Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Telecommunications Alliance has announced that starting August 23, 2014, residents of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island will be required to dial 10 digits - the area code followed by the seven-digit phone number for all local calls.

The introduction of 10-digit dialing will pave the way for the addition of a new area code, 782, in November 2014, as the 902 area code reaches capacity.

Residents will need to add the 902 area code to programmed numbers in all of their telecommunications devices (including auto dialers, fax machines, computers and lifeline equipment) and verify that their alarm systems are compatible with local 10-digit dialing. All adjustments must be made before August 23, 2014.

Customers with telephone numbers that include the 902 area code will retain their numbers. Numbers with the new 782 area code will be assigned starting in November 2014 as the existing inventory of 902 numbers is depleted. Introducing a new area code does not affect local calling areas in any way.

Press Release.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
This is pretty much a simple change. No one's number is changed. All you have to do is dial 10 instead of seven digits when making a local call. The only issue will be with older auto dialers and maybe some computer software, also old, that assume that a 10 digit number is long distance and insist on putting the '1' in front of the number. However I doubt that few of those old devices are still in use. I went through this process in Toronto in the early 2000's. At that time there were still a lot of the old dialers. By now most have been replaced.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's a pain but after a few days you'll get used to it. Although with area codes like 902 and 782 it takes a bit longer with a rotary dial!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Nova Scotia and PEI get new area code 2014

Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island will get a new area code in November 2014. The code will be 782, this is being done because 902 is almost exhausted. Ten digit dialing will be introduced in August 2014. The CRTC has said that customers dialing seven digits will still have their calls go through, however they will be reminded to include the area code in future calls. This will stop on November 16 2014 when 10 digit dialing will become mandatory.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Well, that gives us 3 extra months to get used to the change. The original announcement stated August 23, 2014 as the start-up date..and now the CRTC states that November 16, 2014 is the date. Why do I have the feeling that the actual date may be something like February 2015?? Time will tell.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Would it be just more simple to introduce new local code (the 3 first number of the 7 digit number) instead of area code?

Here in NB we only have 1 area code for the entire province (506).

I remember when you only have to dial the last 4 digit if you want to call someone with the same local code has you.

There is 1000 possibilities for the local code (000 to 999). There is no logical reason for shortage.

Personally, I blame cellphone for these annoying changes...

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a bit of clarification - 10-digit dialing is available now. From August 23, 2014 to November 16, 2014, there will be a reminder if you don't use 10-digit dialing. After that it will be mandatory. Area code 782 will still be introduced on November 30, 2014 as originally announced.

I'm surprised they didn't have a reminder period in the original press release, since Manitoba recently switched to 10-digit dialing and we got a reminder period.

http://www.dial10.ca/en-CA/902-782-area/important-dates.htm

Dates to remember

Starting now
Business and residential customers can start dialing the area code followed by the 7-digit phone number for all local calls. Both 7- and 10-digit local dialed calls will be connected without interruption.

Starting August 23, 2014
Business and residential customers will have to adopt 10-digit dialing – the area code followed by the 7-digit phone number – for all local calls. If the area code is not dialed, the caller will hear a reminder message before the call is completed.

Starting November 16, 2014
10-digit dialing will be mandatory: business and residential customers will have to dial the area code followed by the 7-digit number for all local calls. If the 10-digit number is not dialed, the call will not be completed.

After November 30, 2014
A new area code, 782, will be gradually introduced and will be used in the same region as area code 902.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Concur with Dr. Dave. I switched all my auto-dialers/builtin phone books here on PEI to 10 digit dialing a month ago. No bugs were revealed so now we're ready for the official changeover next year. As I stated earlier the only issues will be with older dialers that automatically put a 1 for long distance in front of a ten digit number. Fortunately most of this older equipment is no longer in use so the changeover should be painless for most.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Would it be just more simple to introduce new local code (the 3 first number of the 7 digit number) instead of area code?
A new area code brings 1000x the number of just a local code, less any reserved/unavailable numbers.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Ummm... I can remember when, at our "cottage" on lake Huron, we had a party line...

Not only that, but I also remember when local exchanges were referred to by name....

Here in Hamilton... 52x= Fulton... etc...

:)

Cameron

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
@winterwolf Out of those 1000 possible combinations, some (like 0xx, 1xx, or N11) are not assignable to phone numbers. That leaves 792 exchanges. Out of those, only 94 exchanges are left (source: cnac.ca). Numbers are also being assigned faster than ever. There used to be one phone number per family (back in the 80s), but now there's one or more phone numbers per individual due to the preponderance of smartphones, VoIP, distinctive ring, and so forth.

The most common solution to this problem is to assign an "overlay" area code; nobody has to change their phone number, you just dial an extra 3 digits, and another 7.92 million phone numbers get added.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On November 16th 10-digit local dialing becomes mandatory for all local calls in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island

As of November 16, local calls will no longer be completed without first dialing the 902 area code.

The Telecommunications Alliance is sending a final advisory to businesses and consumers to ensure that all numbers stored in the memory of various communication devices have been programmed for 10-digit dialing.

"We are pleased with the participation rates among NS and PEI residents," stated Glen Brown, spokesperson for the Canadian Numbering Administrator. "However, we must highlight the need for callers to ensure that all numbers stored in communication systems and devices - particularly in alarm systems, Internet dial-up connections, building intercoms, and call forwarding devices - have been programmed for 10-digit dialing. This will help avoid any disruptions after the cut-off date of November 16."
Useful information can be found at www.dial10.ca/checklist

Network message

Starting November 16, local calls dialed with seven digits will be interrupted by a network message asking the caller to hang up and redial using all 10 digits. Telecommunications providers will introduce this network message throughout their network starting November 16 until November 23. It is a staggered roll-out that will gradually take effect throughout the various regions in both provinces until the network update is entirely completed.

New area code

Starting November 30, 2014, the new 782 area code will be available in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island using the overlay method. This means the 782 area code will coexist with the current 902 area code and will cover the same geographic area. Customers with telephone numbers that include the 902 area code will retain their numbers. Numbers with the new 782 area code will only be assigned to customers when the existing inventory of 902 numbers is depleted. Introducing a new area code does not affect local calling areas in any way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts