Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/76-smartphone-tablet-computing-including-android-blackberry-ios-devices/)
-   -   Deleting messages off my smartphone and off server too (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/76-smartphone-tablet-computing-including-android-blackberry-ios-devices/66361-deleting-messages-off-my-smartphone-off-server-too.html)

Planetary 2007-07-06 12:42 PM

Deleting messages off my smartphone and off server too

I just got a smartphone for the first time this week so please excuse the newbie type question...

I use IMAP for my email at work and home. I have IMAP4 set it up on my HTC P4000 and it works well but I'd like to know how to delete messages off my server from the phone.

When I delete an email on my device, even if I hit send and receive again to update things, it doesn't delete it off my server. It seems to keep a record of what I have deleted and doesn't pull that file from the server again (which is great) but how do I actually take it off the server so that when I go back to my home or office computer, I don't have to redelete all those files again?

The empty deleted folder command, which I thought would be like purge deleted mail in Outlook, just gets rid of the list of deleted emails and the device downloads them all again off the server. I can see the usefulness of that feature but there must be some way to delete things off the server from the phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

jacksparrow 2007-07-06 03:56 PM

You never did mention the brand of phone you have? I believe there is a setting on most servers and devices, to either delete from both server and device, or just delete from device and keep a copy on the server

Planetary 2007-07-06 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksparrow (Post 569203)
You never did mention the brand of phone you have? I believe there is a setting on most servers and devices, to either delete from both server and device, or just delete from device and keep a copy on the server

The HTC P4000 I mentioned above is my brand of phone. It is on the Telus network, if that is what you mean.

I assume it must be a device related issue since I don't have this issue come up when I use my home computer, laptops or work computer.

cavu 2008-07-20 08:48 PM

From the message inbox screen do:
  • MENU
  • TOOLS
  • OPTIONS
  • Select your account
  • Select "Edit Account Setup"
  • NEXT(1)
  • NEXT(2)
  • NEXT(3)
  • NEXT(4)
  • NEXT(5)