Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been some mention in various threads about 16:9 standard definition ATSC video. How is that sort of signal displayed on a SD STB, such as the one Rogers provides? Does it appear letterbox or full height, chopped sides? Or perhaps a selectable mode, as on the HD STB? DVD players have been able to switch modes for many years.

· Registered
9,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^^
That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping the cable companies would also make SD shows 16:9, but I guess they won't if that's the result. I wonder why the SD STBs were designed that way? DVD players have been able to handle wide screen, on a 4:3 set, for many years, as can OTA converters.

· Registered
9,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^^
Currently most digital broadcasters provide 16:9 HD and that signal is converted to 4:3 analog OTA and digital & analog for cable. So, the 16:9 content is there. If the SD STBs can properly display 16:9, as either letterbox or full height (viewer selected), on a 4:3 set, then there'd be no need to carry 4:3 digital channels on cable. There are many shows for which 16:9 SD is adaquate. I fully understand the need to maintain 4:3 signals for analog OTA, but why should digital signals, even SD, be limited to 4:3? As I mentioned, it easily and cheaply done in DVD players and OTA converters. Why not SD STBs? Can't they handle that flag?

· Registered
9,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^^
On Rogers, there are HD and SD feeds of many channels. The source obviously is 16:9 HD, which is then down converted to SD. So, getting 16:9 content is not an issue these days. Even cheap consumer cameras can do it. The point is getting 16:9 on all channels, where possible. However, if the SD STBs can't handle it properly, there's no point.

· Registered
9,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the SD STB handles it properly, it'd be either letterbox or full height, sides chopped. What would be really nice is if the Zoom button could be used to switch between those two. I don't get that channel and no longer have a SD box, so I can't try it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.