Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/76-smartphone-tablet-computing-including-android-blackberry-ios-devices/)
-   -   How to use an european unlocked phone in Canada? (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/76-smartphone-tablet-computing-including-android-blackberry-ios-devices/98826-how-use-european-unlocked-phone-canada.html)

Denis54 2008-12-30 12:43 AM

How to use an european unlocked phone in Canada?

Some family member who presently lives in Italy will travel to Canada soon. He owns an unlocked quad-band GSM cell phone and is just looking for basic phone functionality.

Can he buy a prepaid Rogers SIM card and use it in his phone?

Can he buy a SIM card from any of the other providers like Petro-Canada or 7-11?

I know very little about cell phone and I hope what I just asked makes sense.

bete_noir 2008-12-30 02:56 AM

I have the Nokia 1600 dual band GSM 850/1900 from 7-11. It operates on the Rogers network so you can activate a SIM card from Rogers and stick it in an unlocked phone which operates on those bands. With 7-11 you get the phone along with the SIM card and the phone number...they don't just sell SIM cards.

Hope this helps....

PhotoJim 2008-12-30 02:56 PM

A prepaid Rogers or Fido SIM will work just fine - plug and play.

7-Eleven and Petro-Canada do not sell SIMs, however, You buy a phone and get a free SIM. Of course, you can sell the phone if you don't need it.

barnes08 2009-01-02 10:26 AM

I have a similar question but the situation is flipped around. I am in Canada and going on exchange to Sweden in about a week. If I buy an unlocked gsm quad-band phone, and a SIM card from rogers/fido here, I assume I can buy pre-paid cards in Sweden and it will work.

So my question is how do I get/find out what my local Swedish phone number is? I want to get the phone/sim card here since it will be a bit more expensive to buy one there, but I obviously don't want a Canadian number.

Thanks

Alan Toronto 2009-01-02 10:40 AM

You won't know your Swedish number until you buy a Swedish SIM card.

barnes08 2009-01-02 12:05 PM

Ok, so I should probably wait and get a phone there to ensure the SIM card works with the phone. I suppose I could buy an unlocked phone here and SIM card there but they may not work together. Thanks

GSMfan 2009-01-11 11:51 PM

From what I've heard, prepaid SIM cards in most of the free world is cheaper than what we pay here in Canada. In Asia they are definitely way cheaper. I think Italy is one of the few exceptions.