Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Videotron (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/60-videotron/)
-   -   New Videotron modem for phone & internet not compatible with some routers ? (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/60-videotron/151041-new-videotron-modem-phone-internet-not-compatible-some-routers.html)

David Zeno 2012-02-05 01:04 PM

New Videotron modem for phone & internet not compatible with some routers ?

Hi guys,

I recently switched over to Videotron's service for telephone ( I had their internet for many years without any problems )

The new modem the tech installed at my home was changed because I changed my bundle and went with Videotron for phone also.

Since this happened, I get intermittent signal from my D-Link router to computers. Signals to all my computers ( WiFi ) tell me the signal from router to my computers is excellent ( signal strength ) however, the problem likes FROM the Videotron modem TO the D-link router.

This can happen every 10 mins or less, to sometimes going for days without a problem. Last night, I had to unplug my D-link router every 10 mins or so, a good 5 or 6 times last night, before I got tired and went to bed. So, I unplug the modem, count 10 seconds and plug it back in..... the computer then gets internet a few moments later,, sometimes lasting for hours, sometimes only lasting 5 or 10 mins. Sometimes, the problem will go away by itself, ( internet will go off, then all of a sudden it comes back on, but then will go off again 10 mins later )

There must be some sort of incompatibility between the Videotron modem and this D-Link router. Is there a possibility this is the problem ?

Hopefully I'm not the only one who has this problem, and I can get some help. The modem is a D-Link model, it's white, has 3 antennas, and is model number: DIR-655

I even tried the hard wire ports on the back of the modem to several computers, and even the hard wire lan connection does not I get a "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

If I disconnect the router completely and run the modem with Ethernet cable to any of the computer directly, the problem disappears ( I get internet access )

any help with this is MUCH appreciated, thanks for your time !

P.S. - I should also note that last night I did a hard reset of the D-Link router, pressing the "reset" button, which brought the router back to factory settings. However this morning, the same problem still exists :-(

toofart 2012-02-06 01:15 PM

Make sure your router has the latest firmware. I have the DIR-655 and Videotron's phone service also and it works flawlessly.

smlunatick 2012-02-07 05:08 PM

There has been a "known" problem with a lot of D-Link routers and their WAN ports. The default setting of "Auto" for the WAN link cable speeds has been shown to cause problems with some Internet access units. You should be able to set it to a "fixed" speed (10 - 100 - 1000) so as to try to maintain a constant connection.