Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an LG LE425400 LED set, primarily because of the minimal depth when wall mounted.

The Canadian market sets come with a network connection (wired and wireless via an optional USB dongle), and two applets for YouTube and Picassa. The U.S. sets have a few more applets including Netflix. I contacted LG to find out when/if they would be providing access to Netflix Canada via firmware update, and this was their response:

LG is excited that Netflix is available to Canadians. The success we enjoyed in the US with the first generation of Netflix on Blu-ray players and TVs demonstrated the strong interest and convenience to our customers.

We are working directly with Netflix to ensure that all of our 2011 NetCast products fully incorporate Netflix Canada functionality, however due to the new hardware requirements of the latest version of the Netflix platform, current and previous LG TV and AV products cannot be upgraded via a firmware or software update.

Incremental product releases with Netflix isn’t the approach we want to take. Instead it’s our opportunity to enhance the Netflix feature in 2011 and do so across our full line of products.

Regards
Dave H.
LG Customer Service
LG Canada

Not a major deal for me, as I stream Netflix via my PS3, but thought others who own or are considering these sets might be interested.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Not a major deal for me, as I stream Netflix via my PS3, but thought others who own or are considering these sets might be interested.
I'm disappointed in this, especially with my recent purchases. My only option is to stream Netflix 480p over the Wii :eek:. Not the best resolution option!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for posting this info. I have been trying to find out when LG will provide Netflix support to the LG BD570c.

The american version (LG BD570) does support Netflix, "hardware" should not be a valid exuse. $%@#!

Maybe is time for an Apple TV?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, it seems strange that the LG devices do fully support the American Netflix service with the existing hardware, yet they claim it's incapable of handling the Canadian service. As both services are providing the same type of content, it's hard to understand how the hardware could be a limiting factor.

Other manufacturers like Samsung (according to other reports here) have succesfully added the Canadian Netflix service via firmware updates, using their existing hardware platform.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What a shocker. I almost find it hard to believe it can't be done with a firmware upgrade? That doesn't make sense?

I just bought the LE5400 and I'm still within the 30 day return window...I wonder if I should return it. But then who knows how long it will take before a decently-priced LG LED LCD set with Netflix comes onto the Canadian market.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Since LG is clearly not interested in providing ongoing support for their TVs, I would be looking for another brand of TV.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Well I'm in the same boat with 2010 and 2009 large screen LG plasmas.

However .... why would any manufacturer want to retro-fit their firmware to support Netflix or anything else for that matter? I mean, what's in it for them except for cost and grief. They've already made the sale - you've bought your 2010 LG TV and likely won't be buying another one for many years. I can't see many people actually returning their TV over this. Most will be beyond the return period and for those that aren't they'll probably get over it rather than go through the effort of returning it. I know when I finally got my 60" in and installed on the wall I certainly didn't want to be taking it off, returning it, and repeating the process again with another brand TV.

So I see a tiny percentage of their customers returning their new TVs over this. Where as developing, distributing, and supporting new firmware would be far far more costly.

And as far as doing it for "general customer satisfaction" I don't think they give a damn about that either. In 5-10 years time the vast majority of customers will buy a new TV based on what's the best option at that time and if that's a brand they've had an issue with before, most of them will just suck it up and buy anyway (money talks and the best deal will win regardless of what's happened in the past). A small number will hold the grudge all those years later and the manufacturers account for that as normal brand loyalty churn.

I don't see why any of these companies would retrofit any of their past product lines (TVs or DVD players). Doesn't make economical sense.

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
I don't see why any of these companies would retrofit any of their past product lines (TVs or DVD players). Doesn't make economical sense
What if manufacturers of BR players used the same logic? Or PVRs? s I hope they provide a little more substance to the hardware limitation. Would the NA TVs not roll off the same assembly line? Or did I read that incorrectly?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't think it is an idea of retrofitting... I think that its all software. Because, if the US version of an LE5400 can run Netflix, then my LE5400 should be able to run it too.

I heard there is a way to get into the service menu and change the "country" setting for this set, between US, Canada and Mexico, and based on that, the appropriate widgets/software will show up.

But I don't know how to get into the Service Menu, information about it on the net is vague...it sounds like you need a special IR code for your remote control.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
What if manufacturers of BR players used the same logic? Or PVRs? s I hope they provide a little more substance to the hardware limitation. Would the NA TVs not roll off the same assembly line? Or did I read that incorrectly?
I wrote "DVD" but I meant to write "Blu-Ray". I don't see any advantage to the manufacturers in adding or enabling any new functionality to their TVs or Blu-Rays.

