Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
I find much of that to be too sour and cynical. Anyways, here's another "secret":

Beware of bosses who see the latest, trendy (and usually unproven) IT stuff at trade shows or in magazines and then want to know why you aren't using it since it is so great. Yeeeeeesh...

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Maybe sour but it really hits the nail on the head!

I think this one is true for many companies.

The pay in IT is good compared to many other professions, but since they pay you well, they often think they own you
My last IT job, I worked for an ignoramus who was a VP of IT (with no real background in IT) who forced to do updates on long weekends.

This was because he was an incompetent boob who micromanaged everything and wanted it done on a long weekend because normally it was so screwed up that it took all day Sunday and Monday to fix or restore.

I never met an IT staff that hated the head of the department more than him.

I should have known better when during the interview, I looked over to his credenza and saw the book SQL for Dummies. One weekend, he deleted several hundred thousand records on a production database and several guys had to spend an entire Saturday night and Sunday morning fixing the mess!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Not at all true in my opinion. Ran into examples here and there during my career but overall probably one of the best careers a person could have. I miss it since "Freedom 52" occured! :D

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Beware of bosses who see the latest, trendy (and usually unproven) IT stuff at trade shows or in magazines and then want to know why you aren't using it since it is so great. Yeeeeeesh...
As far as I'm concerned, that falls under #3 "Veteran IT professionals are often the biggest roadblock to implementing new technologies"

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
I worked both as an implementer of enterprise systems and on the client side and it seems like IT staff are like the rest of the world - some are good and some are bad.

Generally I found that it really was dependent on who was running the department. If you had a good stable forward thinking IT head, then you had a good department.

·
Registered
662 Posts
When it comes to IT work, I pretty much agree with what this guy has to say.

To each his own I guess but I find contracting gives me the freedom do what I want to do... which is more of development using the latest tools and tech as opposed to doing maintenance on existing apps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts