The seventh seed is also a realistic possibility since three points separates seventh to tenth place. Yes, it is a longshot due to the games in hand Chicago and Anaheim have on the Flames.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Using the current standings, i think the picks by the networks breakdown like this.

1) CBC: Vancouver - Anaheim
2) CBC: Montreal - Boston
3) TSN: Pittsburgh - Tampa Bay
4) CBC: Phoenix - Los Angeles
5) TSN: San Jose - Nashville
6) CBC: Buffalo - Philadelphia
7) TSN: Detroit - Chicago
8) TSN: Washington - New York

The CBC will want nightly doubleheaders so that's why they take Phoneix - LA with there 3rd pick.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts