Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Portable Electronics: Digital Cameras, Camcorders, ebook Readers, iPods, MP3 Players and GPS (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/179-portable-electronics-digital-cameras-camcorders-ebook-readers-ipods-mp3-players-gps/)
-   -   iPod Classic discontinued (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/179-portable-electronics-digital-cameras-camcorders-ebook-readers-ipods-mp3-players-gps/219194-ipod-classic-discontinued.html)

newsguy 2014-09-11 09:06 PM

iPod Classic discontinued

Yes, my fears have come true. Apple is discontinuing making the iPod Classic. Don't don't know what I'll be able to do with my music collection if my player becomes irreparable since it's so large. I've complained to Apple, but I don't know what good that will do. I feel like the little guy is getting shafted again.

notsure 2014-09-11 09:22 PM

Doesn't it get backed up to iTunes?

DSgamby 2014-09-11 09:30 PM

Yes, but it is kinda hard to use iTunes while going for a walk.

CamDAB 2014-09-11 09:32 PM

The classic (I have the 30Gb older one) and the newer ones have no WiFi or other wireless connection. Yes, you can back them up, but if the device is discontinued, what do you then put it on with the capacities the classics have?

Not a great move Apple... I hadn't thought of replacing mine yet, but with the battery loosing capacity, it's getting tenuous...

Cameron

BGY11 2014-09-11 10:17 PM

Unfortunately, sales have been nowhere near what they used to be, and thus, after 7 years they finally decided to retire it. In other words, it's not too surprising they discontinued it; it's more surprising it took this long to do so.

CamDAB 2014-09-11 10:31 PM

Interesting question: get a classic before they vanish or wait for the Pono...

I have absolutely no interest in a portable streaming device and leaving all that music on the PC...

Cameron

John Koenig 2014-09-11 11:25 PM

I own a 160 GB Classic. That thing goes back to 2007 and plays darn nice sitting on the Bose Soundock 10. Looks and works just like new. Really well built little piece of electronics and I would not part with it as the FM radio (option) has come in handy on more than one occasion.

As for Camron's comment on streaming well, I run the Serve-To-Me/Stream-to-Me serptup on an iPhone and let me tell you that the ability to search through 37000 tracks stored on a drive at home by entering just a few characters in a search field is nothing short of a bliss to me. Of course this requires you to be in a solid LTE connection because that thing doesn't buffer much and audio quality is dynamically reduced to unberable bit rates over little signal loss.

audacity 2014-09-12 12:36 AM

Google Play music streams my large collection of music, as well as all the music that Google has licenced (which is significant), and it does 320kbps just fine.

I don't think large amounts of local storage is still required.

Wayne 2014-09-12 12:56 AM

FYI - once I heard about this I went looking for them and they were hard to find. I was able to order one at Staples.

IMHO the Classic is great for holding all of your music and keeping in your car.

Wayne 2014-09-12 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGY11 (Post 2269850)
... after 7 years they finally decided to retire it.

7 years - I would say that the iPod Classic is pretty much the same as the original iPod released in 2001 so that is 13 years.

Here is the original:
http://km.support.apple.com/library/.../HT1353_30.jpg

Wayne 2014-09-12 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audacity (Post 2269970)
I don't think large amounts of local storage is still required.

But then how do you play music in your car? Stream over LTE? What about on a 15 hr flight to Hong Kong?

audacity 2014-09-12 01:18 AM

Google Play can cache songs on your phone. You can either download the music you want for a long "offline period" to your device, and stuff you've recently listened to is cached.

The best part is that when you do have network connectivity, loading that music onto your device is so easy. Just search for what you want, and download it. It's much less effort than connecting your device to your computer and copying over the content you want. And it's the same process whether the music is from your own MP3 "locker" or if it's music you're getting from your Google Play subscription.

BGY11 2014-09-12 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne (Post 2269994)
7 years - I would say that the iPod Classic is pretty much the same as the original iPod released in 2001 so that is 13 years.

I was speaking from a capacity standpoint. The 160GB Classic is 7 years old with no updates. That's a significant difference from the original 5GB, Firewire-only OG iPod

Tikker 2014-09-12 12:32 PM

i don't understand

just get a new device that accepts microSD cards, and load all your music onto that....

they do make 128gb cards now, and do you REALLY need your entire collection of music at once?

Wayne 2014-09-12 12:35 PM

Why shouldn't I have all my music at once, especially in my car? And 128GB microSD cards still seem to be over $100.