Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1980’s, Buffalo channel ‘Technical Difficulties’ static slide.

4K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  tvmaster 
#1 ·
Back in the early to mid 1980’s, ONE of the Buffalo OTA stations (not sure which one), made a ‘Technical Difficulties’ slide comprised of a Godzilla toy ripping up a toy transmission tower. It was the best trouble slide ever. Any chance that anyone has a copy of this trouble slide? I web-searched high and low and only came up with Promo The Robot.

#2 · (Edited)
I bet it was WGRZ, I remember seeing some odd late night loss of signal things during Barry Lillis's "Cat's Pajamas" late night show when I was in college. Wasn't uncommon for them to lose a feed while they were airing some schlocky movie. Spent many a college night after last call watching schlock, having a couple nightcaps and smoking a few, now legal, cigarettes.

You might want to inquire on their facebook page, it seems there are a lot of fans from that era that kept pretty detailed records.

#5 ·
I believe the station you are looking for was WUTV Ch. 49 Buffalo back when they were an independent. They use to have an all night campie sci-fi run of shows and movies, and because of their low budget any time the person running the VTR was a having problems they would show that slide. The original slide was similar to the Godzilla photo above (cropped for 4:3 tv screen) until some network revived the Godzilla movies and forced them to stop using it. The replacement was a stuffed toy (or puppet) and a tower made of sticks.

#13 ·
It was really well done - if you can image a HO Scale train set seen in a department store window, that was the level of work they'd gone to - surrounding buildings, sky, mayhem, ground cover - it was a fine bit of artwork. The power tower/lines were those big, steel towers you see north of Toronto across the greenbelt. He had it partly uprooted and on the way to the ground. And I really want to think Godzilla was a stuffed toy version, but totally from the look era of the one you've used here. It was probably the best Technical Difficulties slide I've ever seen. Days gone by....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.