Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/)
-   Television Industry / Channels and Providers (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-television-industry-channels-providers/)
-   -   New Channel "TSN Jets" Announced (https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-television-industry-channels-providers/144621-new-channel-tsn-jets-announced.html)

Techman224 2011-08-31 04:14 PM

New Channel "TSN Jets" Announced

Quote:

Winnipeg – True North Sports & Entertainment, in conjunction with Bell Media, are pleased to announce today they have entered into a 10-year agreement awarding the regional television broadcast rights for the Winnipeg Jets to TSN, and the radio broadcast rights for the hockey club to Sports Radio 1290.

As part of the agreement, TSN will broadcast more than 60 regional regular season and pre-season games each season to fans in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nunavut, the Northwest Territories and parts of Northwestern Ontario on the new specialty channel "TSN Jets" – a part-time television service dedicated to Jets games and launching September 20.
Quote:

TSN Jets
TSN is in discussions with television service providers in the broadcast region with the hope of ensuring the broadest possible distribution of Jets games. Carriage of TSN Jets has already been confirmed by Bell TV, launching September 20 on Bell TV on Channel 1423 in High Definition and on Channel 423 in Standard Definition.

The Jets broadcast region includes Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nunavut and the Northwest Territories, plus parts of Northwestern Ontario including Kenora, Dryden and Thunder Bay.
Looks like a new channel is coming, and they are setting up a bureau here in Winnipeg to cover the Jets and other sports.

bigoranget 2011-08-31 04:18 PM

So in other words the majority of people that would want to see the Jets aren't going to have access. Shaw services almost all of that territory. This will be a huge issue if a carriage agreement is not reached with Shaw.

Techman224 2011-08-31 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigoranget (Post 1309100)
So in other words the majority of people that would want to see the Jets aren't going to have access. Shaw services almsot all of that territory. This will be a huge issue if a carriage agreement is not reached with Shaw.

Unless there's another company in the area like SaskTel, tbaytel, or MTS.

Connor 2011-09-01 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigoranget (Post 1309100)
So in other words the majority of people that would want to see the Jets aren't going to have access. Shaw services almsot all of that territory. This will be a huge issue if a carriage agreement is not reached with Shaw.

I'm sure the Internet will correct the petty greed of the telecom companies. Every NHL game that is worth seeing is streamed online for free, you just have to find it.

Hybrid 2011-09-01 01:42 AM

Surprised the TSN-Montreal deal wasn't reached with Videotron. I don't see why these games have to be regional. I wish I could watch some of them.

Tridus 2011-09-01 12:32 PM

The NHL really needs to end this regional nonsense.

PrinceLH 2011-09-01 11:43 PM

It'll never happen. They want to gouge and screw everyone, so they have to pay big money to get the Centre Ice Package.

mike70sk 2011-09-02 03:51 AM

Shaw seems indifferent to all the hd channels that customers want them to add.

Tridus 2011-09-02 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrinceLH (Post 1311649)
It'll never happen. They want to gouge and screw everyone, so they have to pay big money to get the Centre Ice Package.

Or people just do what I do: pay less attention to the NHL. Making your product difficult to find isn't a great long term business strategy.

taxman 2011-09-02 09:59 PM

Another question is what this would do to past regional arrangements. Last year Thunder Bay was in both Leafs and Sens territory, and Saskatchewan received the Flames and Oilers. Will these regions become exclusive Jets territory or will they share with the other teams?

PrinceLH 2011-09-09 12:37 AM

I'm sure that there would be some overlap. It's like that in parts of Eastern Ontario. We are eligible for Leafs, Sens and Habs. Unfortunately, Shaw Direct has not picked up the Habs TSN regional feed. I imagine that it has to do with Bell Globe Media and their anticompetitive attitude.

Dr.Dave 2011-09-09 12:52 AM

4 Attachment(s)
TSN just signed a deal for Shaw Direct and Aliant to carry TSN Habs, so there's hope for TSN Jets on the other providers this season.

alebowgm 2011-09-09 10:43 PM

This also isn't really a new station, its just an alternate feed of TSN. Aside from Jets games, there will be no unique content.

cyclist44 2011-09-10 02:28 PM

TSN Jets is a companion channel. Sportsnet has the samething with SNSEN and others. With Sportsnet who have to subscribe to Sportnet One to get the companion channels. My guess is that you have to subscibe to TSN and possibly TSN2 to get the TSN Jets companion channel.

Mozza 2011-09-11 12:08 AM

After all that MTS-Allstream did for Chipman and TNSE during the Moose years... what a way to repay them.

I'm really disappointed in Mr. Chipman and his crew.