Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Shaw Direct Satellite (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/)
-   -   New receiver -700 series (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/150627-new-receiver-700-series.html)

Newman101 2012-01-22 08:46 PM

New receiver -700 series

Was on the phn with shaw direct this afternoon regarding a faulty 505. I asked about upgrading to a 605 and then the rep mentioned that shaw will be releasing a 700 series receiver this year along with the new satellite being operational.
He said it will be a whole home dvr along with many other features - said similar to shaws cable system.

Anyone have more info?

Sirius Guy 2012-01-22 09:27 PM

Hoping they come up with a single coax solution for the dvr.

Ralph2 2012-01-22 11:19 PM

So we will all need to buy a new receiver soon.. great.

Danny001 2012-01-23 09:55 AM

you've got to be kidding me, I just upgraded all 5 of mine to the 600 series!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had just about enough of SD!!!!!

Ouser 2012-01-23 10:31 AM

its a rumour- please note!

Okay- lets not overreact. This is a RUMOUR. No offense to the OP, but he has only 1 post.

Let's confirm this before we react. I was told that the 630 could be used as a whole home pvr with the appropriate updates.

With SD, promises are the carrott.

:o

bigoranget 2012-01-23 11:19 AM

The issue that Shaw Direct has over and over again, is the promise new features with future software updates. It seems the updates never come until new hardware is released because they determine that the current fleat can't hanle new features.

classicsat 2012-01-23 11:36 AM

I don't think you will "need" to upgrade. I would thing the 6xx series will be good for quite a while, at least just to receive TV. I think that the 6xx can do whole home, plus eSATA DVR expander, ad maybe Shaw VOD.

Whishful thinking, is that they would totally make Shaw Direct compatible versions of the DirecTV HR22 platform, which uses at least both SWiM (Single Wire Multiswitch), and coaxial networking which they call DECA. Or at least their versions of the same thing.

The other way would be to have a four tuner DVR gateway box, and the same client boxes the Shaw Cable gateway uses.

Newman101 2012-01-23 02:18 PM

I may only have one post (2 now!) but that doesn't mean I am spreading false rumors...
That is exactly what the service rep told me.

ae_collector 2012-01-23 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ouser (Post 1378609)
I was told that the 630 could be used as a whole home pvr with the appropriate updates.

I was told that the 530 could be used as a PVR with the appropriate updates....7 to 14 days guide, dual recording....

gzink 2012-01-23 05:26 PM

And not to take anything away, it may be true, but we all know what some csr's actually know. ;-). And why would we need to replace? To keep up with the Jones's?

skifan 2012-01-23 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gzink (Post 1378804)
....And why would we need to replace? To keep up with the Jones's?

Well, a unit that had enough processing power to actually do what is advertised would be nice. :rolleyes:

Boxman 2012-01-24 12:58 PM

They are working on this, has been discussed for awhile but is probably just getting into the cost feasibility range

MikeDRiley 2012-01-27 06:11 PM

Certainly nothing to get excited about anyway. After all the hooplah, the 600 series does nothing (not counting DVR capabilities) except: offer a smaller box, a cooler (but less intuitive) remote, and a completely pathetic and sorry excuse for an INFO screen(s). Who were they kidding? This board was rife with hope and expectations for about four years, regarding the new INFO capability alone, and look what they gave us. Not only a mere skeleton of information (still WAY more info on the Zap2It site) and TWO screens just to get the date. Wow.

Installer 2012-01-27 09:04 PM

this is a rumour, there has been no release of info on a new 700 series receiver.

Twics 2015-10-28 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Installer (Post 1380438)
this is a rumour, there has been no release of info on a new 700 series receiver.

I dropped in to Best Buy a few days ago to pick up two 600 receivers, they are only $100 and I have two open ports on my multi switch and two TV's not is use, so made sense.

Best Buy had none in that store and only a few left chain wide so I was told by the Mgr. He said the 600 was discontinued and new model (is this the dawn of the "700"?) will be available next week (November 2).

Hmmmm? What does a retailer of Shaw product know? I though screw it and ordered one 600 from BB online and set it up just in case its not true. If I see new one next week they can help me trade up!

I don't believe it but I just had to share the tidbit rumor!