Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5,735 Posts
even though 16:9 SD is a valid standard, not many broadcaster's have the required camera's, or studio gear to properly support it, or im assuming such. Likewise, since everything has been traditionally broadcast in 4:3, even 16:9 shows were letter boxed in a 4:3 frame for regular TV broadcasting, there is no proper way to "detect" a 16:9 feed, because and if you notice a lot of time, the TV stations will put their on-air BUG or Logo or symbol over the black bar space, thus ruining a perfectly good 16:9 frame.

I'm not sure how a 16:9 broadcast will look on an SD box connected to a 16:9 wide-screen TV, I've never seen one personally, nor do I know of any SD broadcasts on DIGITAL cable in format, and if they do exist, im betting they would be cut off at the sides, as the SD box probably might not support it, anyone on here to confirm this? or have witnessed something different? please chime in. thanks

· Registered
5,735 Posts
SD Widescreen may very well be 480 P (Progressive), but our SD boxes may likely only supprot 480i (Interlaced) thus you need to support EDTV resolutions to see it, which the HD box does support since it does both 480 standard and 480 widescreen in addition to 720 and 1080. The standard SD box e940 does not mention anywhere it supports 480 widescreen in the specs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.