Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Television Industry / Channels and Providers (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-television-industry-channels-providers/)
-   -   VMedia, IPTV Provider Discussions (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-television-industry-channels-providers/163673-vmedia-iptv-provider-discussions.html)

Chasseur 2013-03-27 10:47 AM

VMedia, IPTV Provider Discussions

VMedia, a new IPTV provider, is launching today: www.vmedia.ca

Anyone knows more about it?

XM4243 2013-03-27 11:55 AM

Article in yesterdays Globe about it if you are interested.

Edit by 57, May be behind paywall:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...29/?cmpid=rss1

GeorgeBurger 2013-03-27 12:12 PM

Hi I know quite a bit more about it, or should especially since I along with our team have been up all night getting the website ready for the launch, among a million other things. I am still acquainting myself with DH's business promotion rules, so I won't get into too much, but we will be up and running very shortly(we um reset the clock a bit...)

proudcanadian 2013-03-27 12:18 PM

is this service in brockville ontario

Tridus 2013-03-27 12:34 PM

Interesting. Looks like it's prrimarily Ontario focused right now.

GeorgeBurger 2013-03-27 12:59 PM

Hi Not yet, we hope to be licensed in that market by June. Best regards George.

brownstar 2013-03-27 01:27 PM

Any plans to offer the service in BC?

pedro 2013-03-27 08:45 PM

Seems to be a bit of negativity in the G&M comments section about this service, including some from Hugh himself, which I don't get - don't we want to encourage competition in this space, if only to drive some innovation?

RE: lack of a-la-carte choices - Isn't this more a factor of CRTC rules than anything else? VMedia's site says that they are planning "UChoose" and "standalone" offers by mid-May.

RE: no HD package - from VMedia site - Every channel that we offer which comes in HD, we deliver in HD. All SD channels at launch which have HD versions will be converted to HD by mid-May.

RE: Expensive hardware - $60 to purchase a set-top box. Priced a Rogers box for purchase lately? There's an option to rent it for $6/mo but in 10 months I've bought it. How often do you change TV providers? I don't want to watch TV on my computer, I want to watch it on my TV, so some type of set-top box is expected.

travisc 2013-03-27 10:59 PM

The lack of a la carte choices isn't really the CRTC's fault. To some extent you can blame them for the stuff that is forced to go on basic, but the channels and their restrictive/protective contracts are to blame for much of the bundling that goes on.

XM4243 2013-03-28 07:44 AM

Simple for me, no PVR, no sale.

Even if you can live without a PVR, how about this from their FAQ.

Quote:

Do I need a separate VBox for each TV and is there an additional fee?
A VBox is required for each TV set to enable content delivery and all the interactive features. There is a fee of $6.95 for each additional TV set because of the added data usage.
If you have three tv's then you are going to pay $14 a month on top of the prices on the website.

With three TV's the premium basic would be $53.95 per month plus $14 a month equals $68. If you got the kids and sports package then that would be another $24 a month. $92 bucks a month for something that uses up all your internet bandwidth?

blueroomelectro 2013-03-28 11:03 AM

Is this cheaper than cable TV? Is it live or on demand?

Is it H.264, H.265 (new) or proprietary compression?

Sounds like it'll chew through your bandwidth post haste.

Boavista 2013-03-28 06:17 PM

cut the cord recently.. to bad they require you to get internet through them or else id have signed up today. O well.. ill just keep waiting for zazeen

BKman74 2013-03-28 07:46 PM

I like how they put basic to $0 a month though. To the person who said will this be available in BC, it would probably take them a long time to bring it to BC since they are not only new but a small provider. It's also cool how you can run apps that came from the Google Play store.

yyzlhr 2013-03-29 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueroomelectro (Post 1532882)
Is this cheaper than cable TV? Is it live or on demand?

Is it H.264, H.265 (new) or proprietary compression?

Sounds like it'll chew through your bandwidth post haste.

It's only cheaper than traditional cable TV in certain instances. If you're accustomed to the mid to high end tiers with your cable provider, you'll likely find Vmedia to be more expensive.

The channels are delivered live, and you must subscribe to Vmedia's internet in order to get their IPTV service, which happens to be unlimited.

proudcanadian 2013-03-30 07:03 PM

will u post here when its expanded to all of ontario