Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been posted before in the sticky's with diagrams, but I still can't figure it out. Or put my head around it.

I have a new Bell PVR 9241 and only 1 Dish with a dual LNB. (I believe it's a "single eye" LNB if I am saying correctly)

I only have 1 line coming into the house and do not want to bring another line into my house.

Currently the dish is pointed at 91.

I am not looking to get HD, but instead have 91 feeding into both tuners.

I have currently have 2 cables going from the dual LNB into a SW21 switch, and the single cable going into my house.

Is there any way to split this single line into 2 and have both tuners on the PVR work so I can record and watch TV on another channel or record 2 channels at once, etc?

I also have a line separator, but read on here that I have to have a DPP LNB in order to use the separator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
Seperators are apart of DPP and only used for DPP.

You could feed 91 only, but you need a line from each port of the LNB to each tuner of the HDPVR. Thats how legacy works. Call bell and get a free upgrade.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response.

What would they be upgrading? As mentioned I don't want to run a 2nd line into the house.

I should also mention I am in a very remote area of Canada where Bell does not supply installers/support (other than phone support)

I could suck it up and pay the going rate of $500 to have someone install a separate dish, as 2 are required to get HD in my location.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Normally, if your dish has two ports for two satellites, they would swap the legacy LNB for a DPP Twin, it would support upto any two receivers, one (RG6) line each and a seperator at the end to feed both ports of your HDPVR.

For your case, I would use that same dish, and get another dish for 82. I would then go online and buy a DPP single LNB to feed the input on the DPP Twin for 82. You could still just use the Twin and seperator for 91 only.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again.

I think I don't know what I am asking.

I have a Bell 9241 HD PVR.
I have 1 dish that has an LNB with two outputs on it. Both outputs are 91.

Is there a way to combine the 2 cables coming out of the LNB into 1 cable, then separate the cable just before it plugs into each individual tuner on the back of the receiver?

Aside from getting a new dish and messing around with switches, etc. If I can't do the above in anyway, would it then be easiest just to run a new line into my house and have just 91 feeding into both of my tuners?

Thanks again

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
You say;
I have currently have 2 cables going from the dual LNB into a SW21 switch, and the single cable going into my house.
So your current setup is wrong, that is the first issue. Please confirm that you only have 1 x LNBF......

Is there any way to split this single line into 2 and have both tuners on the PVR work so I can record and watch TV on another channel or record 2 channels at once, etc?
No.

What size Dish are you currently using.? If larger than a 51cm (20") then you cannot use a DPP Twin LNBF, as it is designed to fit the std Bell Dish.

To use just 1 line, you must use a DPP LNBF.

Running a 2nd line into the 9241 will give it full recording capabilities. Adding a 2nd Dish, aimed at 82 and then using 2 x SW21's will give you all that and HD as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help.

It looks like I have to decide whether or not to run another line into my house, or whether I need to pay up and just have someone hang another dish up.

To answer your question, because of my location (remote Northern Canada) the size of my dish has to be larger than Bell's 20" dish, and I have to have 2 dishes to get HD... and apparently use both of the tuner's on my receiver.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One last question on this.

If I run another cable from my LNB and put that cable into tuner #2 will I be able to use the 9241PVR as a SD dual tuner PVR?

So 2 separate cables coming from the 91 LNB and coming into the house and one cable put into the SAT1 port on the receiver and the other cable put into the SAT2 port.

·
Registered
620 Posts
From my reading you may be able to use a DP Dual LNB. This should be able to be connected to a DPP44 switch which will enable you to run one cable into your house and than use a separator to each tuner. Don't rely on me to decide if this will work though, do some investigation on your own.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Nice idea but not quite.

Using a DP LNBF to feed a DPP switch will reduce the switch to just a DP switch.

Using a pair of DP Dual LNBF's, 1 on each Dish and then feeding a DP34 switch (cheaper than a DPP44) and then running 2 lines into the house to each Tuner would work but then again so would a pair of Legacy LNBF's and a pair of SW21's.....

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yeah Pinza, I was earlier looking into updating my hardware with my two dish set up but it looked like a lot of trouble with little gain. Now that I know the DPP44 would lose it's ability to use a separator, it makes no sense.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Shouldn't you be able to solve this with a real DishPro Single LNBF and a DishProPlus separator? I don't work with these items myself, but here a quote from the product page from sadoun.com:

It has one output port to directly connect to one receiver (or by using the optional Dish Pro Plus Separator, you can connect to two single-tuner DISH Pro receivers, or one dual-tuner DISH Pro receiver).​

The reason this should work is that DishPro is a stacked signal so the single wire should contain all the signals from one satellite position all the time.

If the original poster wants to add a second dish for 82, he should be able to use another DP Single LNBF. If both dishes are connected to a DPP44 outside the house, he should only need one wire coming in.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
As I stated, a DP LNBF connecting to a DPP Switch means that you cannot use a DPP Separator, by feeding it with a DP LNBF you effectively create a DP44 switch.

You MUST be using a DPP LNBF to feed a DPP Switch to use a DPP Separator.

I have never seen a Separator that can feed 2 x single Tuner Receivers, they are made for feeding a Dual Tuner Receiver only.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is the product page I quoted from:

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/LNBF/DishPro-Plus-Single-LNBF.htm

A DPP separator will only feed 2 single-tuner boxes in a one satellite system. Since the separator only sees the odd and even transponders of one satellite, they both fit on the input and output wires with no problems. Both outputs will have the all the transponders from 91 all the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bell 9241

Is there a way to turn the mode of a 9241 receiver from duel into single tuner mode. Unable at this time to add a line and the PVR keeps trying to tape the line that has no signal. There is no switch under the front panel like other models.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts