Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   What's On Television? (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-whats-television/)
-   -   Dexter - Spoiler discussions after each episode airs, beware. (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-whats-television/47287-dexter-spoiler-discussions-after-each-episode-airs-beware.html)

hugh 2006-08-29 11:47 AM

Dexter - Spoiler discussions after each episode airs, beware.

The series follows Dexter Morgan, an incredibly likeable forensics expert for the Miami Metro Police Department, who moonlights as a serial killer with a penchant for inflicting his own unusual brand of justice – he kills people who truly deserve it.

The 12 part series is based on the novel "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" by Jeff Lindsay, a South Florida native. Orphaned at the age of four and harboring a traumatic secret, Dexter is adopted by a police officer who recognizes Dexter's homicidal tendencies and guides his son to channel his gruesome passion for human vivisection in a constructive way - by killing those heinous perpetrators that are above the law or who have slipped through the cracks of justice.

Dexter debuts in High defintion (HD) on Monday, October 2 at 9 p.m. ET on The Movie Network and Sunday, October 1 at 8 p.m. PT on Movie Central.

Alan Bealby 2006-08-29 04:16 PM

I've read two of the books in the Dexter series and can't see how they could make a TV series based on them. Well, when I think a bit more about some of the stuff on TV, I suppose it will not be that far out at all.

uberchuckie 2006-08-29 05:10 PM

This sounds like an interesting show. Thanks.

hugh 2006-08-29 05:36 PM

I have a feeling, I'm either going to really love or really hate this show.

Nuje 2006-08-29 11:55 PM

Is this an HBO series? Or who produces this?

Gord Lacey 2006-08-30 12:21 AM

It's a Showtime series. I'm sure there's some great information on Sho.com, but those *******s purposely block non-US residents from accessing their website.

Gord

skypilot 2006-08-30 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord Lacey (Post 416427)
It's a Showtime series.

Which means it will last for one, maybe two seasons?! Showtime is brutal for cancelling great shows. The premise for Dexter looks great; if it lives up to its intrigue, let's hope it doesn't get the early cancellation boot.

Alan Bealby 2006-08-30 06:06 PM

I didn't mention my reaction to the two books I read. I thought the first one was gross but had enough stuff that I thought was funny to have made it an enjoyable read. I found the second book just gross without very much stuff that I found to be funny. I have not been looking for anymore books of this series to read.

I may watch an episode or two to see if the TV series is better but think it is going to be very difficult to pull off what I found the books couldn't.

hugh 2006-09-27 04:10 PM

I'm bumping this since it starts next Monday

uberchuckie 2006-10-02 11:35 PM

I just watched the pilot tonight. It was pretty intriguing. I look forward to the future episodes.

atari8472 2006-10-02 11:50 PM

same here. I'm hooked :-)

MikeDRiley 2006-10-03 02:32 AM

Dexter a killer show

The debut episode of ShowTime's Dexter was fantastic. Michael C. Hall, who recently co-starred on Six Feet Under, is almost unrecognizable compared to the prissy "good brother" on that show, in his new role as likeable serial killer.

The concept strikes me as truly unique to TV, and the characterizations are full and entertaining. While a little gruesome to some, perhaps, I found it to be totally entertaining. Hooray: another good reason to watch Monday night TV.

otown47 2006-10-03 08:47 AM

To like this show you are going to have to connect with a serial killer that cuts people up into pieces while they are alive....just doesn't feel right......

mab473 2006-10-03 01:55 PM

If you want to check out the Showtime website from Canada go to this website and click surf on the left, then put in the showtime url and click the Start Surfing button. Walla

www.the-cloak.com

57 2006-10-04 01:15 AM

I find it odd that this programme is not DD5.1 on TMN-HD.

On the Dolby website it's not listed as DD5.1 either. On the Showtime website it is listed as DD5.1 (Thanks mab473). The Rogers IPG also says DD5.1, however, Entertainment Magazine and the TMN website don't indicate DD5.1. What a mess.

I'll e-mail my contact at TMN-HD and report back.