Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/76-smartphone-tablet-computing-including-android-blackberry-ios-devices/)
-   -   Remove Google + (Google Plus) completely (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/76-smartphone-tablet-computing-including-android-blackberry-ios-devices/286209-remove-google-google-plus-completely.html)

17671 2019-01-16 11:10 PM

Remove Google + (Google Plus) completely

Now that Google + (Google Plus) has announced it will be shut down in less than 4 months, what happens to the phones with the app pre-installed from the factory? Shirly google should have the power to allow the app to be fully uninstalled. I know it can be disabled, but the app will be rendered completely useless by april so there is no point having it on my android phone in the first place, even in disabled mode. Does a software developer like google (which also happens to be the OS as well) have the power (permission) to uninstall apps that were pre-installed? shirly they should. what do u think? oh and by the way yes i already know about roms and rooting and am not interested in that, and yes my phone is still under warranty and i plan to keep it that way

BGY11 2019-01-17 06:37 AM

No they don't have the capability to randomly remove apps already pre-installed on the phone as the /system partition that pre-installed apps are installed in is read-only. A system update from the manufacturer of the phone could remove that app though.

That being said, there's a fair bit of misunderstanding about how things work on Android. In most cases, there is actually zero benefit to "uninstalling" a pre-installed app vs "disabling" it. Here's why:

Among the various partitions set up in Android are the /system and /data partitions. As alluded to before, the /system partition is read-only and contains the pre-installed software. This partition is a fixed size that can't be adjusted except by a custom rom. When a system app is updated (say, via Google Play), those updates are actually located in the /data partition as the /system one is read-only. When you disable an app, you'll see a notification asking if you'd like to restore the factory version, and that's why - it removes the app updates from the /data partition and then essentially hides the app from launchers. Yes, it is still taking up space in the /system partition, but even if you could remove it from there, you wouldn't really gain any more usable space because nothing else gets written to that partition anyways and it's not resizable (partly due to being read-only).

Now yes, there IS a way to gain write access to this partition, and that's by rooting the phone (specifically, allowing the "su" (SuperUser) command). That said, unless it's for adding specific software like the Viper4Android audio mod which requires system-level access, being able to enable write access to the /system partition still won't help much if you remove an app from there. You still can't resize the partition,and new apps (or updates to existing apps) will still get placed in the /data partition anyways. So whether you have 2KB or 2GB free in the /system partition really doesn't mean anything; you're not gaining any actual usable space.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

ExDilbert 2019-01-17 03:08 PM

A future system update may disable and hide Google+. In the meantime it may be possible to disable it.

17671 2019-01-18 12:03 PM

Well the good thing is my most recent phone, google+ even though it was pre-installed on the phone, it has the ability to be uninstalled completely which I did. My older phone and tablet, no so good news, those apps are part of the bloatware and can not be uninstalled, but can be disabled. I have disabled them on those devices respectively. I honestly thought google+ was a huge failure and no body I talk to uses it, a lot of people did not even know it creates a plus account by default when they sign up for a gmail/google account