Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw Direct 2014 programming packages and pricing discussion

43K views 87 replies 47 participants last post by  bcbud3 
#1 ·
#2 ·
This thread has been quiet since we're two almost three months into the new year already.

Has anyone else noticed that Digital Lite can now have additional features bundled into it on the Self Service programming change section? (Unless it's another bug with Self Service, eh?)

Take One channels, Take Two channels, Adult packages, Choice Radio + selection Radio, Encore Ave HD, HD Extra Lite, HD No extra cost, HD Plus, HD Extra, HD Sports, HD Combo, Premium Sports, Hollywood Suite, Movies East or West, Movies Extra East or West, Encore Ave HD, Super Channel, Timeshift, TSN HD, Multicultural Channels: ATN, Fairchild, and Odyssey Television Network can be added to Digital Lite.
**Note HD No Extra cost is not a selectable option for any package - it is included in Digital Lite as a bonus with Standard Definition Subscriptions.
Anyone taking advantage of this benefit yet and are you enjoying it? Looking at now $70+/month+taxes for Digital Favourites, it's nice to see an option for those of us who aren't wanting to shell out the extra $10 or so in the past year from increases, just to keep access to channels we don't want when we only watch a few here and there. Just my two cents anyhow..

Byron

#3 ·
Yep! You can add to digital lite, I signed up yesterday. Was going to get Bell Fibe, but with Shaw I'm saving about $10/month and getting more channels. I also like that I can get a free pvr without having to subscribe to 3 services, and no contract :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
It's not a totally free PVR but rather a free PVR rental for 2 years. Afterwards, you have to pay $9.99 per month for the rental of your PVR receiver.

Also, select authorized independent Shaw Direct dealers can now offer new customers both 1 PVR (630) and 1 non PVR (600) free 2 year rentals for a limited time.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is Shaw moving channels to force upgrade?

Is Shaw moving channels onto the new satellite to force customers to upgrade? Yesterday I made some changes to my programming. Trying to update my favourites list, I noticed I don't get certain channels I should and used to get, mostly HD channels like 256 (Global HD) and 292 (CBC Toronto HD) but also a couple of SD like 298 (CBC Regina) and 350 (APTN). That is to say, I get a "Searching for Satellite" message when I try to tune into them. About a dozen in total. All part of the Essentials package or included HD equivalents.

After trying a refresh via the website I called Shaw. They told me that the channels in question were all "Time Shift" channels on the new satellite and I would have to upgrade my dish and receivers to get them. This seems odd, as I know I used to get at least some of them with my existing equipment. It also seems odd that a Toronto station would be "time shifted" given that I live in the same time zone.

However, I d/l the channel lineup chart dated January 2014 from Shaw's websit, and except for 298, the channel numbers do not appear on the list. In fact, several channels I DO still get are not on the list by that number (eg: 502, City TV Toronto HD and 288, PBS Detroit). I see the names of the missing channels with numbers like 033 (CBC Toronto HD) or 035 (City Toronto HD). I assume these must be the new numbers on the new satellite?

Can anyone here confirm what is going on? Is the CSR correct? If so, I'm a bit angry and feel that Shaw is being underhanded about things by not telling me in advance that changing my programming would result in no longer receiving channels that I'm paying for unless I bought all new equipment.

#9 ·
Sounds like you may have moved from a grandfathered packaged that used to include the timeshifted channels to one that doesn't or that they put you on the wrong code for the type of lnb you have The searching for satellite sounds like you have the wrong code for the lnb bcause if it was simply that you were not subscribed to those channels any more the message would reflect that.

#10 · (Edited)
Agree, searching for signal either means that you have the wrong map (i.e. xKu when using non-xKu LNBF) or that your dish has an issue receiving the signal. You can check on our channels database at http://shawdirect.channels.drsat.ca to find out which channels are on the new Anik G1 satellite.

Also to check which map you have on your receiver, press OPTIONS then 4 then 7. Under map status, if you see 4321, it means you have the xKu map so you should call Shaw Direct to have it switched back to the non-xKu map.

#11 ·
programming prices - Shaw Direct web site

I've been fiddling with the Shaw website's programming section.
It seems hard to work with and understand - is that just me, or do others find it a little confusing?
For example, I couldn't find how to price 'pick and pays' - no area shows up where they are selected. Also, is the only way to see how expensive your choices are is to wait until the end, submit the entire package and then see the total?
Has the multi-receiver discount changed recently? I have Platinum, which used to be covered, and I don't get charged.
But if I look at their option list, only Titanium and Ultimate seem exempt.
hmmm.
Is there a better place to plan a programming layout then at Shaw Direct's site?

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's suppose to be confusing so you give up and pick there bundles which have channels that you never will watch and they make more money ;)
Yes they changed the multi receiver fee,if you don't have the bigger bundle package they charge you an Extra 5 bucks.
That seems to be there thing now,everything is a 5 dollar extra fee which brings it up the total cost per month.
Just so you know I couldn't get the pick your single channels to work on there web site either .
You have to phone there customer service line and you can only pick certain channels as a single add on.
The federal government and made noise a while ago that they were going to fix this,but so far it's only been a lot of hot wind;)
Good luck

#13 ·
Indeed, after being on hold for 10:34, a CSR cleared up what the web site couldn't, although some things weren't to be found anywhere on the site where I searched. Regardless, if you've got the time to stay on hold, it's likely faster than mucking with the web site...just try and make sense of "time shifting" rules....yikes

#17 ·
Single Receiver Fee

A little research after my posting found that it is a warranty fee that would suggest it is optional. The line on my statement is "single receiver fee". The only change I made recently was deactivating my second receiver. I will call SD later to remove the fee. This takes me back to my NFL Sunday Ticket subscription last season when they offered me the entire NHL season for $30. Then charged me $30 a month. Then they apologized and said they could not change it in their system. So they issued me a $175 credit while continuing to charge me $30 a month so that I would virtually break even.

#18 ·
Check your past bills. You might have been paying a multi-receiver fee of $5.99 a month if you had 2 receivers going before. This MRF is included in the high end package but most packages now will show a separate $5.99 fee if you have more than 1 receiver active on your account.

#20 ·
New package?

Received a promotional ad in the mail offering a package called "Atlantic Indulgence" for $39.99 and regular price of 55.95 when the promotion ends.
Lots of channels similar to digital favorites. Presently have digital lite and thinking of obtaining the new package which is not published on the website.

Any opinions?

Cheers
Commish

#23 ·
Channel 105, Interactive Weather gone as of July 23rd 2014

Learned yesterday that Shaw's Interactive Weather (provided by Accu-Weather) Channel 105 is gone as of July 23rd 2014. The information on screen says you can get the weather from channel 096... The Weather Channel, or from a mobile app. For people who got 105 with LTSS, they will lose access to forecasts. According to a Shaw CSR I spoke with, it was because the vendor had severed ties with Shaw.

Does anyone know why the interactive weather is being cancelled, and what it may be replaced with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.