They've made the sale, they've got your money, there's nothing for them to gain whether it's providing a new version of the firmware or enabling code that's already there. From their perspective it's best to leave things alone as much as possible (unless dealing with a critical bug fix).

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Customer satisfaction?
Quoting myself in post #7: "And as far as doing it for "general customer satisfaction" I don't think they give a damn about that either."

Don't get me wrong: I have Sony Blu-Ray players (two of them), and LG Plasmas (two again) that I only wish would get upgraded. But I have little hope as it just doesn't make any sense to me that they would.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a Toshiba HD-DVD that received several firmware updates - before and even after Toshiba conceded the HD format war to Sony. I have a Yamaha receiver that I've updated with new firmware as well, and a PS/3 that is continually updated with firmware versions providing new functionality. All these manufacturers already 'made the sale' - as have many other manufacturers that continue to provide improvements and enhancements through firmware.

My new LG TV just downloaded and installed an internet update to their NetCast service three or four days ago, though I have no idea what it contained - it still has no NetFlix, and just the Picassa and YouTube applets. Obviously they have some commitment, as do the other manufacturers, to improving their customer experience through firmware updates.

Samsung has provided 'after sale' Netflix Canada access to their devices through firmware updates. I don't think it's unreasonable to look to LG for the same. If I had just bought this set, and didn't have an easy Netflix alternative like the PS3 connected, I'd box it up and take it back. At only an inch thick, it's not that heavy.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Majority of those critical bug fixes and similar enhancements that usually mean no change to the user experience. The cost of those is justified by reduced service calls on firmware bug issues.

WestCDA: Can you list me three enhancements or extra functionality that you're now enjoying on your Toshiba, Yamaha, or LG with those firmware upgrades? (My LG TV came with Youtube and Picassa on the base firmware. )

The PS3 is a different situation - it's designed to be an expanding platform and we've already seen Netflix added there.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any machine with upgradeable firmware is capable of adding new features and functionality. What is provided obviously is up to the manufacturer - and as I said LG is showing up poorly compared to others like Samsung. The LG set is hardware capable as Netflix streaming is included in the US versions of the same set.

From Samsung's website:

Netflix, the leading Internet movie subscription service, is now available in Canada on select Samsung Blu-ray and Home Theatre Systems. For a monthly fee of $7.99 Netflix members can instantly watch unlimited movies and TV episodes streamed right to their home television with an Internet connection. With Netflix, there are never any due dates or late fees.

How to prepare your current Samsung Blu-ray Player or Home Theatre System for Netflix? If you currently own one of the following models listed below, you need to upgrade the firmware on your device to the most recent version

Netflix Canada on Samsung

·
Registered
38 Posts
Consumer Market Comedy Show

Honestly the release of the netflix service has created a Consumer Market Comedy Show.

Everyone wants the update, some people got it... some people do not.

I set up a LG set a fiew weeks back at a friends residence...

I had also Stayed there Briefly as there were other family activities and The Dog likes me, so there you go... (-:

Anyways I had Given the new LG set a good run... ( Was replacement for Damaged Bravia / display issue on a stand / physical activity / damaged screen / $2000 set... $1300 to repair... LG was under $900 new.. )

My point is this... The set is driven on open source software... so if the manufacture does not crank something out.. chances are someone somewhere will decide to do so..

Although the set has nice picture quality, I was not impressed with the intergrated media center... sure it will play a fiew mp3's from a stick.. and maby a fiew Jpg's... but had a comedy show of errors for other file formats.

I would not boo hoo too much about set media intergration, because going that way is only asking for a problem anyways.

but ya, you can see the typical BS as the american Chasis of many products in canada not just TV's has support for the new service..

Canadians got the dirty end of the stick... or in reality lied to.

The chasis are the same... the only difference was firmware...

so whats the big deal... how come they are not cranking out the updates in canada...

I tell you EXACTLY Why...

* In order to enable the consumer products with the update that is required for some new services, there IS A SMALL RISK OF DAMAGE TO THE CONSUMERS PRODUCT.

The Typical ' Flash ' Update that is required is rather simple in nature.. however... also kinda more complex that some consumers have any understanding of.

the result is... the ' not knowlegable (Stun) ' consumer.. does a improper flash to their equipment.. and Breaks the hardware ' They Brick it.. '
( People are Stun... thats the bottom line.. )

Now the Consumer is crying because the ' UPDATE ' Broke the TV or BD Player... And then The Consumer Points the Finger at someone and says well it was all fine and dandy until this update thing...

So the manufacture Attitude is... IF ITS NOT BROKEN DO NOT TRY TO FIX IT..

Thats why there is such a serious Lag on Hardware updates of the Exact same Chasis in different regions.. Some regions already had the feature during the time of manufacture. Yet Some Features were Omitted in other regions yet both products are manufactured the same time, plant and run.

Now.. the little BD disc box... well those are kinda small...

now lets address all the 50 inch sets on peoples walls... its a tearup to have the things serviced... and in general kinda a large problem...

not everyone is electronics savvy... people do not understand the flash process..

some people understand the process, and see a avenue to create a fraud and cry wolf to try and get a newer TV... by intentional power removal during the flash process... ( but blame the flash process for the problem.. )

Sorry that one don't go past me either... not when you see how much of the flash was Zeroed out before it was written to.. you can tell how many seconds the flash was going before the consumer decided to pull the plug and mess up the update...

The best option in my opinion for the manufacturer to keep the consumer happy is offer the update to the consumer that wants it by a qualified service person.

Takes about 5-10 minutes to flash the firmware and test things out and be done...

if that does not work... and your still stuck...

you gotta love open source... its just a matter to Jtag the set.. or have a Flash loader that will preform the task, with a Dump from the other Regions Rom Flash.

now.. that I have explained all of this.. let me say something...

I have had Netflix since the very first day it was offered in canada...

I have had it here about a month... my significant other likes the service.. im not a movie buff.. so it holds little value to me..

it is something however to light up the homes in canada with something to watch in a cost effective manner, with a good variety of content, via the internet in a clean Legal Manner.

if your set does not have a upgrade... chances are you would buy a cheaper blueray box anyways to light it up with..

is any of it worth the money...

Try this...

go online and sign up for a account... and try the service on your laptop or desktop computer..

if its worth it to you to have this service.. then consider options to upgrade to proper equipment for viewing in your livingroom ect..

in all honesty... im not a fan of blueray either...

im happy just watching the news after supper.. and my woman can watch shows she likes at her leasure.

as for TV sets...

you get what you pay for but prices are coming down..

LG.. ya its a nice set.. but what did you really invest into at the end of the day...

- everyone in one way or form has to have a box... regardles of what they are trying to make.. connected to it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
This Netflix "old platform"/'new platform" explanation is predicated upon Netflix Canada only deploying the "new platform".

This begs the question, when will Netflix USA discontinue the "old platform" to reduce costs? On that day, I anticipate USA Netflix/LG "classic" customers will be very upset.

On the other hand, LG Canada could be blowing smoke. In that case,
my BD390C remains Netflix-crippled because LG already made the sale and does not care.

Contrast this with Toshiba. Toshiba updated the firmware for every HD-DVD player they ever made, a full eight months after the format was dead and the last players discontinued. Bug fixes yes. No new features. But they gambled that mortal consumers could flash their players and not brick them.

Why would Toshiba do that? I'll tell you why.

Toshiba want to make the NEXT sale.

Very soon my shopping cart will contain a new 3D TV, receiver and BD.

Go ahead LG Canada, see if you can earn my repeat business.

·
Registered
90 Posts
IR command to access config menu

I ask again... does anyone know where I can get the special remote control to put the TV into config mode and tell it is a US set? Then, I believe, there might be a chance of allowing Netflix to appear on the TV.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Contrast this with Toshiba.
I've had good luck with Toshiba products. They don't seem to get much love from reviewers though. It's not that they get bad reviews, it's more like no reviews. I have a couple of Toshiba TVs. Couldn't find any reviews or much of anything else out about them apart from the Toshiba site. The price was right, they looked Ok and I took a chance. I have a couple of Toshiba DVD-RW drives as well. Probably the best I've ever owned and they were inexpensive. OTOH, LG seems to get lots of good reviews but I find their products are not as well made and don't perform as well as some other brands. Now I find out that LG doesn't do product support for their TVs either. That agrees with my experience with their DVD-RW drives. The support was there but very hard to find and not available from LG Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if a working Netflix update was available but LG Canada just doen't want to support it. I've experienced that with Canadian distributors as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts