Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Home Computing (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/51-home-computing/)
-   -   O/S 7,8 or 8.1 - Best Monitor Brand (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/51-home-computing/220097-o-s-7-8-8-1-best-monitor-brand.html)

matt4x4 2014-09-20 02:09 PM

O/S 7,8 or 8.1 - Best Monitor Brand

Been reading mixed reviews on windows 8 and 8.1, heard 7 is best selling. Im a casual user and casual gamer, at most World of Tanks, YouTube, multiple IE screens open with a couple basic online games, Word - all at the same time.

Need to also know the most reliable brands for monitor. I dont care about looks, care about price.

How do I save the stuff on my original HD when installing a new o/s?

Should I just buy a new HD?

tux 2014-09-21 03:31 AM

I'd recommend a cheap laptop. You can get a 15" laptop running Windows 8.1 for under $300, and Office 365 Personal for $70/yr or Office 365 University for $80 for 4 years (if you qualify as a student). You will need to reinstall your programs and games on the new computer, and you will probably need to reconfigure your settings for all your programs. As far as transferring documents and files, just put everything on a USB stick to copy it over.

If you decide to go the desktop route, you're typically looking at more expensive, but more powerful systems, with monitors not generally included, and without touchscreen. If you're looking for office productivity or higher-end gaming, you'll be looking towards desktops; otherwise, you should stick to laptops.

If you're buying a monitor, Dell is a good brand but just about any brand is equal in terms of reliability. As standard features, monitors will be LCD widescreen supporting 1080p (1920x1080) native resolution. Monitors start at about $100+, and you can usually get up to 24" in the $100-$200 range. Any monitor you buy should support both DVI and VGA connections.

In my experience, it always helps to price-compare online between FS, BB, Staples, and Dell before making a purchase, as all of them always have sales going on.

audacity 2014-09-21 12:24 PM

Do you have a budget? I'd normally recommend getting the best display you can afford, and then build your computer around that.

The Tech Report has some good system builds. The problem with cheap laptops is that they're generally not so good for games.

http://techreport.com/review/27026/t...system-guide/9

matt4x4 2014-09-22 05:35 PM

I'm upgrading my desktop computer. Its not that old (bought in 2007 or 2008), I went out and bought a LG 27" LCD Widescreen, plus some cheap speakers, beats the stupid pod speaker I had.

So originally I was looking at upgrading ram (from 4gb to 8gb) and a SSD but both are too expensive. Keeping the 4gb ram which is plenty. Will probably just go 350-500GB 7200rpm or 10krpm sata. And partition the HD to a Windows O/S (either 7, 8, or 8.1) and Linux (to give it a try). I believe there's a way to boot from one or the other. If theres a cheap graphics card I will throw that in, beats the onboard one I have, which the benchmarks rate as pretty low.

That Laptop idea is an interesting thought, I would do that in a heartbeat if there was a way to "extract" the new O/S on the laptop and install it on the desktop. I must admit I had that thought myself a couple years ago, but everything is "attached" or "signed" to each other. I would get a new laptop and get rid of my old one with the battery shot, the old laptop is good for music downloads and such, keep the junk off the desktop.

tux 2014-09-23 02:48 AM

The copy of Windows pre-installed on laptops is a single-device license, not transferable to other machines. If you want to run Windows in a dual-boot environment or as a VM, you need to purchase a full copy of Windows for about $120.

matt4x4 2014-09-25 05:25 PM

The store that I go to is selling full copies of Microsoft O/S's, they also sell OEM with just a disk for other programs.

What does VM mean? Virtual Machine?

Oh, and I just had a thought. Would just replacing the old 4GB PC26300 ram with some fresh 4GB PC26300 ram change anything?
Same thought about the new hard drive. I originally just wanted a new hard drive and fresh install of new O/S to just know that its fresh, but with transfering some stuff over viruses might still be in those files, pdf, word, excel etc.

tux 2014-09-26 12:16 AM

A VM is just another way of running a second OS on your computer, similar to "XP mode" in Windows 7, or "Parallels Desktop" on a Mac. If you've never heard of it, you don't need it.

OEM copies of software are generally only licensed/sold with new computer systems. Replacing your RAM won't accomplish anything, but if you're installing a new 64-bit OS (such as Win 7 64-bit or Win 8.1 64-bit), adding more RAM to your computer might help. 32-bit systems like XP can only use 4 GB of RAM, 64-bit Windows can use more.

If you're worried about viruses, run a full scan of your computer using something like MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Most viruses these days come from exe files from untrusted sources, from ad-supported freeware installers, or from malicious/spammy websites.

ExDilbert 2014-09-26 10:13 AM

With Windows, OEM licenses are just for one, specific system. OEM licenses are available at retail and can be purchased to save money on a new system. Retail licenses can be transferred to a new system. In this case, a retail upgrade license costs about the same as an OEM license and can be transferred to another system, if necessary, in the future.

tux 2014-09-27 02:41 AM

^ There's no longer any such thing as an "upgrade license". You can purchase the full version or the OEM version. In either case, the upgrade license restrictions no longer exist: you don't have to replace your old Windows with the new one (you can dual-boot, etc), you don't need your old product key or Windows CD, the new version of Windows doesn't need to be installed on the same computer as your previous Windows, and the bitness (32-bit or 64-bit) doesn't have to be the same.

If you're upgrading from XP, keep in mind that there's no option for an "in-place upgrade" ; you'll need to either reformat, or install Windows to a different drive/partition, and you should backup everything you want to keep before installing the new OS.

ExDilbert 2014-09-27 10:52 AM

Upgrades still exist. I believe they must be purchased directly from Microsoft. It is not really a separate license but the installation key is different since it requires an existing, qualifying version of Windows to be installed.

tux 2014-09-29 02:42 PM

^ Not anymore. Windows 7 and 8 had upgrade version, but Win7 has past its "end of retail sales" date, and Win8 passes that date next month. Windows 8.1 only offers a full version, for the same price as the Win8 upgrade. For Win8.x, "Pro Packs" are still available, to upgrade the Standard version to Win8.x Pro.

KiethHoyt 2014-10-08 02:02 PM

Maybe it would be best to wait for Windows 10 as it will be a culmination of Windows 7 and 8/8.1's best features.