Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2010 Doctor Who Christmas Special

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  rfielder 
#1 · (Edited)
Saw an ad on Space last night for a new Doctor Who Christmas special to air on Boxing Day at 8:00 pm Eastern Time.

#16 ·
I was barely patient enough to wait for the HD version to become available elsewhere, but it was definitely worth waiting the extra day or two for the enhanced video as well as the audio. Having the BBC 1 HD logo in the upper left corner of the screen is pretty cool too.

#10 ·
Not to poop on Russel Davis's storylines but Steve Moffet's plots are always way much better. They are darker in storyline but very interesting to say the least. Just think about the episode in the first season with Christopher E. in the WW2 era with gas masks and the little girl asking "Are you my mommy?". Until this day, that episode still haunts me....

My wife and I thought the part where he goes back in time and appears on the projection image right there in a flash was awesome. The ghost of future idea was incredible.

The songs Abigail was singing was beautiful. All in all, just a very good show.

Has anyone watched the confidential show about it? Very nice stuff in there.

#11 ·
Spoilers Ahead

--

To offer a dissenting opinion, I thought that this year's Christmas special was one of the weakest of the lot, not coming close to last year's "The End of Time". One of the major plot points relied on all the main character's being stupid (the Doctor not questioning/noticing the timer was counting down, Abigail and then Kazran not telling him anything), never a good sign for me. Kazran's redemption was a bit too trite, given that he still had thousands of people frozen despite the Doctor's influence. Also, is he really going to change after Abigail passes away? Last, but definitely not least, not enough Amy. :)

The trailer for Series 6 looked pretty awesome with the return of the Ood and River Song. Neil Gaiman wrote the third episode which should be interesting. The BBC is splitting the season into two parts (spring and fall) which is a departure from past years.

#12 ·
Danster, that was a little boy, not a little girl. :)

I saw Confidential. I was surprised that the head music composer Murray Gold procrastinated for so long and only had two days left to write that fabulous piece of music! It's a good thing he works well under pressure!

Hopefully they'll release that piece as a single. Katherine Jenkins' voice is truly hypnotic.

#13 ·
See how it affected me? I thought it really was a little girl! :eek:

Yeah it is amazing how good a song it has been when he took his time to do it only to find out that the singer was only available for the next few days or so. Talk about working under pressure.

Usually, in the newsgroups, you can find the actual mp3's of the show under alt.binaries.drwho.

#14 ·
In that case Danster, I won't ask you how "Blink" has affected you. :p

As for the MP3, I would prefer an official release, and not something rebuilt from the original broadcast. Hopefully Jenkins will include the song in one of her upcoming releases if the producers of Dr. Who don't release it themselves.

EDIT: Just found the date. The score for the episode will be released on CD February 21st.

In the meantime, you can make do with this version.

#15 ·
I'm not a big opera fan by no means but voices like hers and Sarah Brightman are nice to hear.
Blink, wasn't that the one where when you blinked, the statues would make their move ? If so, I haven't blinked since then. Eyelids duct taped in the open position. Didn't want to take any chance so I had eyes tattooed to the eyelids as well. You're never too safe.... :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.