Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Home Computing (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/51-home-computing/)
-   -   Info on SSDs (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/51-home-computing/237745-info-ssds.html)

JugglingReferee 2015-05-07 01:40 AM

Info on SSDs

Hi.

I'm new to the SSD and I'm looking to get one for my home desktop.

Can anyone tell me some features that I should definitely get when looking for an SSD?

And what should I avoid?

Lastly, if you know of a super deal on a quality product, please do let me know.

I'm thinking around the 250GB range because it seems that those are about $100, which is what my budget is.

stampeder 2015-05-07 02:10 AM

Hi, please tell us about the SATA specifications of the machine that you intend to install one into, and let us know which OS you will be running.

timlocke 2015-05-07 05:39 AM

Stampeders questions are the most important.
I agree that 240-250 Gb is the sweet spot for price at the moment with the 440-512 size starting to drop to a decent price. My three home desktops have all been retrofitted with SSD. They run W7 and W10

All mine are Samsung 840 drives bought at various times ( and prices!) Intel and Crucial both have a good reputation for these devices.

Transferring the system onto SSD does need some preparation if you have a machine with a big drive and lots of data to determine what apart from the OS should be moved...the SSD manufacturers try to make it sound simple but as you do not want to put any really volatile data ( like TEMP or the Browser cache ) onto the SSD it takes some thought.

gdkitty 2015-05-07 09:09 AM

I have been using the Kingston SSD drives here for over a year now.. haven't had an issue yet.
(both desktops, and as laptop replacements).

In some cases, it was a just drive clone from the old regular platter drive to the SSD.

Already a HUGE performance boost, on Win 7.
(though win8 or 10 will probably have a BIGER performance boost with the SSD)

JugglingReferee 2015-05-07 11:58 AM

SATA II and Win 7.

I have 12 GB of RAM, hoping to run a VM with Linux. And maybe MacOS if that can be done.

Danster 2015-05-07 06:03 PM

I have 4 brand SSD's in my computers: I have Crucial, Samsung, Intel and Sandisk. All 4 vary in price and quite frankly, the loading times of my Windows 7 configurations, seem to be about the same on all 4 computers.

To say brand ABC is better than DEF, to me is irrelevant. They look the same to me just different prices.

dabell 2015-05-07 06:24 PM

Another option is the Seagate Hybrid drives - 1 TB drive with 8 GB SSD, about $120. Simple explanation, drive moves the most used data to SSD portion.

ExDilbert 2015-05-07 06:33 PM

Quote:

SATA II and Win 7.
Any major brand SSD drive will be fine. Barring any known defects or high failure rates for a particular model, I would purchase on price for this system. SSDs in general are very reliable and typically exceed published lifetime ratings. As one reviewer recently said, it's almost impossible to wear out a modern SSD under normal home use. Some types of SSD memory will last longer and/or provide better performance but usually also costs more. The Samsung 850 EVO is an easy recommendation for a budget drive.

JugglingReferee 2015-05-08 12:55 AM

Thanks everyone.

Picked up a PNY for $100.

Tikker 2015-05-11 03:37 PM

I'd also think about picking up paragon software. They've got a simple migration tool to go from a hdd to a ssd. Used it on both laptops and it worked flawlessly