Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Bell Mobility, Solo and Virgin Mobile (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/198-bell-mobility-solo-virgin-mobile/)
-   -   Rich Communication Services (RCS) on Bell Mobility (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/198-bell-mobility-solo-virgin-mobile/284829-rich-communication-services-rcs-bell-mobility.html)

17671 2018-06-04 01:20 PM

Rich Communication Services (RCS) on Bell Mobility

Anyone here using RCS on Bell Mobility?

Before I was with Bell, I had RCS on my Fido phone but I had to download a third party text messaging app called Android Messenger to add the functionality to my phone because the manufacturers built in messaging client (LG messages) did not have RCS built in, though they could have released an updated version if they want, but it would delay the rollout since every manufacturer has to be on board, so it was faster for google to release their client, install it, disable the built in messaging app, and use googles messenger for text, mms and chat (RCS) messages.

Only one contact on my list actually had an RCS compatible phone I could message to and from, but when I did the chat indicators worked just like iMessage, with the sent/read receipts and all. Now fast forward to today, I'm with Bell mobility, my Samsung phone's default messaging app has the RCS functionality built right in so I do not need to use the third party Android Messenger app, since my wife and I both opened lines together and moved to the same carrier, we were able to text each other and get the RCS working instantly, with proper read receipts, and typing indicators, pretty neat. I also am aware all new phones will either have it built in or have the google version of the app installed so new customers will automatically be enrolled in it, so right now I only know 2 people with it, the one russion guy I am friends with and my wife. but as time goes on and more people get newer phones I will like to see people hop onto this technology and start using it more frequently. by the way, a chat (RCS) message is not counted towards your text or mms message quota by your cell phone carrier, so you can send as many as u want and you can even send chat messages over WIFI with the cell network turned off and the message will still sent, because it will send thru the data either cellular data or wifi data, instead of the carrier's signal. pretty neat eh

17671 2018-06-26 12:23 AM

So suddenly my RCS stopped working and all messages were going thru as normal Text (SMS) messages instead of Chat (RCS) messages. I then noticed video calling was not available cus I wanted to chat with my wife. I dunno if my little one was playing with my phone or I inadvertently turned it off by mistake but after going thru my settings it appears the VoLTE setting was turned OFF. When this is OFF it does not allow video calls over LTE nor Advanced Messaging aka RCS messaging aka chat messages. Thank Goodness I figured this out.

Jase88 2018-07-30 10:23 AM

RCS was enabled by default on my Samsung phone with Bell. Or perhaps with VoLTE enabled, as you mentioned.

My concern with RCS is that it's a Google technology. And apparently Google scans messages in the same manner as they do with gmail. Google isn't very forthcoming about this, and in fact they downplay their involvement with the technology.

17671 2018-07-30 01:34 PM

Yes its true that new samsungs have it enabled by defalt, as long as you have the VOLTE toggle turned on, it works. I am just waiting for the day they will allow samsung RCS to communicate with Android Messenger. I have one friend on another carrier who has Android Messenger and my texts to him were in real time (typing indicators, etc) but when i switched to bell, their default rcs message app does not have it at the present moment so i have to wait till they flip the switch.