Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Home Theatre Corner (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/203-home-theatre-corner/)
-   -   Power Bar (UPS, Surge, Etc) Info and Discussion (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/203-home-theatre-corner/56058-power-bar-ups-surge-etc-info-discussion.html)

Alan Toronto 2009-03-05 03:10 PM

1. It's important to have a good, certified surge protector.
2. What you bought is not certified, which is worrisome. OTOH, it is APC which is a good brand so it may be fine for surge protection.
3. Power "cleaners" and regulators are unnecessary for most situations, unless you have particularly poor power such as a rural area with lots of blackouts/brownouts. AV equipment is made to tolerate variations in line voltage, since they are common.
4. Manufacturers of surge protectors, such as APC, specifically advise against plugging a surge protector into another surge protector, and there warranties don't apply in such contraindicated setups.

EagleEye 2009-03-05 10:02 PM

I have returned the Line-R and bought an APC P11VNT3 surge protector for my AV system. Thanks for your straight forward reply Alan.

Alan Toronto 2009-03-05 11:29 PM

You're quite welcome. I use an APC surge protector for my system. No power conditioner, no voltage regulator, just a good quality surge protector.

cyberphil 2010-01-20 05:35 PM

Is it really necessary ???

Hi everybody,

i'm just wandering if i should really buy a power bar for my Tv or should i just plug it in directly in the wall...

I mean i won't buy a power bar for my refrigerator or anything except computer and my Tv...

Does anyone ever save is equipement with is power bar from a power surge ?

How often does a power surge happen ??? Why protect just the TV and the computer ? What about the other electric thing that i got in the house ???

As you see i'm a little bit confused... :confused:

classicsat 2010-01-22 01:31 PM

You probably want to protect your investment with a surge protector.
It does not need to be a power strip type, and power strips sometimes do not have surge protection.

You would use a power strip in any case, to power a number of pieces of equipment (TV A/V receiver, cable box, DVD, game console) , and a UPS for anything with an HDD.

I have bascially two power strips in my A/V system, one a UPS for the DVR, TV, and satellite receivers, the other for the A/V receiver (which the DVD and network media player power are connected), video switcher, set-back lamps, and FTA receiver.

Similar at my computer, the UPS does the system (CPU, backup drive, primary monitor, cordless phone base), the othe rpower strip does the lamp, speakers, printer, and dood-ads on the desk.

ronsonk 2010-02-22 12:13 AM

I'm new to the forum, only having just purchased my first HDTV, and am trying to figure out whether or not I need line conditioning / UPS for my tv. To date I've been mainly a computer geek, having built my own since the late 80's, and work in the IT field, so do I have experience with power issues there.

I'm assuming that today's televisions have a cellboard/motherboard or other electronics that are affected by dirty power/brownouts/blackouts (no question here as to surges). My question is to what extent? Can brownouts/blackouts cause component failures/progressive errors like what I have seen with computer equipment?

To leap into the fray around brands, I have had no complaints with my APC BackUPS 800 - mind you I only have my experience running my homebuilt computer running through it. It's surprising how many times (usually 3-5 times per month in the summer) it kicks in due to a voltage drop from Toronto Hydro.

And APC support (and their software) is excellent (to agree with a previous poster).

custom AV rack 2010-07-13 12:09 PM

You should grab a Tripplite Isobar. You can find them all over online and it will be a much better deal that the local BB stocked Monster strip.

custom AV rack 2010-07-13 12:11 PM

"2. What you bought is not certified, which is worrisome. OTOH, it is APC which is a good brand so it may be fine for surge protection"

Actually, APC isn't really a quality brand anymore. They've become the Walmart of power distribution/protection. They live off of their brand power and sell cheap junk.

peano 2010-11-21 10:46 AM

Looking to replace my cheap UPS with a power conditioner. I don't really need battery backup. I will have a Pio plasma, Onkyo AVR and various satellite receivers connected.

Would this be a good choice?

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=178339

Or should I go with Panamax?

oskinapew 2011-05-12 01:43 AM

power bar dilemma

I recently purchased a Motorola HDPVR and had difficulty getting the setup correct. 4 calls to tech support and I took the PVR for trade for new model. The techie stated I MUST NOT use a power bar. Thjs seems like bunk to me but I am not tech savvy enough to refute. The power bar is a Blackout HDP 660 and I don't have enough available plugs to accommodate without a power bar.

57 2011-05-12 02:27 AM

Inexpensive power bars - say $10 or less can sometimes cause issues with equpment. That's why any CSR will always ask you to remove the equipment from the bar in case the bar is the problem.

Your Mon$ter bar will not likely cause any harm, other than draining your pocket book, as discussed earlier in this and other threads on Mon$ter products.

What we do recommend for PVRs is a UPS, so that you don't have a head crash or other problem when you have a power failure:

See Motorola FAQ - post 13: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21274

Then check out the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

westcoastinc 2011-07-14 12:58 AM

I have a APC i bought for around $40 4 years ago. One one side the plug ins all say always on on the other side they dont. I dont use the ones thats say always on should I be using those instead? I never turn the power bar off just the equipment from there remote controls.

57 2011-07-14 01:07 AM

What's the exact model number of the APC? If it's a UPS, they usually say "surge only" and "battery". The outlets that have battery backup should be used for a device that you wish to stay on in the event of a power failure - like a PVR and a HDD or similar.

The "surge only" ones should be used for large draw devices like your TV (and any other devices). If you plugged a TV into the battery side, then the UPS would either shut down right away, or not last very long on battery power. Same goes for an AVR.

If it's a power bar with no UPS, then I guess that the "always on" outlets would stay on even if you turn the switch on the bar to "off".

Why exactly did you purchase this device?

westcoastinc 2011-07-14 05:59 AM

I bought this device cause I needed a powerbar for the tv,pvr and blu ray they wouldnt all fit into the wall.

APC PF11VNT3 10 ft. 11 Outlets 3400 joules Power Surge Protector w/ Phone line, Coax & Ethernet Protection

I understand what always on means now that was simple! lol Shoulda been able to figure that out.

I now have a another tv area with a new led 3d tv, hd receiver and blu ray I will most likely buy......

APC 11 Outlet Surge Protector (P11VNT3-CN)
The APC Performance SurgeArrest provides guaranteed protection from damaging power surges and spikes. As one of the world's largest and most respected power protection designers and manufacturers, APC is relied upon daily for power protection and availability by millions of customers around the world. The SurgeArrest Performance family offers the maximum level of protection, safety, convenience and reliability.

looks like a little newer version of what i have, am I being cheap is it worth to spend a little more?

I see The Source (formerly Radio Shack) has stopped carrying apc for Fusion and Monster. FS carries apc but not surge protectors and visions isnt carrying this brand either only BB.

classicsat 2011-07-14 10:29 AM

That model is not a UPS. What it is is the switch turns off some outlets, leaving others on.