Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/217-internet-television-streaming-services-including-netflix-apple-tv/)
-   -   CraveTV streaming service (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/217-internet-television-streaming-services-including-netflix-apple-tv/253873-cravetv-streaming-service.html)

gdkitty 2016-01-23 11:20 PM

Its likely because android is considered a MOBILE OS generally.. and the app is a 'mobile' app.. can be loaded on android TV boxes.. but its still a mobile app.

(comparing to the apple TV and an iPhone.. its a different OS, different app, etc.)

snorlax 2016-01-24 05:19 PM

Does Chromecast run Android? If so maybe I can convince Crave, my Android TV box is a Chromecast. The managed devices section properly identified my box as a Android Neo-X8-H, so it is quite possible for Crave to know I am not running Crave on a phone.

TorontoColin 2016-01-24 05:31 PM

No, it doesn't. Bell only makes the Crave Android app for mobile devices, so there's no way to fool it into believing you're not using a mobile device. It only allows for the one option.

cyclist44 2016-01-24 08:29 PM

Anybody know of any Smart TV that has the Crave TV app? My LG TV doesn't have it.

bev fan 2016-01-24 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoColin (Post 2692905)
No, it doesn't. Bell only makes the Crave Android app for mobile devices, so there's no way to fool it into believing you're not using a mobile device. It only allows for the one option.

On the latest android media player Crave tv works perfectly fine. I have MyGica with the lollipop operating system and so far I have been able to play all the apps that I use on my phone. I could not do that with my older android boxes.

gdkitty 2016-01-24 10:45 PM

@bev fan : Works, yes. The person mentioned that it did work.. but NOT in the highest resolution.. that the mobile app limits the MAX resolution for playback?
(don't know, don't have a box to test myself)

@cyclist44 : The Samsung Smart TVs have the app.. only one specifically I know right now.

bev fan 2016-01-24 11:25 PM

No, the person said that it did not work properly because it was freezing all the time.

The highest resolution on Crave tv is 720P no matter which device is being used, but from what I have tested Crave tv will not work on some of the android players and some of the android players will have better resolution than others.

Dr.Dave 2016-01-25 02:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
@bev fan are you getting SD resolution with CraveTV on your Android box and can you measure throughput? The FAQ says a mobile device "can range from 0.2GB to 0.9 GB per hour. However, on many connected devices (AppleTV, Chromecast, etc.), the range of HD streaming rates are between 0.9GB to 2.4 GB per hour."

You should be able to take a snapshot of the Android "Settings/Data Usage" for the app before and after watching for a specific amount of time.

Dr.Dave 2016-01-25 02:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclist44 (Post 2693065)
Anybody know of any Smart TV that has the Crave TV app? My LG TV doesn't have it.

According to the link in post 1, only Samsung TVs have an app written for them.
Quote:

CraveTV is supported on all Samsung 2013 - 2015 models of Smart TVs and blu-ray players with Samsung Smart Hub. If the CraveTV app isn`t already available in your app list, you can find it in the Canadian Samsung Smart Hub.

bev fan 2016-01-25 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Dave (Post 2693209)
@bev fan are you getting SD resolution with CraveTV on your Android box and can you measure throughput? The FAQ says a mobile device "can range from 0.2GB to 0.9 GB per hour. However, on many connected devices (AppleTV, Chromecast, etc.), the range of HD streaming rates are between 0.9GB to 2.4 GB per hour."

You should be able to take a snapshot of the Android "Settings/Data Usage" for the app before and after watching for a specific amount of time.

I just played the same show on android player and Bell fibe PVR and my conclusion is that Crave tv picture quality is actually better on Bell fibe tv.

Dr.Dave 2016-01-25 10:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
@bev fan Thanks for the feedback.

Dr.Dave 2016-01-28 12:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
CraveTV, Now Available to Everybody, Boasts All New Content For February Including the Newly Curated All-Canadian Collection and First CraveTV Original Series LETTERKENNY

The All-Canadian Collection

Launching February 5, the All-Canadian Collection includes more than 1,200 assets and more than 60 series. The All-Canadian Collection debuts with JONATHAN STRANGE & MR NORRELL; the 28-episode, 14th Season of the cult-hit, DEGRASSI; as well as other Canadian hits, including: ORPHAN BLACK, 19-2, CORNER GAS, THE BORGIAS, SAVING HOPE, FLASHPOINT, HOW TO CHANGE THE WORLD, MASTERCHEF CANADA, MOTIVE, THE LISTENER, and much more.

Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 7
LETTERKENNY – *Season 1* – found in the Comedy Collection, What’s New Collection, and All-Canadian Collection
10 p.m. – BILLIONS – Season 1, Episode 4

Tuesday, Feb. 9
TREME – *Season 1- 4* – found in the Drama Collection, Music Collection, What’s New Collection, and HBO Collection

Friday, Feb. 12
THE JINX: THE LIFE AND DEATHS OF ROBERT DURST – found in the Documentary Collection, Crime & Mystery Collections, and HBO Collection

Sunday, Feb. 14
10 p.m. – BILLIONS – Season 1, Episode 5

Friday, Feb. 19
GREASE: LIVE – *Live Musical Special Launch* – found in the Drama Collection, Comedy Collection, Music Collection, and Teen Drama Collection.
EASTBOUND & DOWN – *Season 1-4* – found in the Comedy Collection, Sports Collection, What’s New Collection, and HBO Collection

Sunday, Feb. 21
10 p.m. – BILLIONS – Season 1, Episode 6

Gilles 2016-01-31 04:35 PM

Telus is following Bell's lead and increasing the price of Crave TV to $6/mo as of March 2.

99semaj 2016-01-31 08:11 PM

The iOS app leaves a lot to be desired....on AppleTV it doesn't support Siri voice searches and it doesn't have preview splashes on the main menu like Netflix or ITunes movie store.

Does anyone else notice the stream stutters a lot?

Gilles 2016-01-31 08:44 PM

The Apple TV 4 app is a straight port of the old Apple TV app. I expect they'll rewrite it to be better at some point. I don't subscribe to it though, so I can't comment on streams.