Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/217-internet-television-streaming-services-including-netflix-apple-tv/)
-   -   CraveTV streaming service (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/217-internet-television-streaming-services-including-netflix-apple-tv/253873-cravetv-streaming-service.html)

Dr.Dave 2016-02-03 07:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
'Manhattan' canceled after two seasons on WGN America

The show was not broadcast in Canada. Season 2 finished airing on WGN America last December and was released on CraveTV in January.

Gilles 2016-02-05 09:58 PM

Surprised at how little CraveTV is adding since going public. Even some of Bell Media's own shows aren't on there yet.

Titanium48 2016-02-07 03:59 PM

^ Same here. I didn't expect Bell to go on a buying spree, but I did expect everything for which Bell already owns rights to be there.

pooper 2016-02-08 08:26 AM

Broadcast and streaming rights aren't always the same thing. Content owners often sell separate licenses for each.

Dr.Dave 2016-02-08 10:00 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I get the impression that CraveTV is adding new shows at the same rate as before it was open to the public. The only change was showing Billions on CraveTV on the same day as it airs on their premium movie channel, The Movie Network. That was probably a result of the special long-term contract they negotiated with Showtime last year.

West of Carp 2016-02-09 08:51 AM

My experience is the same. I have a soon-to-be-expired subscription to Showtime via my Roku and seldom have a problem watching any show on a rural wireless internet service (up to 12mbps). Ditto for Netflix, no buffering, no lagging. Certainly can't say the same for CraveTV over my 9241. Takes forever to load my choice, terrible choppy picture, constant buffering and a really amateurish bare-bones interface. It's included in my 4-month promo for TMN, otherwise, no way I'd subscribe. Like others, I'm still waiting for the long-promised Roku channel to make its appearance. Apparently Bell doesn't believe customers might prefer to watch content on their 50" TVs rather than 8" phones. Go figure!

Paulo 2016-02-09 01:12 PM

What do you expect? Its Bell..

Paul

snorlax 2016-02-10 01:29 PM

99semaj wrote: Does anyone else notice the stream stutters a lot?
Yes, I see the stutter on both my Android tv box and my Samsung laptop with HDMI on my HD 42 inch TV. The same content on Netflix is smooth and has more detail.

Blackloz 2016-02-10 01:47 PM

I've only tried it briefly but it works fine & in full resolution on my tv through my 9400.

noah12 2016-02-11 12:31 PM

I watch ON Demand and yes it stutters allot, or buffers.

snorlax 2016-02-11 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackloz (Post 2707417)
I've only tried it briefly but it works fine & in full resolution on my tv through my 9400.

So it looks like only Bell TV subscribers can get a good HD feed of Crave. I may try it again when they offer it for Playstation. That might get me real HD.

CSA60 2016-02-11 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snorlax (Post 2708274)
So it looks like only Bell TV subscribers can get a good HD feed of Crave. I may try it again when they offer it for Playstation. That might get me real HD.

That's not true at least for satellite. I get frequent buffering and noticeably uneven quality through my 9241 box (even with preference set to highest quality). I have it hard wired to my network and I have anywhere from 15 to 25 mbs download speeds so it's not my network.

IMHO, CraveTV is still not ready for Prime Time and it will have to improve significantly for me to regularly use it (mostly just experimented to this point).

andyk 2016-02-11 06:48 PM

Works really well in HD with Apple TV 3 and Shaw High Speed 10 Internet.
Only problem is the user interface isn't very good.

DonR 2016-02-21 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk (Post 2708457)
Works really well in HD with Apple TV 3 and Shaw High Speed 10 Internet.
Only problem is the user interface isn't very good.

Same here. I decided to give it a try, and so far so good. I'm also using Apple TV 3, with Rogers High Speed.

Dr.Dave 2016-02-23 01:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Bell Media and BBC Worldwide North America Sign Exclusive Multi-Platform Deal for DOCTOR WHO

As a result of the new multi-platform agreement, CraveTV becomes the exclusive Canadian streaming service of DOCTOR WHO beginning with Season 9 this summer. Seasons 1-8 will be available exclusively on the service by the end of 2016. Season 10 and additional upcoming DOCTOR WHO episodes will also be streamed exclusively on CraveTV following their full-season broadcasts on Space.

DOCTOR WHO returns later this year on Space with an all-new 2016 Christmas special, followed by the premiere of Season 10 in Spring 2017.