Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (
-   Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders (
-   -   Looking for a cheap Tuner Card for OTA Digital & Cable that can Change Chanels (

ZippyTheChicken 2014-08-23 12:31 AM

Looking for a cheap Tuner Card for OTA Digital & Cable that can Change Chanels

I am currently getting cable tv but due to cost factors I am expecting to go to Antenna sometime in the future .. probably a while from now but it will probably happen due to budget. .. Anyway...

I would like to find a TV Tuner that can support my needs now and later.

I was looking to use my computer as a DVR to capture shows that I can watch later in the day or on the weekend.

I would like to schedule times during the day or select shows from a lineup and have my computer record them automatically ... and also in the background if I happen to be working on my computer.

Because I my cable company requires a digital box at each tv and there are no open channels I need a way for the TV Tuner to control the Cable Box.

I have seen at least one TV Tuner that did have a inferred device that hooked to the tuner card and was placed infront of the cable box to change channels. NOT the ir device to allow you to use a remote but this device sat in front of the cable box and acted like a remote control to change stations so it could record shows.

I am on a budget and $150 is no where near what I can pay .. I would say more like $50 is kinda pushing it but maybe.

Also Cable Cards in the tuner is out.. too expensive and eventually im going to antenna.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Tikker 2014-08-23 03:47 PM

I don't think any such card exists and probably not for sub100 if it does.

ExDilbert 2014-08-23 11:30 PM

The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 will record analog cable, where available, or ATSC and analog OTA. It has two tuners but only one input so two cards or a cable switch must be used. It will also record the analog output from a digital box. There are no products that will record encrypted digital cable without Cablecard. Cablecard is available in the US, not Canada and most cable channels are encrypted.

gdkitty 2014-08-24 06:12 PM

ExDilbert hit the big issue on the head.

Nothing will tune, even with a digital tuner for up here, as nothing is with cablecard.

All in all, best bet would be to use a tuner, which has an IR BLASTER capability, to be able to tune a digital box.
Usually those ones are a little more on the more $100+ side last I looked.
Would only be able to record SD as well, using your standard inputs (coax, composite).
Would need something like the Hauppauge HD PVR or Colossus card.

ExDilbert 2014-08-25 03:11 AM

The retail version of the WinTV-HVR-2250 includes an IR remote and IR blaster. The (cheaper) OEM version does not.

The Hauppauge HD PVR or Colossus card do not tune OTA. They are meant for recording from HD digital boxes and are way over budget. They are also much more difficult to use and are less reliable than a WinTV-HVR-2250. If picture quality for recording from a DVR is not a big issue, the WinTV-HVR-2250 is a much better choice.

ZippyTheChicken 2014-08-27 08:04 AM

It seems that the things that allow your media center software to control your cable box are called an IR Blaster. you stick them in front of your cable box and they send the signal like a remote control to the cable box to change stations. That way your Media Center software can change the channel.

Yes i understand about cable card tuners for PCs they are expensive and you have to pay the cable company just like a set top box I do not want them and I am not sure I could get one I asked Comcast about them a while back and they said they had no idea what they were.

So I guess with a TV Tuner you can record the composite output from the cable box and use an IR Blaster adapter to let your media center change channels all day while you are out or doing something.

I am looking at them now on amazon .. i think some plug into the tuner card and some are independent of the tuner card

57 2014-08-27 10:49 AM

I assume you know that the composite connection is SD (480i). For HD you'll need a Hauppauge HDPVR and provider STB or the Provider's PVR. Here's the FAQ on Recording HD.

With Comcast you should be able to get a CableCARD, but as you say, you'll need to pay, as you would for a STB.

j0dest3r 2014-08-27 03:47 PM

Unfortunately the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 is cheaper than the first one and the Colossus however it supports much less software, no Media Center support etc. even though it has an IRblaster included.

ExDilbert 2014-08-27 03:53 PM

The original HDPVR has an IR blaster as well. (How well it works is another issue.) The HDPVR2 is just a gutted HDPVR. I wouldn't recommend the HDPVR for unattended recording of HD.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome