Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at Princess Auto today - they have a bunch of Philips brand antenna gear (as they usually do)
But there was a new item, SWS2083W/17
Preamp with twinlead or coax inputs and outputs

Specs:

Noise: 4db
Amp: 28 dB VHF, 22dB UHF

It's not the lowest of noise preamps, but for $20, it's probably perfect for someone just testing out OTA or on a budget.
The high performance ones are often $100+ before you get them shipped or into Canada, so this is probably a good starting point for some people unsure if a preamp is needed or not.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I suspect it might also overload easily, in addition to the high noise figure. It might do for testing in weak signal areas but I suspect it would be useless in urban areas., for example, where Princess Auto stores are located. BTW, I've seen fairly good deals for preamps on Amazon.ca and some Canadian west coast etailers.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, that one's different.

If you google the model number (SWS2083W/17) you should be able to get some pics. I can't post them directly as the board censors the URL.

In the picture it is shown with a grey box (the part that goes on the mast) and a black brick with both 300+75ohm input/outputs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks I got the pics, at $20 I would be interested if you come accros the website for the amp for $20 please send me a private message, just remove the .com and say dot com, it will let it through. thanks

·
Registered
851 Posts
been there done it. I do not recommend that pre amp at all. Like ING Direct says "Save your money".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts