Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,would like to ask some help,built 2 UHF antenna from one of the forum member and just stack with the connection.Use only one antenna i got 58% signal,if i connect the to i got less signal,around 53% .Something is wrong.Try to combine them with different combiner and i got less signal if i connect the 2 antenna. The combiner coax is equal length. No clue from here.Please if you have any good idea,tell me. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Which antenna design are you referring to?
Are u stacking them vertically one on top of the other, or horizontally, side by side?
Are the two antennas identical?
Did you try reversing the balun leads of one of them?
Do you have any photos of what you are doing?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which antenna design are you referring to?
Are u stacking them vertically one on top of the other, or horizontally, side by side?
Are the two antennas identical?
Did you try reversing the balun leads of one of them?
Do you have any photos of what you are doing?
Hi majortom thank you for your fast replay,have photo from the hole setup,just need to find out how to upload.2 antenna Horizontal connection. Never try to reversing the balun leads.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
combining two antennas side by side makes a much more directional antenna.
My guess is that your double antenna is aimed perpendicular to the window more than directly to the transmitter.
Thank you nikiml for your replay,think you are right but my situation is not to good to catch the signal because i have a apartment building 100 meter front of my balcony. Try to get the best possible spot to have good signal. Not complaining,just like to have better signal. (have 32 Chanel)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now i try what majortom suggested reverse the polarity on one of the 4 bay and signal strength is better.Before was 58 % and now 65%. So think the reverse was helping me.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
But providing your rabbitears.info radar report can also help others help you.
If you could, post your report along with explaining which direction relative to the report that antenna is facing...
This time of year can also be difficult to determine what is actually happening...
It is also important that you understand what it is your expecting from your antenna's radiation pattern. take a read at the hdprimer article on ganging antennas.

Your reversed polarity of one of the two antennas is "Example 1". Normal would be Like Example 2 and Example 3.

Example 1 is basically what I do here to place local stations in a null, while putting two distant markets on either of the two lobes that are created when flipping the balun circuit board upside down on one of the two antennas, to feed 180 degrees out of phase with the other.
db8e_outofphase

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But providing your rabbitears.info radar report can also help others help you.
If you could, post your report along with explaining which direction relative to the report that antenna is facing...
This time of year can also be difficult to determine what is actually happening...
It is also important that you understand what it is your expecting from your antenna's radiation pattern. take a read at the hdprimer article on ganging antennas.

Your reversed polarity of one of the two antennas is "Example 1". Normal would be Like Example 2 and Example 3.

Example 1 is basically what I do here to place local stations in a null, while putting two distant markets on either of the two lobes that are created when flipping the balun circuit board upside down on one of the two antennas, to feed 180 degrees out of phase with the other.
db8e_outofphase
Thank you majortom,here is some report from rabbitears.info:RabbitEars.Info
right now antenna facing 150.magnetic.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
With the two antenna trick, reversing the polarity on one and facing the CN tower, that's probably a good thing. As the local CN Tower should be in a null. polarity reversed, cn tower in a null
This is what I would expect ur antenna pattern to look like if it were aimed at the CN Tower, and the baluns hooked up normally... You can see how that would cause problems with all them strong signals in close proximity.

Either way you'll probably have to play around with the exact aim in order to dial it in like nikiml suggested.
But understanding what the antenna pattern is supposed to be is the first step in dialing it in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the two antenna trick, reversing the polarity on one and facing the CN tower, that's probably a good thing. As the local CN Tower should be in a null. polarity reversed, cn tower in a null
This is what I would expect ur antenna pattern to look like if it were aimed at the CN Tower, and the baluns hooked up normally... You can see how that would cause problems with all them strong signals in close proximity.

Either way you'll probably have to play around with the exact aim in order to dial it in like nikiml suggested.
But understanding what the antenna pattern is supposed to be is the first step in dialing it in.
Thank you again majortom,every antenna is different,most importantly the place where you try to recive the signal.But every little trick is help,like that simple reverse the balun wire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts