Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Bell Satellite TV (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/10-bell-satellite-tv/)
-   -   Bell TV Pricing and Programming Packages Discussion (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/10-bell-satellite-tv/252841-bell-tv-pricing-programming-packages-discussion.html)

57 2015-12-31 02:33 PM

Bell TV Pricing and Programming Packages Discussion

Welcome to this year's thread and here's last year's:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/10-b...on-2015-a.html

dharper 2016-01-18 03:34 AM

So when does this pick and pay (or smaller packages) kick in that we were promised by the CRTC? I am sure I could shave off half of the channels I am forced to get, to get the channels I want. Of coarse, that would be a next to perfect world. I am sure Bell has some computers buzzing away right now, making packages with one channel you want with others that you don't want. It really irks me that I have to get all of these children's channels, when there are no children in this household.

ParadoxInsanity 2016-01-18 08:57 AM

Skinny Basic: March. Pick and pay: by the end of the year

Be careful what you wish for... Canadians have wanted PnP for decades now. The ONLY reason it's coming is because the CRTC is mandating them. But, do you really think there will be a net saving to the consumer? Unlikely. There's noting on the books to say that Food Network (my favourite channel) won't cost $49.50/month. In the end, consumers will likely pay the same or more under this new plan. Colour me jaded, sorry.

colinpeddle 2016-01-18 03:48 PM

I have the same thoughts. No way it's any better than the current situation. If anything, I bet it will cost a few dollars more on average.

Dr.Dave 2016-01-18 04:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
By March, they will have to offer pick-and-pay or small packages. By December, they will have to offer both.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-t...ml#post2458225

dharper 2016-01-20 12:13 AM

Yes it is sad that it would probably cost the same or more, to dump probably at least 20 channels that I never watch. At least if we can pick what channels we want, we won't be supporting channels that we don't want.

4n2t0 2016-01-20 06:42 PM

ExpressVu - Only receiving east coast?

I just returned from vacation and noticed that all network channels, except for the east coast, have been purged from the guide. Did something happen? e.g. I only get CBC East (Toronto), all the west coast US networks are missing (1210 1211, 1212, 1213). Aren't all these channels part of every package to allow for "time shifting"?

bev fan 2016-01-20 07:04 PM

I believe that time shifting costs additional $5, maybe your promotion is over and now you would have to add that option again.

jackie999 2016-01-26 08:52 AM

I've just paid (what I hope) is the last 'basic' bill that I'll be paying since I'll be switching to skinny basic. I'm paid up to Feb 21st now - subscribing to this thread so I can switch to the skinny as soon as it's available. I'm curious as to what channels they'll be including...

noah12 2016-01-26 04:05 PM

I read that they must have the skinny package available by March 2016 but have all other pick and play channels available by dec 2016

ParadoxInsanity 2016-01-26 04:18 PM

$25 basic cable package must be in place by March 1 - Business - CBC News

Quote:

In addition to the basic $25 package, cable and satellite providers must move to a pick-and-pay system or offer small bundles of channels, also by the March 1 deadline. They must offer both by Dec. 1 of next year.
Why the CRTC's $25 'skinny basic' package may not work | Harris | TV | Entertain

Quote:

Far more likely is that some people who currently have cable or satellite packages will see this as an opportunity to “downsize.”
I realize the quoted articles speak of "cable", but the same rules apply to satellite.

Dr.Dave 2016-01-26 04:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I'm curious as to what channels they'll be including.
The link in post 5 lists what can be in skinny basic - essentially the locals and a few mandatory specialty channels most people don't care about.

ParadoxInsanity 2016-01-26 06:03 PM

Precisely, @Dr.Dave ... "the locals and a few mandatory specialty channels most people don't care about". Canadians demanded this level of product since the 90's when I worked for the old Graham Cable TV/FM. But, the reality is "skinny" basic, while an excellent proposal on paper, will truly only appeal to a small fraction of Bell's customer base. Most of the skinny channels are available OTA, and who watches CPAC and provincial legislature channels?

Common sense is if people really wanted to "stick it to Bell", they disconnect altogether. Most others will wake up on March 1st and keep the level of service status quo. I guess people like to believe they are given a choice even if they opt not to use it.

MCIBUS 2016-01-26 06:37 PM

Does this mean the existing packages will be scrapped force consumers if they want the same channels they have now IE Best(Fibe TV) to pay more then they are now for that exact amount of channels. If so that's TOTAL BS :mad:

ParadoxInsanity 2016-01-26 06:42 PM

Were the packages scrapped from the Genesis platform with the introduction of Good/Better/Best? Methinks they'll be grandfathered and as long as you're on the former, you can stay. New/upgrade subs will eventually be forced.