Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Sasktel (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/68-sasktel/)
-   -   Sasktel Max & Tivo (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/68-sasktel/75732-sasktel-max-tivo.html)

saskgal 2007-12-09 02:09 PM

Sasktel Max & Tivo

Does anyone know if I can use Tivo with Sasktel Max?

cprich2007 2007-12-09 05:10 PM

Tivo with Sasktel Max?

Hi

I dunno if you can, you can contact Sask tel tomorrow and see if you can. Don't see the need cause you have to pay for tivo and Sask tel Max separately. It be much simpler if you go to Sask tel max (SD) or (HD) DTVR service. :p

Hope it helps you.

westernarticfan 2007-12-09 07:38 PM

This has been talked about many many times.Tivo has features canadian pvrs do not have.However if you want hd there is very little point.As we do not have cable card here as of yet.

SensualPoet 2007-12-10 12:08 AM

Yes, TiVo in Canada is a dual tuner analog device. It cannot record HD. It cannot record digital channels directly; you need to control your existing digital box with an IR blaster. Hence, on SaskTel Max service, this "dual tuner" becomes a single tuner. I'd stick to whatever SaskTel is providing in the way of a PVR. TiVo's search software is widely regarded but it seems like a huge hassle trying to use it in Canada.

FWIW, TiVo's HD PVRs don't work with the 25 million US satellite consumers either -- again, because it relies on cable card technology which neither US satellite company supports.

TiVo has some very big challenges staying in business, IMO.

saskgal 2007-12-10 08:40 AM

Thanks so much for your reply. I had called Sasktel Max support to ask if the equipment supplied by them supported Tivo and he said "what is Tivo", then he got off the line and asked someone else who said they didn't support it at this time. So that is the help I got there.

I had researched and found out about the IR Blaster and thought that might be the key, but thanks to you I realize it would be a big hassle. I have a little history trying to get the box to work with other equipment. I had media center running on my laptop when we had analog cable but our signal was so bad we switched to Max. When we switched, I lost my media center capability (but my husband likes his Max) end of story.

Tivo software sounds wonderful! I was hoping to buy my daughter a tivo and subscription for Christmas. She has the same Sasktel Max setup as we do and she is the TV nut. It doesn't cost that much more per month for the Tivo service which sounds superior in my opinion.

What exactly is the hassle of tivo if you use an IR Blaster? The fact you can only record one show at a time? Can you watch one show and record another? At this time I am not concerned about HD.

classicsat 2007-12-10 09:48 AM

As long as the box has a composite or S-video A/V out and IR control with a purely numerical channel changing, TiVo can, in theory, work.

All that matter is having the correct lineup and IR code.

SensualPoet 2007-12-10 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskgal (Post 652049)
What exactly is the hassle of tivo if you use an IR Blaster? The fact you can only record one show at a time? Can you watch one show and record another? At this time I am not concerned about HD.

On the install guide -- a nice video on the TiVo website -- they recommend you use a piece of electrical tape to hold the IR blaster in place on top of your digital box. If it gets moved, it won't work.

Your SaskTel Max digital box can output one channel at a time -- the thing you are watching. With TiVo attached, that's also what you are recording. You can watch something already recorded, of course, while a new recording is being made.

I understood SaskTel was using the Motorola 1200 series digtial boxes and the PVR in the series (1216?) included a 160 GB drive capable of recording SD or HD channels. The box itself can reocrd up to 4 streams at once, if I read the spec sheet correctly.

How bad is the on-screen program guide that SaskTel delivers "for free"? (You might also check with TiVo directly to ensure they support SaskTel channel line-ups.)

I haven't seen the SaskTel system live so I may be making assumptions that apply to this hardware elsewhere.

westernarticfan 2007-12-10 01:29 PM

Tivo will be fine.What ever they sell in canada is just a plus it will not effect them really that much.However its canadian pvrs that are going to have very larges hurdles to climb.

classicsat 2007-12-10 05:23 PM

There is no more hassle actually using the particular hadware sold (the 80 HrSeries 2 DT),or TiVo service in Canada than there is for an American in a similar situation, providerwise.

Tikker 2007-12-11 03:42 AM

Why did you lose your media center capability when you switched to max?

there's quite a few of us that built HTPC to use with max a while ago when we got tired of waiting for the Max DVR's

it works exactly the same as with cable, except you need to use IR blasters to change channels for you, rather than just be able to tune in the analog cable

saskgal 2007-12-12 10:37 AM

I couldn't figure out how to hook up my media center to the box and it seemed much easier to just download shows I missed using bit torrent. I had never heard of an IR Blaster until I decided to buy my daughter a tivo for Christmas and was doing research on Tivo. I am a bit challenged, I am a 55 year old woman with a slow learning curve, so be nice. :-)

Where can I buy an IR Blaster? My local circuit city guy didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for one, and he had never heard of Tivo either. A search at futureshop comes up empty too.

I emailed a website that specializes in pvrs in Canada and he couldn't guarantee that the Pace box would work either. I think I will give up, at least for a Christmas gift, which is too bad, the tivo software sounds so easy to use. The fellow at our local electronics store is thinking of bringing in a few Tivos, he just doesn't know how much of a demand there will be, so maybe I will wait for the market to settle a bit.

Thanks so much for all your replies. This is a very nice forum, a great resource. Lots to learn here.

Tikker 2007-12-12 12:39 PM

what do you have for a media center?

if you mean specifically XP MCE, then all you do is plug the IR Blaster into the IR receiver you already have, and point it at the pace stb

when you do the TV setup again, it'll ask you if you have a STB, say yes

it'll then get you to press a few keys on the MAX remote so that it can figure out which IR codes it needs to talk to the pace box

once this is done, your box will be able to change channels on the STB, and record stuff at will

the setup for tivo would likely be very very similar

(i'm running 2 different HTPCs, and 4 pace boxes myself)

SensualPoet 2007-12-12 01:41 PM

The IR Blaster is included in the TiVo box. The TiVo model sold in Canada only works with Analog Cable (not satellite, not digital cable, not IPTV, not even over-the-air) as is. That's why you need the IR Blaster (and why it's included) -- to control an external TV source which then will deliver an analog feed on channel 3 or 4 to the TiVo for recording. Only one of the two tuners in the TiVo has IR Blaster capability; hence you can only hook up one external TV source that isn't analog cable.

I can't think of any reason it would not work with a Pace box since the IR Blaster is just a wire with a little LED on the end and changes channels on your external TV box exactly the way your remote control does.

cliff8 2007-12-12 02:17 PM

Tivo Works with Max

tivo works with both max set top boxes (pace and motorola)...i've had it working for several months

saskgal 2007-12-12 03:25 PM

Thank you all so much!! You answered all my questions and more. I really appreciate everyone who posted.

I am going to print this thread and if I have any more questions I know where to come.