Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Nokia 5310 XpressMusic mobile phone now in Canada

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  nathan 
#1 ·
Nokia announced today the launch of the Nokia 5310 XpressMusic MP3 phone in Canada.

Originally released in the fourth quarter of 2007, the 5310 is less than a centimeter thick, weighs just 71 grams, and features a built-in video recorder and 2 megapixel camera.

Nokia says the phone has a “dedicated music chip” and can play back up to 20 hours of music. It comes equipped with diamond-cut, dedicated music controls, and chrome volume keys.

The music phone sports a two inch (240 x 320 pixel) screen and includes the following features: Bluetooth 2.0, USB 2.0 high-speed, 30 megabytes of internal memory, Video playback, Nokia Xpress audio messaging to send voice clips over-the-air, support for MP3, MP4, AAC, HE-AAC and WMA file types, up to 5 hours of talk-time and 12.5 days of standby-time.

The Nokia 5310 XpressMusic is now available from Rogers Wireless.

#6 ·
I used this DRM Packager on my Sony Ericsson when it was locked to Rogers.
Google "DRM Packager" it will change your MP3's into DRM files so they can be used on your phone only. I don't think it should be any different for Nokia devices. But i've never tried it.

#7 ·
ive tried nokia devices before.. the drm info can be recognized by the phone usually when downloading it via wap (chargable by your carrier) i tried blue toothing it and it didnt work on one of my old nokias. Also, nokias can still use ASF files as ringtones, lets hope this one does too.

#8 · (Edited)
Unfortunately Rogers in their infinite wisdom has replaced Nokia's decent music player with their own player. This pretty much removs the major selling point of this phone. (it being in Nokia's MusicXpress line) I was less than impressed.

I'm considering returning the phone and just buying an unlocked one from elsewhere.

Edit: My mistake. The Nokia Music player is there, it's just not as easy to get to as the Rogers one. Hmmm...

#9 ·
Strangely enough, this morning, halfway through a file transfer, the phone rebooted, and now won't boot past the Nokia logo. So...not the greatest experience so far. :)

#11 ·
Probably...and if I were younger and more spry I'd probably take the time to figure out how to reflash it (and unlock it). As it stands, it seems far too complicated. :)

That being said, for the 2 hours that the phone was working mostly the way I wanted it to, it was a great music phone...the Rogers player blows, but the built in player was very nice. My previous phone was a k790a, which was great, but since I only really use my phone for music and calls, I wanted something music oriented. For those looking for something with that criteria, I think this is a great phone. Evil crashes notwithstanding. :)

Ah well, Rogers is sending out a replacement. I'll have to see how it goes...I thought about buying an unlocked version, but with this dying a grand total of 12 hours into it's life-with-me, I'm leery about purchasing the phone for 300 with only a 3 month warranty.

#14 ·
I finally received my unlocked Nokia Red 5310 today and I'm loving it so far. My previous phone was the 5300 and I can't believe how slim this phone is compared to that one. I already transferred my music files to the phone for my ringtones. Also I tested the phone and texting and no complains so far.

#16 ·
I used an 8Gb card with it...it showed as having 4gb free on the phone, but from what I've read it does actually see the entire 8Gb...now, the phone crashed on me a few times...and I can't say for sure if that was because of the card or not. I was able to browse everything on the phone without any issues...

Again, I returned it...and will probably go the Rokr route when I do hardware upgrade as the reviews have mostly pointed towards that phone as being (marginally) better...if you can get over the unique interface. We'll see... I'd love to stay with the Sony line as I've been *extremely* happy with my K790a... except for the proprietary EVERYTHING...connector, memory card...outside of that, I love the phone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.