Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the early to mid 1980’s, ONE of the Buffalo OTA stations (not sure which one), made a ‘Technical Difficulties’ slide comprised of a Godzilla toy ripping up a toy transmission tower. It was the best trouble slide ever. Any chance that anyone has a copy of this trouble slide? I web-searched high and low and only came up with Promo The Robot.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I bet it was WGRZ, I remember seeing some odd late night loss of signal things during Barry Lillis's "Cat's Pajamas" late night show when I was in college. Wasn't uncommon for them to lose a feed while they were airing some schlocky movie. Spent many a college night after last call watching schlock, having a couple nightcaps and smoking a few, now legal, cigarettes.

You might want to inquire on their facebook page, it seems there are a lot of fans from that era that kept pretty detailed records.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe the station you are looking for was WUTV Ch. 49 Buffalo back when they were an independent. They use to have an all night campie sci-fi run of shows and movies, and because of their low budget any time the person running the VTR was a having problems they would show that slide. The original slide was similar to the Godzilla photo above (cropped for 4:3 tv screen) until some network revived the Godzilla movies and forced them to stop using it. The replacement was a stuffed toy (or puppet) and a tower made of sticks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe the station you are looking for was WUTV Ch. 49 Buffalo back when they were an independent. They use to have an all night campie sci-fi run of shows and movies, and because of their low budget any time the person running the VTR was a having problems they would show that slide. The original slide was similar to the Godzilla photo above (cropped for 4:3 tv screen) until some network revived the Godzilla movies and forced them to stop using it. The replacement was a stuffed toy (or puppet) and a tower made of sticks.
My mistake , it was actually WNYO Ch. 49 Buffalo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My mistake , it was actually WNYO Ch. 49 Buffalo.
They now broadcast those 'campie' sci-fi shows and movies on their OTA 'Comet TV' [CH. 49-3] channel , but without that 'technical difficulties' slide. The 'running' joke back then was , that the operator to 'wasted' to run the equipment , so the slide was his 'saving grace'.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
WUTV - yeah, that would make sense, Buffalo’s answer to CityTV. Glad somebody else remembers it - I was usually in some form of late-night-self-abuse whenever it showed up,on air, so it was doubly-funny. Those were the golden years of tv.
WUTV 29

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's good tvmaster. It's been a good bit of fun trying to recreate the look.
It was really well done - if you can image a HO Scale train set seen in a department store window, that was the level of work they'd gone to - surrounding buildings, sky, mayhem, ground cover - it was a fine bit of artwork. The power tower/lines were those big, steel towers you see north of Toronto across the greenbelt. He had it partly uprooted and on the way to the ground. And I really want to think Godzilla was a stuffed toy version, but totally from the look era of the one you've used here. It was probably the best Technical Difficulties slide I've ever seen. Days gone by....

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
Of course.

GODZILLA RULES!! He kicks ass every where he goes.
Hell if he was to show up on the BC coast the Canadian Navy & Army would turn run, cuz they know GODZILLA WOULD KICK THEIR ASS!!!

GODZILLA RULES!!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Well, MCIBUS, at least Godzilla could knock out WUTV Ch. 49 Buffalo , back in the day. ha ha Godzilla would be no match for satellite TV though. LOL

·
Registered
908 Posts
As soon as I posted my reply, I knew that someone would say that Godzilla could knock out the uplink center. Very true. Lucky for us that North America has more than one uplink centre. ha ha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts