Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   What's On Television? (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-whats-television/)
-   -   A&E/Netflix "Longmire" Series (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-whats-television/154199-e-netflix-longmire-series.html)

NovaMan 2012-06-03 06:09 PM

A&E/Netflix "Longmire" Series

The A&E "Longmire" Series, based on the Walt Longmire Mysteries by Craig Johnson.
 Premiers tonight, June 3rd, 2012 (10PM Eastern).

They are calling "Longmire," a contemporary crime thriller set in Big Sky country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsmMmYOJSKY..

If you like modern westerns you should like this.

NovaMan 2012-06-04 04:51 PM

Well, I watched Longmire last night. The plot line is good but the acting is not the best. I may watch the next episode but I will not bother setting my PVR because if I miss one of the promised 10 segments, I will not be all that sad. :-)

I am still waiting for the ultimate must see western.

Lindsay649 2012-06-06 10:52 AM

It appears that every original idea has been used. Like many people having watched movies and television for over fifty years I find that nothing is new. Colour then HD added a bit of "newness" but that has rapidily disappeared. Heaven forbid that we may have to read books again.....but I am told they are just repeats of prevous original ideas. Probably will not watch anymore of the Longmire series.

sherds 2012-06-06 06:51 PM

longmire adaptation

The books are excellent and this adaptation not so much .Robert Taylor is quite good and i hope the cast just might need time to jell. The writing on the series also needs to improve .The female deputy in the books is a sailor swearing hot blooded woman of italian descent from philadelphia so the tv take is quite different .The relationship between walt and henry bear is also key and i'm not sure they got that right yet either . Filmed in new mexico not wyoming like the books but probably not enough support in Wyoming for filming . Worth a look or read the first book in the series and then look .

arthur

NovaMan 2012-06-12 02:15 PM

I did watch the second episode, and now I do have the PVR set to record the rest. I found the acting better in this one, or else I'm just getting used to Robert Taylor's style of acting. I also found the supporting actors better (Katee Sackhoff, Cassidy Freeman and Lou Diamond Phillips); or I'm getting used to the characters, also.

nursedude 2012-06-13 01:58 PM

I watched both episodes last night. Enjoyed them and will probably watch the rest of the season.

Spidinator 2012-06-22 02:38 PM

Fav new show!!! I didnt know that Cassidy Freeman was his daughter in it but I love her in Smallville and now I love this show even more!!

sherds 2012-06-24 02:05 PM

re Longmire up till now

Very little back story on the characters compared to the books .Taylors broody Longmire is ok but even he is not very well fleshed out . If you haven't read the books the series i suppose it is somewhat appealing .Still think the writing is not up to par and the cast has not really gotten a sense of themselves which is also a function partly of the scripts.

arthur

PSG. 2012-06-28 07:43 PM

^^^^^^
You can't compare any TV show/movie to the book. It will never live up.
I really like the show, I think if you take it for what it is and don't continually compare it to the book, it's a pretty good show.

Dr.Dave 2012-06-29 09:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
‘Longmire’ Renewed For Season 2.

sherds 2012-06-30 01:50 PM

re re : You can't compare any TV show/movie to the book.

Of course you can if you are aware of both and have the analytical and critical skills to see where one or the other has advantages/disadvantages . A case in point are the harry potter movies which are an excellent translation from the books .The rizzoli and isle series from the books etc etc etc (not the king and I ).Quality of writing, characterization, directing , acting all play a role .
Anyways i am glad they got a second season so they have a longer time to make me a believer .

arthur

sherds 2012-06-30 02:10 PM

re : You can't compare any TV show/movie to the book.

Just thought of another somewhat different example . the tv series Bones vs the series of books by kathy reichs that the tv series is based on .I love the books but the tv series is very very different than the books and yet i find it excellent as well .(maybe bring in hart hanson ? ::p )

arthur

rfielder 2012-07-12 09:00 AM

I am now caught up on this series, and I have to admit to mixed feelings about it. I am going to watch the rest of this season, but the series is just falling a bit short of what I think it could be.....

Somehow, Robert Taylor is just not cutting it for me as the sherrif. He just seems kind of out of it too much of the time. Too many pauses that at first looked like dramatic effect, but after a while look more like "oh SH*t, what is my line?".

A telling sign - in episode 5, "Dog Soldier", when the sherrif is having his face-to-face confrontation with the social worker at the end of the episode, the closeups of the sherrif show his pupils extremely dilated. Given the amount of light used on a TV set, and the fact that the eyes of the actress playing the "sociopath" social worker have normal pupils, Taylor just looks totally stoned. I think he also acts like someone who is high but is hiding it often.

Also - a sign of the same sort of mindset that makes Americans look for snow and igloos when they cross the border - I was surprised at first that we never see the sherrif on a horse! After all, this is Wyoming, right? ;)

sherds 2012-07-13 02:05 PM

Robert Taylor He just seems kind of out of it .

Interesting observation . All the characters seem a bit wooden even this many episodes in .The flashbacks that walt gets about what happened in Denver ? seems like the writers are taking an easier way out instead of flashing back to the book characters experience in Vietnam .
The walt/henry friendship is so great in the books .Wish they could portray that better .
Ah well. i too will keep watching as it comes after the glades which i am also finding fairly flat this year .Longworth/longmire too long or longing or along for the ride (on those cliché wyomingians )

arthur

Dr.Dave 2013-04-10 04:35 PM

Season 2 Monday, May 27 (Memorial Day)

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Season Two of the contemporary crime thriller “Longmire” premieres Monday, May 27th at 10 PM ET/PT immediately following the fourth season premiere of the hit drama “The Glades” at 9 PM ET/PT.
Press Release.