Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Home Computing (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/51-home-computing/)
-   -   ASUS EEE discussions (all models) (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/51-home-computing/82129-asus-eee-discussions-all-models.html)

newfieblue 2008-01-16 09:27 AM

ASUS EEE discussions (all models)

I own both a laptop and desktop, but I am currently looking for something to travel with and will not get damaged, I walk alot and with books, currently going to school and my laptop would get damaged. I seen this eee pc, made by Asus, and I had a question if anyone has the answer.
1. It comes with software that you can write and use spreadsheets, both would I be able to read, write and switch with my desktop that runs word and excel.

wuvhandles 2008-01-16 12:13 PM

You could transfer the files to your desktop using a usb stick (or e-mail). The EEE pc runs Open office on a linux operating system. With open office you can save files under the .doc name (just like ms office).
Absolutely no problem there.

IF you want to, you can also take word files from your desktop and transfer them to your eee notebook (open office will open word files, and can save them as open office files, or as ms office files).

Even if you accidentally saved a file in the open office format, I think you can just right click and change the extension to .doc, and it would automatically change it to an ms office file.

congo 2008-01-16 08:16 PM

At one point in time, OpenOffice's version of Excel did not run Excel macros. If you use macros in Excel, you may want to check that first.

Or you could wait for this:

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/5264

Congo

Walter Dnes 2008-01-16 08:17 PM

If you don't like the all-in-one approach. you could use separate stand-alone apps. Gnumeric (spreadsheet) and AbiWord (word processor)

newfieblue 2008-01-19 06:47 PM

eee pc question

I wanted to know if I brought a 2gb eee pc, instead of the 4 and then placed a 4gb sd card into it. Would I be able to install xp or other apps on the sd and work it off of the computer?

cybrid 2008-01-20 09:01 PM

I cannot give any details on how it was done but I have seen a eee running xp. It was running the web browser fine.

Walter Dnes 2008-01-20 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfieblue (Post 679974)
I wanted to know if I brought a 2gb eee pc, instead of the 4 and then placed a 4gb sd card into it. Would I be able to install xp or other apps on the sd and work it off of the computer?

Given that chunks of XP, and quite a few apps, MUST install on C:, I doubt that would work. If it did, MS would already have XP functional on the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child).

rfielder 2008-01-21 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuvhandles (Post 677693)
You could transfer the files to your desktop using a usb stick (or e-mail). The EEE pc runs Open office on a linux operating system. With open office you can save files under the .doc name (just like ms office).

I work on three computers, and move my files around on a USB memory stick.

However - soon after I started this, I found that the USB memory stick was not a transport device. It becomes the home for the documents, with all editing done to them on the memory stick.

The contents of the USB memory stick are copied to each computer, but that is for backup purposes - USB memory sticks can fail, and they can get lost.

classicsat 2008-01-21 09:18 AM

Installing XP on 4GB is hard enough (I couldn't install a streamlined SP2 on a 3.2 GB HDD).

Walter Dnes 2008-03-03 08:53 PM

ASUS EEE with 8.9 inch screen at Cebit 2008

No, it's NOT a rumour. The official press conference is Tuesday March 4, but it's actually being shown at The Cebit 2008 show. Engadget has a couple of stories and lots of photos at http://www.engadget.com/tag/Cebit2008/ Boy, am I glad I delayed buying the 7-incher.

bgclarke 2008-03-04 12:54 AM

These EEEs are interesting and something I may be in the market for.

I want something bigger than a Palm device but I don't need a full fledged laptop. These seem to fit the bill.

Danster 2008-03-04 08:10 AM

That might replace MyPal 710 pocket pc.

BGY11 2008-03-09 11:30 PM

More information:

The 8.9" units will start at $499 with an 8GB SSD model running Windows XP. There will also be either a 12GB or a 20GB model with Xandros Linux (apparently they're still looking into that one). For now they will use the same Intel Celeron M 900MHz CPU, but in the next few months they'll adopt Intel's new "Atom" processor. This new chip will enable much longer battery life (ASUS is hoping for up to 8 hours).

HERE is a good interview over at LAPTOP magazine about what ASUS is looking into with the EeePC line.

stampeder 2008-03-10 12:50 AM

It is perfect as is, so no need for another OS!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGY11
The 8.9" units will start at $499 with an 8GB SSD model running Windows XP.

The whole point of these cheap, dependable ASUS EEE laptop computers is to have fast, secure, cheap Internet access with no bugs, viruses, adware, spyware, or other such crap.

Why anyone would buy one with XP or put XP on one is a complete and utter mystery to me when all the Linux apps on it work perfectly, are very user-friendly requiring no knowledge of any computer OSes, cost you nothing extra, don't require anti-virus or security software, and are infinitely safer for Internet use.

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/product.htm

If you feel that there are certain Windows programs you need to run on one of these laptops, you're missing the whole point and should go buy a full featured laptop running Vista.

Camvan 2008-03-10 01:54 AM

Wow - I would never buy one with Windows XP on it. I totally agree Stampeder.

I am actually going to buy a Linux one for my 65 year old dad - he just needs an easy way to check stocks, plan fishing, trekking and hunting trips, answer email and manage his pictures (he is an accomplished film photographer and outdoor enthusiast)....

He does not need to mess around with Windows and the relentless stream of critical updates.