Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well so far of the first 4 hours of tennis coverage on TSN, they have only showed the bottom line/ticker a few times throughout, which is a good thing. I'm glad it's not constantly on the bottom of the screen (knock on wood so far as its only Day 1) like it was in the past previous years.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The credit should go to ESPN, not TSN. If ESPN had the bottomline up, TSN wouldn't have a choice.

If they are doing this for day 1, then they should do it throughout the tournament. I do remember at Wimbledon last year ESPN2 didn't use the bottomline for one day of competition in the middle of the first week, but then they brought it back for the rest of the tournament. I'm hopeful that this means no bottomline for any of the 3 Grand Slams that TSN uses ESPN's feed for this season.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The credit should go to ESPN, not TSN. If ESPN had the bottomline up, TSN wouldn't have a choice.
I have a feeling tho when it is on TSN, they will show the bottomline regardless on what ESPN does, and when coverage is on TSN2 they might go away with it, since its not the main network... just my thought tho.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The only time that I have noticed that you are talking about was a couple weeks ago with the BCS coverage on TSN2 (Orange and Sugar Bowls).

ESPN uses the bottomline for all programming on ESPN and ESPN2 now except the NBA conference finals, BCS, Premier League, Monday Night Football and a few other events. All regular season NBA, college hoops and football, MLB etc. have the bottomline.

·
Registered
689 Posts
There has not been any ticker during the Australian Open. On Monday night coverage was delayed due to NCAA on the originating network, ESPN, for which there was a ticker. As soon as the tennis started we got a full screen of coverage without the distracting ticker. So that's an improvement over last year and one that seems to go against the ESPN branding efforts of the past.

Unfortunately, some of tonight's Day 3 matches may be missed by TSN as they are showing women's curling on TSN2. TSN will join the ESPN 2 tennis coverage at 10pm. According to the Australian Open schedule that means TSN joins after the completion of the 2nd round matches of Justine Henin and Caroline Wozniacki and with Roddick's match (no doubt the ESPN feature match) in progress. Mardy Fish v Tommy Robredo is also in progress but is unlikely to get much coverage unless Roddick's match is virtually over by the time coverage begins. Venus Williams is playing after Roddick so I doubt we'll get much men's tennis tonight.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Is there any reason why TSN can't broadcast live sports from ESPN3? Australian Open coverage is delayed until 11pm after an auto magazine show and a rerun of OTR. ESPN's website is a mess but from what I can gather there is NCAA basketball on ESPN2, the channel that usually has the tennis, and so it is on live on ESPN3, presumably until 11pm.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can always watch the tennis on tsn website streamed, until 11pm and you have the choice of three courts to choose from. The Nadal match is on the main court right now... I think its ESPN3 coverage but not sure tho.

ESPN3 is like what TSN.ca is doing by streaming it only over the computer.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Musashii,

Despite watching about 12 hours of tennis on TSN over the last couple of days that's the first I heard about them live streaming. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol I hate to burst your bubble but they have done it since the tourney started this week and when other live programming have pre-empted the tennis from airing on TSN, for example tonight.

This will continue through out the tournament so be sure to check tsn website before it goes live on TSN/2 as they might show early coverage of it.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Is there any reason why TSN can't broadcast live sports from ESPN3?
The quality is well below that of anything you would watch on TV. In the past they used the ESPN International feed a couple of times during the Australian Open, but I guess they figure it isn't worth the cost or maybe ESPN International isn't broadcasting it in English anymore.

TSN picked up the ESPN3 feed of a Switzerland-England EURO2012 qualifier as part of a last minute deal and the PQ was beyond horrible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts