Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   What's On Television? (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-whats-television/)
-   -   Official A&E HD Programming and PQ Discussion Thread (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-whats-television/47501-official-e-hd-programming-pq-discussion-thread.html)

hugh 2006-09-01 09:56 AM

Official A&E HD Programming and PQ Discussion Thread

This thread is to discuss programming and Picture quality on A&E HD now that several providers in Canada have it on air.

It's on 533 on Rogers, not sure about Shaw and any other providers

guido 2006-09-01 10:39 AM

this is out of the blue for me, did we know this channel was coming?

Liverpud 2006-09-01 10:52 AM

Picture quality not the best, but not bad at 720p. It says free preview, so I iamgine for a year then it becomes part of HD pack.Not too worried because I have the HD pack. Hope this is true, because I dont want another fee increase.

thegman 2006-09-01 11:26 AM

Would like to comment, but here in Rogers land its just giving a blank grey signal, but it shows up in the IPG. <shrug>

scampbell 2006-09-01 11:31 AM

Does A&E HD appear to have the same schedule as A&E SD?

tipdrill407 2006-09-01 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverpud (Post 417744)
Picture quality not the best, but not bad at 720p. It says free preview, so I iamgine for a year then it becomes part of HD pack.Not too worried because I have the HD pack. Hope this is true, because I dont want another fee increase.

Is the free preview available only to those who pay for the HD premium pack (or w.e it's called)?? I only have the basic HD channels (CTV, ABC, CBS...) and it says i'm not authorized to view A&E HD.:(

SensualPoet 2006-09-01 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegman (Post 417772)
Would like to comment, but here in Rogers land its just giving a blank grey signal, but it shows up in the IPG. <shrug>

It's been live in this part of Rogers land since the wee hours of this morning. The channel "officially" launches in the US on Monday.

NotEnuffHD 2006-09-01 12:30 PM

I see they are stretching SD, not a good thing. Also the station bug or whatever you call it, is HUGE!

redridernl 2006-09-01 06:59 PM

A&E in hd

A&E hd is supposed to be available in canada on Rogers channel 533. Anyone in NL have it yet?

VuMax 2006-09-01 07:02 PM

Yeah, no kidding. On my 50" screen the bug is 9" wide. And considering a 50" TV is about 43" wide, that's a hell of a lot of bug - between a fifth and a quarter of the way across the screen.

Chezz12 2006-09-01 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scampbell (Post 417777)
Does A&E HD appear to have the same schedule as A&E SD?

In checking the guide tonight on BEV it does appear to be the same schedule on HD as SD.

If you're noticing stretching then the program is probably falling into the 35% of the programming that is NOT HD yet.

Taken from the article on the main page of digitalhome.ca :

"When the station was first announced officials from A&E said that 65% of A&E's primetime schedule would be available in “true” HD, including new original shows like King of Cars, as well as fresh episodes of returning series Cold Case Files, The First 48, Driving Force, Inked, Dallas SWAT and in 2007, The Sopranos."

vmark 2006-09-01 08:29 PM

Anyone else getting audio dropout problems on this?

Sweet 2006-09-01 08:33 PM

If you look on rogers.com http://www.shoprogers.com/store/cabl...l_lineups1.asp

In NL, A&E HD is not listed so you shouldn't be receiving it :o , neither should anyone else in NL :)

akennedy 2006-09-01 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chezz12 (Post 418044)

If you're noticing stretching then the program is probably falling into the 35% of the programming that is NOT HD yet.

They are even stretching commercials which I doubt the advertisers appreciate. I understand there will be 4:3 content, but leave it at 4:3.

And yeah... I think we have a clear winner as the largest bug EVER.

redridernl 2006-09-01 10:36 PM

I knew this thread was here, but my question specifically pertained to this channels availability in Newfoundland and therefore I believe it belongs in Rogers Atlantic Canada, where it was originally posted. I also did not want it to get lost in a larger thread dealing with, as stated in the threads title programming and pq. Mods, am I missing something here? :confused: