Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Speaker placement in not optimal room.

18K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Krizznal 
#1 ·
I'm well on my way to building a home theater from scratch. It's based around a Dolby Digital en/decoder, and I'll be building the power amps, speakers, and remote control interface myself. My biggest problem is the room it will be in. I live in a town house, with my mom, so I can't move any of the furniture :|. The room fits none of the example layouts that Dolby provides, so I'd like some suggestions on where to put the speakers.

Here is a floor plan to scale. One square is equal to 6".

Where would you suggest I put them?

See less See more
#2 ·
If you can not move anything you are going to have a really hard time or it to get a good 5.1 location setup, nevermind 7.1.

If you could put the TV on the far wall then you would be OK for 5.1 other than that best of luck.

Later
Phil

#3 ·
With the TV in the corner, the placement of speakers is always really poor.

LF just to the left of the TV, Center on or under the TV, RF just to the right of the TV. LR, perhaps under the left-most end-table and RR under the right most end-table. This is not great for the people in the left couch, however, with the rear speakers on the floor, they will generate a "diffuse" sound which should be OK until you can get a proper setup.

You can sit on the right couch. ;)

I'm assuming that in-wall or in-ceiling speakers are out of the question.

#6 · (Edited)
we too had our living room like that.corner TV(for a few months)

but we ended up changing the whole layout to accommodate the sound.

much better now. And as good as it looked when the tv was in the corner, surround sound would NEVER sound the same.

it will be well worth it to move the tv to the center of the top wall.

in your case, JUST switch the TV with the HIFI. LEAVE everything else the same. at least the back sofa will have good sound.

#9 ·
My suggestion is to place the tv where you have the hifi set also this will allow you to place the speakers for better sound.

This way you can place the left and right speaker beside the tv with center below or above.

Hopefully the front speakers are shielded. Having the front speakers close by the tv is good for the sound as you get direct off screen effects to the left and right. The surround speakers will give you the spartial effects.

Place the rear speakers along the back wall.

This should give the best sound. If you dont relocated the tv I would not bother with surround sound as it wont sound right and the sound will be all over the place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.