Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Trendnet wireless G router and I already have a Linksys router -b. My question is, can I use the one router to dispense the signal where the ever leaves dead spots? If so, does anyone know how I can go about in doing this? Thanks!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Only if your Linksys router supports DD-WRT. But since you said it was a wifi-B router, I don't think it can be used to be a signal extender. Google DD-WRT.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
It won't act as an access point but you can create two wireless networks. Turn off DHCP on the second router though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
From the above responses I'm guessing you want to bridge them wirelessly.

If you can hard-wire them together I think it would work. You would have to turn dhcp off on one of them though. It may not be seemless though when switching from 1 router to the other.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I have two wireless routers connected. (there is a thread around here explaining how I did it) The second one serves the basement of our house. I put it in because signal strength was weak in some parts of the basement.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Same as hugh. I set my second router with dd-wrt third party firmware running wifi-g to use it as a wireless bridge due to weakness of signal from basement to highest floor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts