Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Samsung Galaxy Note 8, I live in the Vancouver area, and have the 604 area code. I can phone out fine with 10 digits, but anyone trying to phone me has to put a 1-6o4 before my number. I asked Bell, they said it was a technical glitch, and would take up to 48 hours to fix. It still did not work, I phoned again, and was told it was because there are so many cell phones now that you have to dial the 1 first. Has anyone ever encountered this before, and I don`t want family friends, or work having to pay long distance to call my cell ?

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
^^^^
That is unusual. Did you have a previous phone? Did it work without dialing 1? Any chance that phone is based in an area that's long distance? I suspect that one who told you it was necessary really didn't know what they're talking about. Call again and escalate.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
I agree. Bell probably messed up and needs to correct it. With number porting, a 604 area code mobile phone number could be just about anywhere in North America. In this case it shouldn't be anywhere else.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the number changed ! The number they had originally given me was from Squamish, which is outside the calling area. I only wanted this phone for local calls for business mostly !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts