Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Shaw Direct Satellite (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/)
-   -   V-Code Really This Difficult? (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/172538-v-code-really-difficult.html)

Renton 2013-06-07 10:23 AM

V-Code Really This Difficult?

I'll brief my story and I'd like to know if anyone else is having similar issues.

I have 2 605 receivers. When I would go to channel 588 previous to the new LNB it said satellite upgrade required.

I have the OVP programming package with the movies added.

I installed the new xKu LNB on Wednesday evening. Immediately after installing it I saw several new channels were in the guide and many of them worked. I was however unable to now tune into some previously existing channels like AMC HD, and even channel 299 which is the Shaw Direct channel.

I called to have the V-Code sent to my receiver and I think I got an inexperienced rep. He hummed for a while, put me on hold several times, and then said he sent it down and I had to reset the receiver. I had to go to work so I got off the line, reset the box, and when I returned home next this was the result:

My guide was now reset to classic....so my Hd channels started at 32. I could see some of the new channels were there, but I was now missing a bunch of channels that I had always had like FXHD and some other Movie HD ones.

I called back and had someone reset my guide back to advanced, resend the V-Code, do a factory reset on the receiver, and then hand up on me while I was on hold for 10 minutes after this didn't correct anything. The guide reset properly, so HD channels start on 300 now. But 988 now says 'receiver upgrade required'. I have a 605.

So I have to call back still but I wanted to know if anyone else has had similar issues where after the LNB and V-Code I'm not missing FXHD, Encore HD, Movie HD. My guide actually skips the channels they should be on entirely. I've got it on show all channels and show unsubscribed channels, and I do see the grey unsubscribed channels in the guide...but the channel's I'm missing now are completely vanished and you can't manually go to the channel number either.

I'll have to call them back but this will be the 3rd call now and I wanted to see if anyone else is having these issues.

TJ77 2013-06-07 01:28 PM

There are so many V-codes in the system now that it seems like there is a great deal of confusion.There have also been some problems with some programming packages and the G1 lineup.

I would suggest you try the new online chat feature to get this sorted out. I used it yesterday with no wait time and the agent seemed very competent.

stecle 2013-06-08 12:28 AM

I have a lot of empathy for the Shaw phone staff as they are put on the firing line with very inadequate training. Also at the end of their shift the first questions they ask the CSR is how many sales-upgrades did you make and your call wrap rate. No one at Shaw actually cares about how many problems you fixed.

Renton 2013-06-08 02:31 PM

Well my issue is half resolved. I got home after posting this thread to find that 1 of my 605's had corrected everything from the night before.

That last thing I did was send a refresh to the receivers myself at the end of the night as well.

So when I got home I found the upstairs 605 had everything...all the new channels...all the missing ones from the day before...channel 988 says I'm ready for the new channels. Everything was great.

I went to the receiver downstairs and nothing was any different. I did a hard reset, unplugged, refreshed...nothing. So I did a factory reset (which was a step the CSR made me do on the upstairs receiver the night before during troublehsooting). That factory reset messed up my remote. It doesn't work now cause it was programmed to a different address.

Any ideas on how to correct that?

After the reset it's still not working. I called and sent another receiver refresh but I don't know if it will do anything. Frustrating that now I have 1 working receiver and 1 not working....

GaryE 2013-06-08 03:37 PM

Do both receivers have the same V-code? (Options-4-7-Line F). Was reading somewhere that SD has to hit each receiver separately.

Renton 2013-06-10 11:16 PM

That was it...called back and got the right V-Code sent to the 2nd receiver.

Thanks for the help.

nightheron 2013-06-11 09:29 AM

I had something similar happen yesterday after my lnb upgrade. I got home at the end of the day and my guide was reset to the classic lineup and some of my channels were missing. I used SD's online chat feature and after a good cardio workout running up and down the stairs for the CSR to check the codes on my receivers, everything was corrected and I was back on the advanced lineup. Both my receivers had to be hit separately and both ended up with different codes (one is a 630 and the other is a 505). The CSR seemed to understand right away what was going on and commented that the CSRs operating the installer line have a habit of putting everyone on the classic lineup even if they were previously on the advanced lineup.

Bayguy 2013-06-11 12:11 PM

Nightheron are all the same chans on both lineups or did you lose some or are you just used to the ADV lineup and didnt want to have to learn new chan numbers?

nightheron 2013-06-11 01:12 PM

Both lineups have all the same channels, just different numbers. But I lost some channels. I wasn't able to find FX, H2 and I'm sure Movietime was also missing after the upgrade. I tried tuning directly to H2 after looking up the classic # on SD's website and nothing happened. My 630 was also acting strange when I browsed the guide, quitting randomly and giving me "please wait while the program guide loads" messages for a second or two before coming back up. Also, as I was scrolling down through the list of channels to see what was where, it randomly jumped back to the top of the list and I would have to start all over again. The upgrade was done a few hours earlier so there shouldn't have been anything to load. I didn't try resetting my receiver. Maybe that would have fixed it, but I didn't want the classic lineup anyways so contacted SD right away. After they sent new codes to get me back on the advanced lineup, everything worked fine without having to reset, no more guide lockups and H2 was right where it should be and working fine.

SomeTech 2013-06-11 01:27 PM

There's been a few issues with receivers switching from the advanced lineup back to the classic. A lot of the time it boils down to resetting the receiver, but I'm glad that they were able to fix the issue without having to do much else.