Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/76-smartphone-tablet-computing-including-android-blackberry-ios-devices/)
-   -   iOS 6 discussion (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/76-smartphone-tablet-computing-including-android-blackberry-ios-devices/154404-ios-6-discussion.html)

TorontoColin 2012-06-11 04:21 PM

iOS 6 discussion

Quote:

Looks like they didn't print the banner out for nothing -- as anticipated, it's not just refreshed MacBook Airs or Mountain Lion getting the red carpet treatment at today's World Wide Developer's Conference keynote. Cupertino has also taken the shiny cling wrap off of the latest version of iOS. What's new? Well at least 200 things!
Engadget

TorontoColin 2012-06-11 04:26 PM

Nothing earth shattering, I don't think. Mostly refinements to iOS.

Some useful things for existing iOS device owners, but I don't see anything there that would make me want an iOS device if I didn't already, except maybe Siri on the iPad.

jshel101 2012-06-11 04:29 PM

I like the new Maps app, and the fact that you now will be able to use Siri to search locations in Canada.

NeilN 2012-06-11 08:43 PM

Quote:

VIP Mail filtering – Every professional has some contacts that are more important than others. Your boss, certain employees that report to you, high-profile clients/customers, and key suppliers or consultants are some examples. These are often people who you need to hear from regardless of what else is going on. The new VIP feature in Mail allows you to easily designate those people as VIPs. Messages from get special treatment including notifications in your iPhone or iPad’s lock screen ensuring that you know immediately if there is a problem, a change in plans, or other information that you need to act on quickly.
Finally. I don't expect this iteration to be as powerful as the Blackberry's email alert system but at least it's a start.

rob1 2012-06-12 08:43 AM

New Maps look cool - with turn by turn built in.

I now just need a good in car iphone holder.... :p

Larry 2012-06-12 09:33 AM

One things I wonder about Maps. So its clear that the built-in Map app will use Apple's (actually I hear it is from Tom-Tom). But will any app that displays maps, which now use the Google version, automagically use the new Apple version once iOS 6 is out?

Bub71 2012-06-12 10:58 AM

ipad 2 no Siri.

If you go to the Apple site they list what is going to be on the new OS 6 and they say that Siri for the ipad will only be compatible with the ipad 3. This really sucks, just a money grab for Apple.

99semaj 2012-06-12 11:31 AM

Maps is appealing, as is iPad Siri/Dictation (especially with Canada support), but the rest of it is really minor.

More like OS5.2 to me, but I'm not complaining...it's still a great mobile ecosphere, and I can appreciate Apple making smaller incremental steps in order to dramatically reduce the OS fragmentation that plagues others.

BGY11 2012-06-12 01:56 PM

There is still some fragmentation here, as not all features in iOS6 will work on all devices that can run the OS. Granted, not as much as Apple's primary competitor, but still something to take note of.

audacity 2012-06-12 02:34 PM

Based on the rumors I was expecting Apple to significantly one-up Google in the mapping department.

I suppose this is why I found Apple's maps announcement underwhelming. Especially when it doesn't support a equivalent of the (very handy) street view feature. I really like how Google Navigation switches to street view as you approach your destination.

rfielder 2012-06-13 10:48 AM

The new Maps is far less enticing to those of us who already own TomTom on the iPhone.

FYI, I have a navigation app on my Android tablet that also uses the TomTom maps. That app is pretty brain dead - it often misses shorter routes, and seems to be missing streets.

Last weekend in Owen Sound, I used both my iPhone and my tablet to see what route to take from the farm we were at, to Harrison Park - and the iPhone's route was shorter, faster, and used a street that the Android app did not seem to know about.

Therefore, an app that uses TomTom maps is not necessarily better. Getting updates to the maps, and having a good routing engine, are just as important.

My conclusion is that Apple will work the TomTom angle on their navigation app, but that does not guarantee that it will be any better than the app it replaces.....

Coop 2012-06-17 06:31 PM

I wonder how many apps will have to rewrite their code to handle the new maps app. I'm starting to get tired of all app upgrades because of the changes apple makes:mad:

jshel101 2012-06-18 10:00 AM

IMO, Apple is making the changes for the better. I am curious how many complaints Apple would get if they didn't change anything? Unless you develop apps, not sure what the big deal is to having to update your apps. Every 3 or 4 days I update all my apps on iTunes, so the next time my devices sync, they will be updated also. Takes 15 seconds to check for new updates and click the Update All button. :rolleyes:

Wayne 2012-06-18 10:08 AM

Many of the recent app updates have been to make the apps look better on the retina display. Apparently many of the apps have doubled in size but this has no value for those of us with iPad 1s or 2s and it has a disadvantage as it leaves less room for media files, especially if you have dozens of apps.

jshel101 2012-06-18 10:55 AM

In this case, I think the developers should be making two sets of apps. One just for retina display models, and one for non Retina.