Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going with a Panasonic AX-200U Projector that will be exactly 16'7" from the lens to the screen (give or take an inch). The viewing distance while sitting on my couch will be about 11 feet, but I can move the couch forward or backward around 2-3 feet. If I go with a 120" screen will it be too big or should I go with a 106" or something in between. I'm worried that I'll be looking upwards a little too much with a 120" screen (looking at 105x59 inch screen currently). My celing is 7'3" high, and i'll want some room underneath my screen for my center channel speaker (so i'll want the screen mounted as close to the ceiling as possible if going with 120").

I'm looking at 16:9 aspect ratio as I watch a lot of sports on HDTV cable. The viewing angle will be very negligable I believe since my couch is centered in the room.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Are you considering a fixed screen or a retractable?

Is there the possibility of projecting directly on the wall? In other words is the wall bare with no windows or outlets etc?

If the wall is bare and free of obstacles then I would suggest you start by projecting on the wall and see what size of screen you like. The Panasonic smooth screen allows for closer viewing without screen door effect so you can probably go with a larger screen. Some people don't like the screen larger because they can't take in the whole image without moving their head/eyes back and forth.

By-the-way, if the wall is bare you could consider a DIY painted screen solution to get started with. There is a recently developed DIY screen paint mix called Black Widow that works very well with the bright Panasonic AX-200U. If your preference is for a white screen I can recommend some DIY options for that as well.

What color are the walls and ceiling?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
120" from 11 feet would invoke nausea in me. I am not joking when I say this and is not an uncommon occurence among some individuals.

From a picture quality perspective, I think you are too close and would see a bit of screen door effect since your probably not outside the eye's visual acuity distance. If you were using a high end DLP or LCOS projector maybe but a 720p projector would still be too fuzzy for my liking. FWIW, I found the PT100 a little fuzzy and moved up to teh 1080p

I have 100" from 16 feet or so and love it. I experimented with 120" at 16 feet and found it too big for my preference.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
I have 106" with a throw distance of about 20' and viewing distance of about 14'.

120" is too big for you. I would go with a max. of 106" but a little smaller is probably better.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I have a 100 inch screen and my sitting distance is 10 feet. Trust me, that's plenty big. I found that moving my seating (sectional in my HT) back 1 foot eliminated the nausea problem Hugh mentioned above.

Consider 100 or 106, rather than 106 or 120. You will also gain in quality with a little bit less light diffusion.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, probably going with a fixed screen, don't want to bother with paints, diy screens, etc.

I think i'll go with a 100" or 106", now that i've made a few more decisions.

With the Panny AX200U, would a screen gain of just 1.0 work fine in a totally light controlled room? The reason I ask is because I hear that the AX200U is quite bright, and that it isn't neccessary to get a screen gain of 1.4.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Check the numbers on projector central but with that projector you should have ample brightness with a 1.0 gain screen. The 1.0 gain will give you better contrast so with that projector I would recommend it

Ideally about 16fl is a good number but I suggest the calculator should say at least 22fl because you are going to want view your movies in non-torch mode (ie. lower brightness setting) and you have to allow for 20 to 30% bulb dimming after 1,000 hours.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went on Projetor Central to do my calculations, if I went with a 106" screen, would I HAVE to have my throw distance at 14'3"? Or can I still have my throw distance a little further back at 16'7"?

Good news though Hugh, if I go with a 106" screen I move up to 23fl or more with a 100" screen.

Thanks

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
According to the specs you can go anywhere between 10 and 20 feet for a 100" diagonal by adjusting the zoom.

Generally speaking you get better picture quality as you move further back (ie/ go towards 1.0x zoom) but you lose brightness so its a trade off.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks... upon further review, it looks like my fl drops to 20fl at my preferred throw distance. I think i'm going to go with a Draper fixed screen of 106" or 100" diagonal for a 16:9 aspect ratio and Gain of 1.0.

It'll be a few more months until I get everything set up, but i'll keep everyone posted for all their help.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i sit about 15ft form the screen and have the ax100 also some people have posted that you might get hte screen door effect, with hte panasonic there is no screendoor effect, with my screen 15ft away 120 is great i'de even go a little bigger, i hav ealso heard of people gettin sick from being to close but with DLP projectors, havent heard of any with LCD, i think 120 would be fine at 11ft, also depends on how often you will be watching the projector, if its a everyday use then it might be a bit much to be watchin all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sup

hello
i was just wounderin what a screen door effect was
and why it would take months to set up yr projector room/screen

i have a dlp projector and its sweet
prob like a 80 to 90 in screen
but i was woundering if a dlp projector would work for pc game in
it works for 360 ps3 blu/ray and hd tv
so would it hold the same graphics for pc

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks

thanks
my might do that but i will half to look closer at it
but its a sharp picture so i dont think that would bug me too much
plus for what it cost me it was so cheap

but to get rid of the Screen-door effect
could i buy a better screen

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The only way to reduce the SDE is to slightly defocus the projector or go to a smaller screen and sit back further. Some projectors have pretty slick ways of taking care of sde inside of the projector like the panasonic ax-100 and 200's. they are virtually sde free

·
Registered
6 Posts
THANKS

thanks man
but i dont think slightly defocus the pic would be good because then u got a pic thats unfocus
but i work as a multimedia and i look a video and pics a lot
so i got to look for unperfection stuff a lot
but what im saying is it looks great right now so im not going to touch it
but thanks

do u know if you need a high end projector to run pc games

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
What do you mean by high-end? As long as the projector is 720P the PC games should look the same as PS3 games. It is best to hook up the PC using an HDMI enabled video card. I have found the 15 pin connection doesn't give very good results. There should be little or no SDE with 720P-1080P DLP projectors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks
ya my friends wanted to know because he just plays pc games
and he seen the projector that was hook up to my 360
but i thought he should go for HDMI
SWEET THANK MAN

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
As long as the projector is 720P the PC games should look the same as PS3 games
I'm not sure if I missed something in the previous posts (I read them quickly), but how do you expect a PC game projected in 720p to look the same as a game running natively at 1080p?

I guess you mean PS3 games also projected on the 720p projector.

Sorry, slow brain this morning... I'm in Arizona right now and it's hot... too much Corona I guess ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts