Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   What's On Television? (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-whats-television/)
-   -   The Movie Network Launches MMore HD - Rogers Only for now (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-whats-television/57701-movie-network-launches-mmore-hd-rogers-only-now.html)

BayStBoi 2007-01-29 02:56 PM

The Movie Network Launches MMore HD - Rogers Only for now

Astral Media's The Movie Network today announced that MMore HD will launch on February 1, 2007. MMore HD is a 24-hour dedicated high-definition channel featuring select simulcasts of HD programming from The Movie Network's multiplex channels MMore, MExcess, MFun! and MFest.

MMore HD joins The Movie Network as its third dedicated 24-hour HD channel, following The Movie Network HD and Mpix HD. The Movie Network HD launched in May 2005 and simulcasts all programming from The Movie Network's main channel; while Mpix HD, introduced in January 2006, consists of classic movies five years or older in HD.

Rogers Cable will launch MMore HD on February 1 in Ontario and will be available on channel 536 with plans to roll out to other areas of eastern Canada in the coming months.

hugh 2007-01-29 03:57 PM

I'll post the schedule shortly for February

Boavista 2007-01-29 09:58 PM

Good Job!

Good job to rogers! Their really doing good with their HD content now. As the new HD channels get started, rogers wastes no time in picking them up. Im starting to regret going with bev for HD. Rogers has quite a few more HD channels then Bev now. I wonder what resolution the new MHD channel is going to be shown in? More then likely 720P. If were lucky.. 1080i!
None the less this is good news.

Cyclism 2007-01-29 10:03 PM

TMN-HD and MPix-HD are both broadcast in 1080i by Rogers, so there is no reason to believe why this new MMoreHD channel will not also be 1080i.

scrooloose 2007-01-29 11:22 PM

Looking at the schedule, most of those movies and shows have already played on TMN-HD. I was really hoping to see some different content! Oh well.

-Mike

hugh 2007-01-30 08:40 AM

scrooloose, I too was a bit disappointed, however, the good news is that TMN feels there is a business opportunity for more HD.

Now just pray that Global doesn't buy them!

SensualPoet 2007-01-30 02:11 PM

With three full-time HD movie channels in the TMN Package, I feel I am finally getting good value. On paper, TMN -- with 5 TMN, 2 Mpix, 4 superstations and 2 On Demand channels -- looks like a bargain. And, of course, it is: 9 commercial free movie channels and 4 US superstations.

The problem is they are all in SD. With three MORE channels (same content, but now in HD), I have something to watch again.

I don't think it's only me: if I have a choice (or think it's coming), I'm not going to watch an SD 4:3 or SD letterboxed and zoomed to fill the screen movie if the HD one is available. Why bother? So now having 3 HD channels from TMN gives me stuff to watch again.

Bravo, TMN!

macemuscle 2007-01-30 02:32 PM

It's hard to say from the list whether this promotes:

a) an increase of the total movie content available in all Movie Network channels (SD and HD) - this would be ideal;

b) same total content but more HD content - this is still good as not all "good" TMN movies are available in HD and I hate watching a good movie in SD; or

c) exact same total and HD content except one extra channel - basically all we're getting is more timeshifting which is useless if you have a PVR.

Having more channels is nice, but what we really want is more content... perhaps in the long term more channel will mean more content :confused:

57 2007-01-30 02:43 PM

When M-HD first came out, I also thought "what a waste of bandwidth" since they were showing very few movies, most of them ones I'd seen before.

Even though I don't record from that channel a lot, I do occasionally see a movie that I haven't seen in a while, etc. Also, a lot of the content is OAR, with DD5.1 when possible - a surprise on some of the older stuff. The PQ has also been very good.

So, give it a while and I'm sure the content will come, although if you've been with TMN-HD for 5 years like I have, there's probably not much you haven't already seen.

hugh 2007-01-30 03:16 PM

My two cents....

Blu-ray Player $ 999
Availability about 50 movies at $30 to $50 a pop.

HD DVD Player $549
Availability about 50 or 100 movies at $30 to $50 a pop.

TMN has 134 HD movies or specials this month plus a lot more on MPIX HD for $15 or $20 per month. One month of TMN is less than the price of one Blu-ray or HD DVD movie.

If there was 2 or 3,000 titles in HD DVD and Blu-ray then I might complain thatTMN HD is lacking but in a single month they show more HD movies than is available on Blu-ray and HD DVD combined!

In my mind, TMN represents great value in HD programming.

macemuscle 2007-01-31 06:24 PM

I agree with your points Hugh and 57

Personally, I have now both HD-DVD (the 360 add-on) and Blu-ray players (the PS3). I own only 1 HD-DVD movie, King Kong and only because it came with player. I have yet to find a single HD-DVD or Blu-ray movie that I'd want to buy.

This is partly because the content is not there yet and partly because I'm recording movies I like from TMN HD (and occasionally other HD channels) which is replacing the need to buy the movies (if they are available).

Yes it is a great value, but my point is that I hope that more channels mean more of a good thing

rimgrund 2007-02-01 02:35 PM

I just suscribed to TMN on Rogers last month and I couldn't be more happy. What I like is that TMN is broadcasting movies in HD that aren't even available on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray yet, most notably ones from 2 or 3 years ago.

For instance, I saw Shark Tale the other night and it was incredible. Since it's an older movie (i.e. 2004), to my knowledge, it's not out yet on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. For newer movies, I just wait a month and PPV it!

I do have to say, HD-TMN has made it almost impossible for me to rent a DVD any more. With that being said, the need isn't there since I can easily find 10 HD titles a week between the major networks and TMN that I haven't seen before.

In terms of this new HD channel, it allows me the opportunity to PVR the same movie but at a better time. Just this morning, I PVR'd a movie that TMN wasn't showing until later in the week at 9:00 PM when I would have been unable to PVR it (hockey game and regular series show!).

hugh 2007-02-01 02:48 PM

Quote:

Yes it is a great value, but my point is that I hope that more channels mean more of a good thing
me too!