Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/31-home-theatre-personal-computer-htpc-media-extenders/)
-   -   HTPC For Shaw use (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/31-home-theatre-personal-computer-htpc-media-extenders/85547-htpc-shaw-use.html)

Wayne 2008-05-06 11:22 PM

@Clayc-I don't believe there is a cheaper BR drive that writes Blu Ray.

@HTPC - I personally don't think you need a writer in a HTPC - it makes more sense to have them in your other PC(s) in the house but that will make more financial sense when the BR readers drop below $100. I believe I have the same, or very similar, Silverstone case but if I were to do it again I would get an Antec NSK2480.

ClayC 2008-05-07 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by granduncle
Why do you need the BD writer?
Blank BD media is at least twice the price of hard drive storage (per GB)...

More just to have it at this point, and as far as i know it is the only HD/BD combo drive. Bleeding edge for recording media doesnt bother me, i was one of the people who bought a CD-R 2x when they were still 10$/disc. Also it should make for a nice backup option for the PVR side of things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne
@Clayc-I don't believe there is a cheaper BR drive that writes Blu Ray

@HTPC - I personally don't think you need a writer in a HTPC - it makes more sense to have them in your other PC(s) in the house but that will make more financial sense when the BR readers drop below $100. I believe I have the same, or very similar, Silverstone case but if I were to do it again I would get an Antec NSK2480.

The LG GGC-H20 is the older gen, and thus cheaper one of the two. I prefer to have writers in all my machines. For the HTPC I want it more to use as a backup system more than anything. It will also be my only BD writer i will most likely buy for quite some time until the technology and media become cheaper.

Wayne 2008-05-07 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayC (Post 743216)
I prefer to have writers in all my machines. For the HTPC I want it more to use as a backup system more than anything.

That's why I have Windows home server - full backups every night.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayC (Post 743216)
It will also be my only BD writer i will most likely buy for quite some time until the technology and media become cheaper.

So you mean 6 months from now ;-)

granduncle 2008-05-07 10:14 AM

Quote:

So you mean 6 months from now ;-)
If this happens in 6 years, I'll be impressed...

ClayC 2008-05-07 08:37 PM

Yea i dont think there will be much advancement in the BD rewrighting/righting in the next while and even if there is this drive will suite my needs for a time to come.

ClayC 2008-05-08 12:39 PM

One more question, on the Cyberlink website it doesnt mention that v8 plays HD-DVD's did they drop support in this version? If so what program out there now will play them? Might as well figure out the software end of things while I wait on the Gigabyte board (it is back ordered :().

granduncle 2008-05-08 06:34 PM

ClayC 2008-05-08 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by granduncle

Perfect thanks!

ClayC 2008-06-03 01:39 AM

Ok well now that all the parts have come in and the machine is built, I have a few issues lol.

1. Vista x64 has no drivers for the Moto DCT-6200 fix for this way get Vista x86 (that problem is solved, and now the STB is reconized in Device Manager).
2. I can not get VMCE to reconize the firewire connection to the STB as a tuner (it shows as a capture device like a cam corder or similar), so any suggestions here? VLC and CapDVS both can capture through the firewire connection so I got the content no problem (I tried three channels to make sure, and so far so good for HD).

Other than that so far it is going good, I have PowerDVD 7.3 up and running without issue for both my Blu-Ray and HD-DVD playback. The HTPC gets a Vista score of 4.0 and that is because of the onboard video everything else scores 5.9 (and for compairison my Quad Core Intel 3.0 gets 5.9 in everything) so I am impressed with the machine to say the least.

So help and or suggestions from here would be greatly appreciated :)