Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Home Theatre Corner (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/203-home-theatre-corner/)
-   -   Power Bar (UPS, Surge, Etc) Info and Discussion (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/203-home-theatre-corner/56058-power-bar-ups-surge-etc-info-discussion.html)

dudler 2007-06-02 09:49 PM

hugh...why panamax?

hugh...was at a store and the salesman was really big on panamax. our area has real power issues (outages, surges, etc).

anyway, finding out more on panamax is not that easy. why do you like their surge stuff so much>?

cheers

the dude

hugh 2007-06-03 09:46 AM

First let me say that after spending several hours talking to engineers a few years ago about these products, I am convinced of their benefits if you have expensive A/V components. I have my 1080p projector, PS3, receiver, mono amp, dvd player, hd pvr, LAN cable, coax cable and slingbox plugged into it.

BTW: I'm talking the rugged power conditioners not the bars.

I think there are several brands that are good quality including panamax. I choose Panamax because I felt it was a good quality product, I liked the look and I got a good price.

Panamax has been around for years and has a good history. Product is well built and looks good in you A/V unit.

I have the M5100-ex.

Two bits of advice: Don't buy more than you need, you're wasting your money and there is no reason why you can't negotiate a good discount on one since retailers have a good margin on them.

The one that I have retails for about $499 and I paid significantly less.

I do not recommend buying a bigger

Carlsdad 2007-06-11 03:36 PM

One aspect of surge suppression that is often overlooked is the power receptacle energizing the surge suppressor. Conditions can exist that trick the unit into giving you the impression it is protecting, when it is not.
This article on grounding explains best.

AGGIESTWICE 2007-06-13 11:31 AM

Will Tripplite TLP808TELTV do the job for me?

I have a Sharp 37" LCD with a AVR, VCR, Bell Sat, and DVD. Will this Tripplite TLP808TELTV be a suitable to protect my setup? In the specs it says it has noise filtering, will I see any difference with pic quality with this versus direct wall plug in?

Thanks, Mark

Luis_A51 2007-06-13 12:18 PM

Hugh...do you see/hear any improved picture or sound quality? Or is it simply for protection? I live in Calgary, and as of yet have not had any issues with the local power. I do have an APC PH8VT3 for my equipment, and was wondering if I was due for an upgrade.

57...can you comment on this as well? Id really like to know, as I not only want my equipment to be protected, but I want the best pq/sq i can get with my equipment.

57 2007-06-13 04:33 PM

My comment is that if the power coming into your home is good quality, then such a device should not be necessary. The power supplies in equipment should be able to handle the minor variations in power and any "noise" in the line.

People with high end equipment seem to use these devices. I use a relatively inexpensive UPS. One person's opinion.

roger1818 2007-06-13 04:55 PM

I have the same opinion as 57. Most AV devices need smooth clean DC power from the power supply and if you think about it, the 60Hz AC power would be considered noise (especially for audio) and the devices seem to handle it pretty well on their own.

dts 2007-06-13 05:59 PM

Do you ever think you have CLEAN and GOOD power coming into your house? and how can you tell? Do you only use your equipment only WHEN your power is CLEAN and GOOD???

I really recommend the line conditioners from PS Audio, an audiophile company that specialize in power products for the last 10 years. It starts at only US$295 and will trash the Monster stuff and other companies gear for the computer market.

Their web site is www.psaudio.com

kingpin111 2007-06-14 01:01 AM

I am extremely happy I had my Tripp Lite UPS last night.
It saved my HP DLP twice last night in a span of 1/2 hour.

Mike

roger1818 2007-06-14 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dts
Do you ever think you have CLEAN and GOOD power coming into your house? and how can you tell? Do you only use your equipment only WHEN your power is CLEAN and GOOD???

I don't expect my power is "CLEAN and GOOD." My point is that the power would have to be extremely dirty for you to be able to see or hear the difference. The makers of power filters do a good job of fooling people into thinking their equipment is fragile and needs crystal clean power. The reality is good pieces of equipment have good power supplies that filter out all this noise and external power filtering is not necessary.

Brownouts, blackouts and power surges are another story and protection from them is a good idea.

dts 2007-06-14 01:15 PM

I don't know how GOOD a equipment need to be so that the internal power supply will filter out ALL the noise on the line.

My $20000 ATC powered speakers benefit a LOT with the use of the PS Audio Duet line conditioner, without any lost of dynamic and bass punch. All the brightness is gone.

That US$300 is money well spent, not only with greatly improved audio, but they claimed to be the best surge AND spike protection available.

audi231 2007-09-04 02:48 PM

thoughts on whole-home surge surpression and ups vs. stand alone?

was looking at a panamax 5300 but wondering if i should do a whole-home protector to also protect all the other electronics in my home instead of just the home theater. Would adding a UPS at the home theater ontop of the whole home supression be worthwhile? thx

lapopal 2007-09-04 04:29 PM

Having a surge protector at your source electrical panel is not a bad idea, I believe you could have one installed for less than 500.

my0gr81 2007-09-05 01:10 PM

Quote:

I don't know how GOOD a equipment need to be so that the internal power supply will filter out ALL the noise on the line.
The internal power supply in most CE equipment acts as a big filter between the power line AC (Alternating Current) and the DC (Direct Current) needs. Any filtering should really be done at the DC side so as to ensure that no 60Hz gets through as noise. Filtering at the AC side is really a marketting gimmick. Protecting from surges and brown outs on the other hand is a smart investment.

mwhouser 2007-10-05 06:12 PM

Would you recommend getting a single combo UPS + Surge protector for a home theatre, or get one and one and put them in series?

Thanks
...Matt