Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=354393

The Canadian Football League released its full schedule for 2011, which starts June 30th when the Montreal Alouettes launch their quest for a third straight Grey Cup championship with a home game against the BC Lions.

"The Als' quest to achieve a rare 'three-peat' is just one of the story lines that will captivate our fans as our league makes its journey towards the 99th Grey Cup game this November in a beautifully refurbished B.C. Place in Vancouver," said Mark Cohon, Commissioner of the Canadian Football League. "It's going to be a tremendous year and, like millions of Canadians, we can't wait for the season to start."

The Als are attempting to be the first CFL team in almost three decades to win three Grey Cups in a row. The Edmonton Eskimos captured five consecutive Grey Cups from 1978 to 1982, and three in a row from 1954 to 1956, while the Toronto Argonauts won in 1945, 1946 and 1947.

Once again this season, Canadians can celebrate our league as they're gearing up to celebrate our country: RONA Canada Day Kickoff Weekend begins with the Als-Lions league opener on Thursday, June 30th and is followed by a doubleheader on Canada Day with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers visiting the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Toronto Argonauts playing the Stampeders in Calgary. RONA Canada Day Kickoff Weekend closes with the Western Division Champion Saskatchewan Roughriders hosting the Edmonton Eskimos.

All CFL regular season games are broadcast live on TSN. All Montreal Alouettes regular season games are also available on RDS.

Other highlights include:

- The Canadian Football Hall of Fame Game, featuring the Lions at Calgary on Saturday, September 17.
- Scotiabank Touchdown Atlantic II in Moncton, New Brunswick, with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats "hosting" the Calgary Stampeders on Sunday, September 25.
- The first ever event in the completely refurbished BC Place Stadium in Vancouver on Friday September 30, featuring the Lions and the Edmonton Eskimos playing under the facility's fabulous new retractable roof.
- An exciting slate of games on Thanksgiving Weekend, including a doubleheader on the holiday Monday featuring the Argos in Montreal and the Riders visiting Edmonton.

Scotiabank Labour Day Weekend this year features two traditional match-ups and two emerging rivalries. The Bombers visit Saskatchewan and Edmonton plays in Calgary. Hamilton, who finished second to Montreal in the East the past two seasons, hosts the Alouettes, and the Argos host the Lions.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The schedule has been released by the CFL. However, the TSN schedule didn't appear to be released. However, we know all the games will be on TSN/TSN2.

The one rumor I had heard floated on www.riderfans.com so take it for what it is worth is that the NFL Network wanted to televise the CFL preseason, namely the Riders. So what that would likely mean is that TSN would broadcast the preseason too. This likely explains why the Riders' first preseason game is scheduled for a Saturday night at home. Their second one is scheduled for a Wednesday night in BC, so I doubt TSN would be showing that one.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Will CFL games be broadcast on any major network (OTA) channel, like the NFL do, this year?
I haven't watch a CFL game since I dropped cable 2 years ago. I since enjoy the NFL games, too bad for Canada sports.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
All games will be on TSN (i.e. main TSN, not TSN2). The schedule section of CFL.ca confirms this. It is basically part of the CFL/TSN deal that all games air on TSN, unless one conflicts with something else TSN is required to air (which is basically the golf majors, Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup). The CFL works with TSN to avoid these conflicts.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Bump. CFL pre-season starts this Wednesday, and glad to see that TSN has picked up the pre-season games this year! Love to watch all the potential prospects...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Several days ago Christine Long, the showbiz reporter for CTV Montreal, mentioned the shows that would come to CTV next season. One the thing that she mentioned was the Grey Cup. While I do not know whether it was a slip, she was clear and with no ambiguity in mentioning CTV and Grey Cup.

Is there any truth in this?

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
Tough competition for game 1... BC @ CGY during game 7 of the Stanley Cup.

Bad weather expected for tomorrow night will make for an empty McMahon stadium for a game that only matters to the guys fighting for a job.

Parker's pro debut will be up against Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final between the Vancouver Canucks and the Boston Bruins. A cool and cloudy weather forecast for Wednesday night could also keep people away from McMahon Stadium and at home watching the hockey game.
"We were talking about it a little bit yesterday. We figured that's what was going to happen, but it's something we can't really let take our focus away," Parker said. "We're getting ready for a season and this being the first step in that season, we've got to come out and perform.
"Whether there's a lot of people here or not, based on that game, who is to say? I'm sure the weather is going to cause us a little trouble too, but we're going to come out and do the best we can and hopefully come out with a win.
http://www.qr77.com/News/Sports/Article.aspx?id=288812

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Is there any truth in this?
Last year the CFL schedule on the TSN website had the Grey Cup listed for CTV for a while. Then when new episodes of a few CTV shows were scheduled for that night, it went back to TSN. My guess is the game can air on CTV if they don't have to pre-empt new episodes of American programming to do so.

Other than that, I haven't heard anything about the Grey Cup airing on CTV this year. Their 2011 broadcast schedule has it listed for TSN.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Last year the CFL schedule on the TSN website had the Grey Cup listed for CTV for a while. Then when new episodes of a few CTV shows were scheduled for that night, it went back to TSN. My guess is the game can air on CTV if they don't have to pre-empt new episodes of American programming to do so.

Other than that, I haven't heard anything about the Grey Cup airing on CTV this year. Their 2011 broadcast schedule has it listed for TSN.
That is it, Josh. Program wise, I can not see CTV leaves its Sunday night line up. There will be The Amazing Race at 20:00 and Desperate Housewives at 21:00, plus new shows Once upon a Time at 19:00 and Pan Am at 22:00. I do not care about the new shows but the two veterans are quite ratings heavyweights.

In addition, that time of the year is the November Sweeps in U.S. TV business. The only thing I can think about is CTV dumping them to CTV Two. However, does the Grey Cup ratings worth more than those of those shows?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
CTV's idea in the past is that CTV and TSN (and TSN2 with Sunday Night Football) will combine to get better ratings by running regular programming on CTV and the Grey Cup on TSN. The only way I think they'd put the Grey Cup on CTV is if The Amazing Race and Desperate Housewives were repeats that night (which is very unlikely).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I watched last Friday's CFL games on TSN.ca live steam, and I was fairly impressed with the broadcast quality. There was no stutterring or interruptions, and the frame rate was smooth. It appeared good on my laptop, though when I plugged the laptop in to my 54" plasma TV I could clearly see the effects of heavy video compression.

If you are strictly OTA this is a good way to catch the games, at least Friday night games. I would hope TSN eventually expands this service to all games next season.

·
Registered
577 Posts
CTV's idea in the past is that CTV and TSN (and TSN2 with Sunday Night Football) will combine to get better ratings by running regular programming on CTV and the Grey Cup on TSN. The only way I think they'd put the Grey Cup on CTV is if The Amazing Race and Desperate Housewives were repeats that night (which is very unlikely).
Or they could always throw it on CTV Two

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to watch Calgary-Edmonton online today?

·
Registered
244 Posts
They only do the Friday Night Football games online. But you can watch it on your Bell smartphone on TSN Mobile TV or whatever it is that they tell you about non-stop nowadays.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts