Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/76-smartphone-tablet-computing-including-android-blackberry-ios-devices/)
-   -   Blackberry Priv: Too little, too late? (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/76-smartphone-tablet-computing-including-android-blackberry-ios-devices/249762-blackberry-priv-too-little-too-late.html)

Abysmal 2015-11-07 10:40 PM

Blackberry Priv: Too little, too late?

Or maybe a second chance for BlackBerry.BlackBerry Priv Review | Android Central

TKG26 2015-11-08 12:06 AM

last chance from the sounds of things... should have done this years ago.. hope they do well with it

CamDAB 2015-11-08 12:50 AM

I would have been a LOT more interested had it been loaded with Marshmallow than Lollipop which it comes with. But I guess the development cycle along with the OS tweaks mean they didn't have Marshmallow (Android v6) to work with.

Of course the other 65 cent question is, will it be available on Wind Mobile?

Cameron

ssbtech 2015-11-08 08:56 PM

Lots of complaints on the BlackBerry fan site about issues with the BlackBerry hub. Things like not being able to attach files from DropBox to emails and other messaging activities that are easily accomplished with BB10's hub. Other issues like no native file manager have BlackBerry 10 users confused. Not sure why Android OS doesn't come with a file manager...

Also poor speaker quality (it's a single mono speaker behind the grille) has many disappointed. Anyone coming from a Z30 or Passport knows what good sound on a phone can be like.

TorontoColin 2015-11-08 09:30 PM

They actually added one in Android 6.0, but the reason it didn't was the same reason iOS doesn't have one - for the average users there's no need. There are plenty of excellent file managers on the Play Store, but I haven't bothered with one since Android 2.3. If BlackBerry (or BlackBerry users) wanted one, it's easy enough to add one.

ssbtech 2015-11-08 09:36 PM

I use the file manager on BB10 on a regular basis - how else do you get to your stuff?

I'm often emailing things from either my device or my OneDrive account, or fetching files while in a meeting. File management is a key feature of any OS, and when performing simple tasks like emailing a file to someone can't be done without one, then it seems silly Google would omit this from Android.

Anyway, I was just surprised to hear the "King of OSs" didn't have one baked in. After all, my daily BB10 device is just a useless dinosaur :rolleyes:

MarcP 2015-11-08 10:03 PM

And others complain of bloatware they don't need. Go figure...

ssbtech 2015-11-08 10:51 PM

To draw a comparison to Windows PCs....

File Explorer isn't "bloatware". "Ebay" and "WildTangent" are.

I can't think of a reason a file manager on a phone OS would be bloatware.

MarcP 2015-11-08 10:55 PM

Because you're obviously an authority on the matter. You speak for all users.

BGY11 2015-11-08 11:05 PM

Emailing files is generally done from the Document Manager in Android. If you want something a little better for managing files, there's a lot of choices in the Play Store. That's the great thing with Android.

We know full well your opinions on Android ssbtech, and obviously if you are dead set on sticking with what you know about BB10, the Priv is not the BlackBerry for you. Other BB users may not want to do things the same specific way you're used to, and the freedom of options with an Android device won't be a problem.

As for other BlackBerry users complaining, most will figure out that Android does things differently. Android isn't BB10, and there will definitely be differences that BlackBerry users will have to get used to.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

ssbtech 2015-11-08 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGY11 (Post 2642866)
Emailing files is generally done from the Document Manager in Android.

But that means you have to *start* by selecting the file you want to email, completely backwards from how it's normally done on a PC.

How easy does it make it to pick a PDF, a DOC and a few JPGs all from different folders and attach to an email for example?

ssbtech 2015-11-08 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcP (Post 2642858)
Because you're obviously an authority on the matter. You speak for all users.

Or you could educate me on why the Android method is superior, instead of being condescending.

BGY11 2015-11-08 11:54 PM

There's no point - we know your past history, and you are dead set in your ways.

Not worth our time

BGY11 2015-11-09 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssbtech (Post 2642882)
But that means you have to *start* by selecting the file you want to email, completely backwards from how it's normally done on a PC.

How easy does it make it to pick a PDF, a DOC and a few JPGs all from different folders and attach to an email for example?

Not true at all. When you tap the attachment icon and select "From File" it opens the Document Storage where you can select files. There's even a Recent tab that opens by default that will pull your recent files from wherever they are.

Once again, different approach for a different OS.

TorontoColin 2015-11-09 08:30 AM

Exactly. When I attempt to attach from an email, the document manager gives me the following places to look: Recent, Images, Video, Audio, Downloads, Google Drive, and Google Photos. Other apps can also plug into that api and show up there.

A file explorer forces users to learn the architecture of their phone, which they should never have to learn. It's user unfriendly, which is why even in Android 6.0 it's hidden deep in the settings. But, as mentioned, if you want one, they're easy to find.