Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if TSN/TSN2/TSN.ca are covering the AFL again this season? The preseason NAB Cup started yesterday and with the strange format for the opening round, I was hoping that perhaps NAB Cup coverage would start next week with the traditional matches. Anyone heard anything?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
TSN2 didn't air the NAB Cup last season, so as far as I know they won't have it this season either. I fully expect TSN2 to air a "game of the week" again this season, but don't expect an announcement on the schedule until late March. Last season it didn't come until a couple days before the season.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had been checking AFANA's website and they had nothing. Looks like ESPN/ESPN3 isn't carrying the NAB Cup either. So I am not surprised then, seems to me TSN was only simulcasting ESPN's broadcasts. I don't recall any of them differing from what ESPN was showing.

This would be so much simpler if one of the cable companies would actually Network Ten from Australia. I still have no idea why the CRTC approved it if nobody has ever carried it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't recall the broadcasts actually having the ESPN watermark last year...

Btw, to everyone else out there: These games are typically shown live at 9:00 p.m. Pacific Time on Saturday night all through the summer, and provide a great substitute for hockey once the playoffs or your team's season is over. And it's utter chaos on an oval field (until you understand the rules, but you don't need to); you cannot find anything more entertaining on television.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
No TSN didn't take the ESPN feed. They got a direct feed from Australia, either the Seven feed (for any games Seven aired) or some sort of international feed for Ten and Fox games. ESPN2 in the US only aired a few games all season, the rest were on ESPN360.

I wish I lived on the west coast. In Atlantic Canada the games are either on early in the morning (around 6:30) or at 2:00am. Neither of those timeslots are great for me. I wish that TSN2 would air one Saturday morning game and one Saturday night game. That way viewers on both coasts would get a game in the best timeslot possible.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I meant was that ESPN/ESPN3 (their broadband channel) and TSN's schedule never differed. I don't recall seeing a game on TSN that ESPN/ESPN3 didn't show. I imagine they are using the same raw feed from Australia which I imagine is a cheaper feed for TSN instead of finding their own feed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts