Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am generally happy with my Yamaha RXV-2500 receiver but it does not have HDMI. Given that I'd like it to switch a PS3, an HD PVR and now an HTPC (that does not have component output), I am thinking about an upgrade.

The latest Pioneer receivers seem to be nice but they are too big and will not fit my entertainment centre (I know it sucks but it is one of my constraints).

I am not seeing much info about the new Aventage series from Yamaha, do they represent good value? How about current Denon or Onkyo receivers, would one be a good purchase?

I have a Definitive Mythos speaker setup and probably don't need more power than my RXV-2500 has but I do need HDMI 1.4 though just to be on the safe side. I like the Yamaha GUI and would like to keep something similar. I also want an automatic setup like YPAO.

Any suggestions? Would someone have researched the market lately with similar criteria?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Value is a subjective thing so its impossible to answer your question.

What you also don`t mention is any of your requirements. Wattage, inputs, video scaling, 3D etc, hdmi passthrough, etc.

My suggestion is detail your requirements and then find the receiver from Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, ANthem, Pioneer and whatever other brand that best meets your requirements.

Whichever one has the lowest price and meets your requirements is probably your best value.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
If I were you I would look at the Yamaha RX-A2000 or RX-A3000.

Both are great value for the money and have all the features you will require.

There is a great review for the RX-A3000 at Audioholics from December:
HTML:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/rx-a3000

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Value is a subjective thing so its impossible to answer your question.

What you also don`t mention is any of your requirements. Wattage, inputs, video scaling, 3D etc, hdmi passthrough, etc.

My suggestion is detail your requirements and then find the receiver from Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, ANthem, Pioneer and whatever other brand that best meets your requirements.

Whichever one has the lowest price and meets your requirements is probably your best value.
If I were you I would look at the Yamaha RX-A2000 or RX-A3000.

Both are great value for the money and have all the features you will require.

There is a great review for the RX-A3000 at Audioholics from December:
HTML:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/rx-a3000
- Hugh, it's true that I did not provide all details although I was assuming that people here would know some of the stuff I'd like through knowledge of my RXV-2500. I was also hoping that some folks would have found out advantages/disadvantages or issues with the newer models on the market.

- dm_4u, that's the kind of input I was looking for. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I am generally happy with my Yamaha RXV-2500 receiver but it does not have HDMI. ...
Any suggestions? ...
Why not just get an HDMI switch (presuming you can go directly into your TV via HDMI or DVI but don't have enough ports?). You can get those for about $40. And short HDMI cables for about $2 from monoprice (maybe add $1 per for shipping to Canada). So roughly $50 or so for a switch and all the cables. Again presuming you can take the video via DVI or HDMI directly into your TV - otherwise forget it.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
i agree with hugh's point of view .. for no particular reason other than ... what else can be said ? value is very subjective. ..

be that as it may, i am in full agreement with dm_4u. These new releases from Yamaha (RXA2000/3000) .. are one of the class leaders.

If I were looking for new AVR I would seriously be auditioning the new RXA's. (and curious to better know the Anthem's)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
HTRs while good receivers are the bottom of the Yamaha line. Since you owned a receiver from the RXV series and were happy with the product I would suggest you stick RXs series (why would you take the chances with a lower end if you were used and happy with their higher end product).

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
i agree with hugh's point of view .. for no particular reason other than ... what else can be said ? value is very subjective. ..

be that as it may, i am in full agreement with dm_4u. These new releases from Yamaha (RXA2000/3000) .. are one of the class leaders.

If I were looking for new AVR I would seriously be auditioning the new RXA's. (and curious to better know the Anthem's)
The only issue I have with the Anthem's, (other than their price), is the fact that even their MRX-700 only has 4 HDMI inputs whereas the Yamaha's have 8 and to me, that pretty much describes their feature set in general (a huge difference).

I just think that for the money...and that's what the OP was speaking to "when he mentions best value" the Yamaha's feature set is head and shoulders above anything out there right now.

Sylvain...I suggest you go listen to the Yamaha's and listen to a couple of other receives that are priced similar...but since you are happy with the Yamaha sound you have...I think you'll be quite impressed how much they have improved on that "natural" sound and the sheer volume of outstanding features.

One final thing for you to think about is the fact that you could just keep your old RX-V2500 to expand the new Yammies to 9.2 (RX-A2000) or 11.2 (RX-A3000) systems (when you have a chance to add speakers in the future).
Not saying you should buy either of these because of that feature...but if you do ever want to expand...you would have the option.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
The only issue I have with the Anthem's, (other than their price), is the fact that even their MRX-700 only has 4 HDMI inputs whereas the Yamaha's have 8 and to me, that pretty much describes their feature set in general (a huge difference).
Hmm, out of curiosity, I checked a popular canadian retailer for the Anthem MRX series pricing. They do carry a hefty MSRP ... particularly when referring to the MRX-500, a second level (tier) AVR within the series, one up from the MRX300. Prices jump when entertaining purchase ideas for the MXR700 (and, when released, the 900)

Gee, for anything higher that the MRX500 .. meaning if I'm over the 2k mark, which one is for the MRX700 ... I would be looking to deal an Arcam AVR400.

having listened (welcomed into) at a local dealer (custom retailer), no question, Arcam sound really good. Perhaps for some, sound quality will ultimately be the deciding criteria when determining value. Albeit, at Frecker Audio I listened to the AVR600 from Arcam. I assume that the AVR400 (MSRP $ 2499 CAN) would sound identical ?

I just think that for the money...and that's what the OP was speaking to "when he mentions best value" the Yamaha's feature set is head and shoulders above anything out there right now.
certainly from my understanding. having toyed with the RXA (@ dealer), the highly regarded pro reviews, the innovation, features ..etc (the list goes on) ..buyers should be evaluating the RXA2000/3000. to my mind anyways.

Despite being a Yamaha AVR owner, I do not particularly consider myself a brand "fan boy" ... for me (generally speaking) I'm not too fussy what the label says on the outside. If it's a well done item, quality, features, sound, reliability ..etc .. I'm interested.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
(...)
certainly from my understanding. having toyed with the RXA (@ dealer), the highly regarded pro reviews, the innovation, features ..etc (the list goes on) ..buyers should be evaluating the RXA2000/3000. to my mind anyways.

Despite being a Yamaha AVR owner, I do not particularly consider myself a brand "fan boy" ... for me (generally speaking) I'm not too fussy what the label says on the outside. If it's a well done item, quality, features, sound, reliability ..etc .. I'm interested.

Sylvain...I suggest you go listen to the Yamaha's and listen to a couple of other receives that are priced similar...but since you are happy with the Yamaha sound you have...I think you'll be quite impressed how much they have improved on that "natural" sound and the sheer volume of outstanding features.

One final thing for you to think about is the fact that you could just keep your old RX-V2500 to expand the new Yammies to 9.2 (RX-A2000) or 11.2 (RX-A3000) systems (when you have a chance to add speakers in the future).
Not saying you should buy either of these because of that feature...but if you do ever want to expand...you would have the option.
pharsyde, dm4_u, thanks for the detailed thoughts; much appreciated. Anthem and Arcam are too expensive for me. I just spoke to my local dealer today and he was proposing me a NAD 765 for $2500 which also has few HDMI inputs. I don't think so.

I can believe that those brands/models might be better than others but I doubt I could tell the difference. Talking about differences, what about the RX-A1000? A bit less power but is that it?

HTRs while good receivers are the bottom of the Yamaha line. Since you owned a receiver from the RXV series and were happy with the product I would suggest you stick RXs series (why would you take the chances with a lower end if you were used and happy with their higher end product).
Good point but I was wondering if there were real quality/sound/feature differences (other than the re-badging).

Why not just get an HDMI switch (presuming you can go directly into your TV via HDMI or DVI but don't have enough ports?). You can get those for about $40. And short HDMI cables for about $2 from monoprice (maybe add $1 per for shipping to Canada). So roughly $50 or so for a switch and all the cables. Again presuming you can take the video via DVI or HDMI directly into your TV - otherwise forget it.
I guess that's a pragmatic solution but it would not work automatically when switching receiver inputs, would it?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not sure why you would need 8 HDMI inputs,

Blu Ray Player
Game system
HD PVR
Media Center or Game system 2

Also it seems you value Tech geek features in the brochure such as how many bells and whistles a unit might have. To be frank the feature that should matter most is how does the unit sound.

If Sound quality isn't what is high on your priority list then I would buy the cheapest thing you can find with the inputs you require.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Well...I do remember saying that when I got a 40 gig hard drive...I'd never need any more space.

As far as features go...at a price point of 2K...most Receivers will have a very similar sound...and it will sound good.

At that point it's best to pick the feature set that best suits the OP.

As far as the RX-A1000 goes, I have heard that there is quite a drop off going from the 2000/3000 to the 1000...although I have not seen a 1000 myself.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
As far as the RX-A1000 goes, I have heard that there is quite a drop off going from the 2000/3000 to the 1000...although I have not seen a 1000 myself.
i'm no expert here .. but have done a fair share of looking into these machines, including both pro reviews on the RX2000 & 3000 (and other forums)

layman terms from memory (quick ideas), some of the difference will be .. (between the 2000/3000 and the 1000) the 2000/3000 being true Adventage AVR's (meaning, feature the full suite of Adventage concepts)

- build (eg; H shaped framing, additional reinforcements)
- video (processing) scaling (and customization)
- power
- additional YPAO features (reflected sound control) ..YPAO tweaking, including Sub tweaks
- 2 sub preouts
- Ultra low jitter circuitry (I believe "ultra" being the difference, may want to check that)
- expanded/extended zone control/usage (perhaps why the 8 HDMI ?)

from my understanding, the RXA2000 is the sweet spot within the line ..meaning, of greatest value (depending) ..

if the OP is a technical person (i am not) ... the enhanced customization with the 2000/3000 should be of interest. the remote's rather generic labelling may be Yamaha's answer to allowing renaming of source, or ... pushing users to utilize their free ipod/itouch (ipad?) control software download. again, the zone control idea.

also, (picture this) ... if you have a latest windows tablet, you can install yamaha reciever manager software on it ? ...and control from the tablet.

anyways ... lots for the OP (or whoever) to check out prior to purchasing. IF, like your RXV2500, you are a long term user of AVR's .. get the best deal you can on the more advanced 2000/3000.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I would dispute this answer. It appears that the RXV and HTR series are essentially the same except that HTR named receivers are sold through big box stores like Futureshop and Best Buy whereas the RXV are sold through audio dealers.

For more see this thread http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22637&highlight=htr*+RXV*+difference on DHC where there is an in-depth discussion on this exact topic.

This sure looks to me like mattress manufacturers that have a slightly different model name at each store so as to make it difficult to comparison shop.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
10 months later, would there be new models worth considering? I still haven't made the move for various reasons. Or would there be good deals on 2011 models? I would now add network-ready as a desired feature but most have it these days. AirPlay could be nice and an iPod/Android control app would be nice too...

I am generally happy with my Yamaha RXV-2500 receiver but it does not have HDMI. Given that I'd like it to switch a PS3, an HD PVR and now an HTPC (that does not have component output), I am thinking about an upgrade.

The latest Pioneer receivers seem to be nice but they are too big and will not fit my entertainment centre (I know it sucks but it is one of my constraints).

I am not seeing much info about the new Aventage series from Yamaha, do they represent good value? How about current Denon or Onkyo receivers, would one be a good purchase?

I have a Definitive Mythos speaker setup and probably don't need more power than my RXV-2500 has but I do need HDMI 1.4 though just to be on the safe side. I like the Yamaha GUI and would like to keep something similar. I also want an automatic setup like YPAO.

Any suggestions? Would someone have researched the market lately with similar criteria?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally made the move and got a Pioneer SC-55. I am using an old wireless router behind my entertainment centre to provide wired network connectivity to the receiver, computer and PS3 (which could run on its own wireless of course).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice choice. Love the airplay feature on my SC-57
I see you got the top of line. Tell me, did you have problems connecting a PS3? I connected mine through HDMI and got the video but no sound. I also connected an optical cable for the PS3 and mapped the optical input to the PS3 HDMI input but without success so far. I don't know what to do anymore...

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Note that you cannot get HD audio via optical, only HDMI. You need to go through your PS3 user menus and set them up properly. Also, one of the most imporant audio options is under the video section. There are a lot of options that need to be set correctly in the PS3.

If you have an (old-fat) PS3, you cannot bitstream HD audio, so you need to set it to PCM to have the PS3 do the decoding. If you have a (new-slim) PS3, you can bitstream HD audio to the AVR and have it decode HD audio. The stream information should show on the front of the AVR or on an "info" screen. See the following FAQ - the part near the end on HD audio. Also, here's an FAQ on HDMI issues:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76082

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

1 - 20 of 30 Posts